Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asthma Sucks!

So does crashing at high speeds!

So I was out on a double-black diamond this Sunday, I was trying to get my moguls down. I'm getting along pretty good, but it's really exhausting, I blow by a ski patrol guy as well as a few other people making their way down the mountain. I start having trouble breathing, it'll be okay though, I haven't had an asthma related incident in a long time. I can control my breathing, just breathe. Yeah...

According to the ski patrol guy that I was lucky enough to pass, I had a magnificent fall going at what he thought was around 30 miles per hour. I had passed out due to lack of oxygen. Luckily my body was completely limp, and I apparently tumbled about 50 yards down the mountain before laying still.

And all I got out of that experience is a magnificent bruise that goes from the top of my boot to about 8 inches above my knee.

Boards: Revel8 Revolt "Trees" / Revel8 2008 KTPs / Line Jedi
    Bindings: Bombers / FF Pros
    Boots: Raichle 125s

Facebook

Damn that sucks, it happens to me while I am on the trampoline but has never happened to me while skiing. I was getting close to having issues in the trees at Jay though.
    Revel8 ALPdors
    Gold Revel8 Receptors
    Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
    ____
    Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
    If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

I haven't had a problem with my asthma since I was in High School Football. And that was only during conditioning when we were carrying tires up hills that I normally have a hard time climbing on my dirtbike.

I've gotten pretty good at controling my breathing and powering through any issues, but jeez, either I'm losing my touch, or that's the most work I've done in a while.

Boards: Revel8 Revolt "Trees" / Revel8 2008 KTPs / Line Jedi
      Bindings: Bombers / FF Pros
      Boots: Raichle 125s

Facebook

Comment

My wife has been in emergency twice in the last month. She is a science teacher. The last time her pet mouse triggered the attack. Last weekend, her hamster cage caused it. It's nothing to mess around with. Reptiles are good... bearded dragons, anoles, turtles and gekcos.
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I had a beardie...it had a calcium deficency and died last year...
          Revel8 ALPdors
          Gold Revel8 Receptors
          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
          ____
          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

This is actually a good topic in the bigger sense. I'm insulin dependent and I guess about a month ago I whacked out (BS too low to support consciousness) at the shop. Terribly embarrassing, scared the living shit out of everyone and I ended up taking a little ride to the ER. All of it could have been prevented if I'd had simply stopped to eat lunch when I'm supposed to. About all that was good about it was we were in the shop so no one except staff seen/was part of the incident. I pass that on to say I also am part of the "broken machine" club.

We need to always remember we were/are built just a little differently and must remember our diseases/conditions never take a minute off. They are always there. I'm as guilty as anyone of acting like I can somehow play and beat the odds. The lowest blood sugar I've ever recorded on the slopes was 9. For anyone who knows anything about blood sugar I was essentially in a hypoglycemic coma. I thought I was just having one of those days where I couldn't get it together. When my vision went 2 dimensional on me (a very weird feeling by the way) I remembered that I'm not bullet proof and checked my BS.

If you are riding with others make sure they are aware of your condition, where you keep your medication (which pocket) if any, what are the signs you are succumbing to your condition and most importantly what to do to help. There is no shame in being afflicted and no loss of standing by informing those around you.

No matter what conditions we have we prove on a regular basis that we can overcome and adjust to them. Of course we can - we are skiboarders. But, for our own safety and the safety/piece of mind of those around us we must never forget exactly how special we are.
            "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

I don't have asthma, but my contacts did get frozen in my eyes last time

i had huuuge red streaks going down the whites of my eyes

Comment

Working...
              X