Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you would be willing to tackle the steepest all expert mountain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many of you would be willing to tackle the steepest all expert mountain?

Silverton Mountain is an all double black mountain in Colorado. Its logo is a skier falling off a cliff upside down. It’s the highest and steepest mountain in North America, with the highest vertical drop of 3,087 feet. Avalanche gear is required to ride the one lift. The easiest run is 35 degrees. Not me, no way, no how, no thanks. http://www.silvertonmountain.com/page/home

Last edited by Greco; 02-19-2009, 08:41 AM.
    ’07 Spruce Blue 120
    ’09 ALP 110
    ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
    ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
    ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Looks like fun.
    I'd do it in 2-3 years maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkCloner View Post
      Looks like fun.
      I'd do it in 2-3 years maybe.
      When you do I'll take some life insurance out on you so I can pay off my student loans.

I do like the fact that they have a run called "Fat Guy"

Thanks for adding the pic Greco
      ’07 Spruce Blue 120
      ’09 ALP 110
      ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105

Comment

Originally posted by Matthies View Post
        When you do I'll take some life insurance out on you so I can pay off my student loans.

I do like the fact that they have a run called "Fat Guy"

Thanks for adding the pic Greco
        I'll let you file against the resort

Fat Guy, hahaha

Comment

whens the next trip to CO???
          Lets go there it would make for some great chute riding
          you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Not to be a buzz killer but Silverton has gotten a bit of a negative vibe from folks in the backcountry world , and from the expert skiing community ... perhaps this review sums up some of the negative point of view

http://www.onthesnow.com/colorado/si...review_id=5292

The original intent of Silverton was to provide inexpensive lift served access to the backcountry for avy savy expert skiers to ride on their own .... it has instead become an expensive guide only hike from top of lift area for less expert riders ....
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Jack, that is only partially true. It all depends on when you go and with who. Groups are formed at the beginning of the day, and if you are with a solid group of riders it is pretty amazing. The guide only part is also a lie. There are two options when you go, guided or unguided. Unguided limits the terrain you can ski on a given day, but usually it is still a good day of riding. That review is just one person's take on it. Silverton usually is looked well upon by the maggots over at TGR.

That being said, I am fully planning on taking a trip to Silverton once I at leat have bought my own pack. I am willing to rent a beacon from them, but I would like to have all of my backcountry gear other than my beacon gathered before I make the trip. At this point I am only short a pack, and am deciding if I am going to pay the extra to get an integrated avalung or not. Either way, I would expect that by next season at the latest that I will have made a trip up there.
              I do it because I can.
              I can because I want to.
              I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
              '08 KTPs

Comment

I’ve been to the “town” of Silverton, and its really tiny-tiny, but full of old western charm. There is a really cool steam railroad there the Silverton-Durango narrow gage railroad and they offer winter trips with snowmobiling . If you go to Silverton you gotta ride the Durango railroad, I’m not sure if it goes all the way to Silverton in the winter though. http://www.durangotrain.com/packages...mobile-package
                ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                ’09 ALP 110
                ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
                  Jack, that is only partially true. It all depends on when you go and with who. Groups are formed at the beginning of the day, and if you are with a solid group of riders it is pretty amazing. The guide only part is also a lie. There are two options when you go, guided or unguided. Unguided limits the terrain you can ski on a given day, but usually it is still a good day of riding. That review is just one person's take on it. Silverton usually is looked well upon by the maggots over at TGR.

Thanks for clearing that up Skafreak ...., I had been really excited about the whole idea of Silverton until I started reading some of these reviews and some negative reviews over at telemarktips....
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Zero Pro Non release Binding
                  Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                  Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                  Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I'd like to go...although, I think I would need some bigger boards
                    Revel8 ALPdors
                    Gold Revel8 Receptors
                    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                    ____
                    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
                      Thanks for clearing that up Skafreak ...., I had been really excited about the whole idea of Silverton until I started reading some of these reviews and some negative reviews over at telemarktips....
                      If you ever decide to head out to Silverton give me a heads up. If I can it happen it would be great to ride with you up there.

I did just remember another thing about Silverton that happened recently that has a lot of the backcountry skiers shaking their heads. Rumor has it that in the area marked "The Lake" on the map right below The Grande and Gnar is currently Shawn White's personal halfpipe. There are several pictures showing it, but official word is still pretty hush about it's existance.
                      I do it because I can.
                      I can because I want to.
                      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                      '08 KTPs

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak View Post
                        If you ever decide to head out to Silverton give me a heads up. If I can it happen it would be great to ride with you up there.

I did just remember another thing about Silverton that happened recently that has a lot of the backcountry skiers shaking their heads. Rumor has it that in the area marked "The Lake" on the map right below The Grande and Gnar is currently Shawn White's personal halfpipe. There are several pictures showing it, but official word is still pretty hush about it's existance.
                        http://espn.go.com/action/snowboardi...g?post=3916704

*edit* put a better link with pipe circled

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                          I'd like to go...although, I think I would need some bigger boards
                          If I've learned one thing this season, you never need bigger boards.

Comment

haha, care to elaborate?
                            Revel8 ALPdors
                            Gold Revel8 Receptors
                            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                            ____
                            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

oh definitely id ski something there just not on skiboards haha. i was skiing a 45 degree slope last saturday on my skiboards though.

Search & Win

Comment

Working...
                              X