Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Skiboard Length Do You Want To See?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, that is a LOT different from what you were saying. You now are working with less than a 70cm running length. In terms of percent length compared to total length of the board, your rockered section is actually a higher percentage of the board than mine (by about 6%). Makes a lot more sense now.

I want mine longer/wider...the goal for me is to make boards shorter about as floaty as the sherpas
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

Spruce deal going on now
      Actually convinced my dad to buy a pair of the 120's, I'm hoping I can get him on the mountain.
      But Off topic.

On topic is...
      So you took the basic ALP design now, and reduced the running length to create bigger tips. Interesting. You could (theroetically) do a similar thing with the 120's or similar (wider?) board, but as I'm sure you realized while playing with the design you have there, it decreases the running length to make bigger tips.

Very interesting stuff.....(to me anyways)
      Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
      Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

that design I put up is defintaly shorter and perhaps floatier than the sherpas but I don't want an excessively wide board becasue that kinda is like having a rocker times 2.

I want the rocker in place of the added with so it rocker adds the float and not the width.

Also if you sized that board out to like a 118 you would probably get that extra effective edge that I was talking about

BTW: those alp models would do ground spins and butters like no ones buisness
        you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Seems doubtful those could be as floaty as sherpas without adding some surface area one way or another

But what do I know?
          Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Yeah, rocker doesn't magically double the surface area or anything. They would be floatier than ALPS, but probably still less than the Condors, 120's, or Sherpas. Taking the board out to 118 (if you are measuring tip to tip with that) would give you an additional 11cm of running length max, getting it up close to 80, which is very similar to a narrower version of what I am designing (I keep retouching my design, eventually when I'm happy I'll post em up).
            I do it because I can.
            I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
              Yeah, rocker doesn't magically double the surface area or anything. They would be floatier than ALPS, but probably still less than the Condors, 120's, or Sherpas. Taking the board out to 118 (if you are measuring tip to tip with that) would give you an additional 11cm of running length max, getting it up close to 80, which is very similar to a narrower version of what I am designing (I keep retouching my design, eventually when I'm happy I'll post em up).

Can't wait to see this magic board
              What's the name for having a rounded (left-right) base?
              Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

idk you'ed be suprised as to what some extra tip height can do in terms of driving you towards the surface, I just want something that has nice flex and high tips and tails.

I would like to see what a 115 board would handle like or something between the 110 and 120 range there are like 3 diffrent board possibilities there that you could make a great buttery floaty pow monster

Comment

Originally posted by nate View Post
                  Can't wait to see this magic board
                  canoe??

Comment

Originally posted by nate View Post
                    Not sure what it would be called, but I suspect that there are more problems with it than would be immediately apparent, the biggest being the stress concentration that it would put on the edges when the board flexed. Now if you kept the board flat and just put a .5mm bezel around the base before getting up to the edges, things would get interesting. It might make getting on edge hard, but would make it really nice for butters. Unfortunately that would probably cost a lot to have done, assuming the manufacturers even have the capabilities.
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

I've heard of park snowboards that way, there was some discussion of making skiboards on one of these threads a while back. The general consensus was it was impractical because you'd have so much trouble getting a good edge.

edit: exactly ska.
                      Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

A straight 100 would be nice.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by rgzip View Post
                          A set of ALPs on steriods 115cm 15/11.2/15
                          yep... stiffer, too.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Working...
                          X