The first hill that ever scared me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The first hill that ever scared me

Back from Jay Jam, and it was an awesome trip. Tons of glades, powder, stashes... really the best skiing you're going to get on the east coast. Jay hadn't had snow in quite a while, but it was still more powder than anywhere else on the east. I found myself literally burried (and stuck) up to my chest at one point. It was actually the first time that I could have almost been content not riding any park.

Anyway, for as long as I can remember, since I have been skiboarding I have never ever seen a hill anywhere that had scared me. Really, I had never seen anything that I wouldn't just immediately ride without thinking about. For the first time ever, this changed at Jay.

Now, Jay is a pretty tall mountain, and not just by east coast standards. There is a gondala that goes 95% of the way to the top of the mountain, and from there, there is a rock face above which you can reach by hiking. The hike up, as Greco stated, looks like you are "walking accross the moon." It is basically a mix of windblown snow and craterlike rocks. Once at the top, the view is incredible. You can see mountains all the way in Canada.

After about 5 seconds of being amazed by the view, it was time for the fun part, figuring out where to ride. The first spot we looked was crazy... it was about a 30 foot drop over a rock face onto trees... probably not the best idea. After walking along the ridge for a little, we eventually found a chute that appeared ridable.

Now, I have ridden things that were extremely steep before. I have ridden things that were rocky. And, being and east coaster, I have ridden more ice than anything else. But put these all together to an extreme, and this was something I had never faced... or even seen

What we had was an extremely steep chute maybe 8 to 10 feet wide between rocky ledges on either side. You had to dodge a rock on the left, immediately dodge another on the right, then jump around again to straighten down the chute, and shoot over about 10' of rocks to ride out the chute for its remainder of about 40 feet until you got to where it was level enough to stop before entering a forest of untouched glades. Topping it off, the whole top section was a sheet of ice since it was the windblown face, which was followed by powder once you got down towards the bottom of the chute.

Looking at this from the top was the first time I ever felt scared looking at a hill. I started getting the same type of adrenaline rush eyeing it up as I normally would trying something new in the park. It was crazy. It was the first time in all my years of skiboarding that just a non-park run gave me this feeling.

It was Mark, Kirk S, Greco, and myself at this point. Greco told Kirk S that he really didn't think he should do it, but Kirk S wanted it. Mark went first and just flew down, dodging both rocks up top, launching over the set in the middle, and shooting down to soft powder, and sat there looking back up at us. I went next. It was fun. Really fun. The boards were able to hold enough on the ice, giving just enough edge grip to stay in control to dodge the rocks through the chute. Kirk S came after, and it looked a million times better to see it from below. It was the first time I saw something on skiboards looked like "real" mountain skiing. The feeling after that chute was same type of rush I normally only get from park riding. It was awesome.

After the chute, there was a huge section of untracked glades that we had all to ourselves. It was amazing. There were feet of powder everywhere... even more than I saw out in Colorado last year. This one run made the whole trip worth it...

... WOW.

What an experience for you and your friends.

Looking forward to pics & vids of all of JJ.
    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

nice one dude.
      Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

FACE CHUTES

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Looks awesome hopefully I can make it next year.

Comment

I really cant explain this is words so here is a picture. it doesn't do it justice but you like kirk said you just had to see it from the bottom,

total claimer

this was the less steep part after the chute but it gives you an idea of the angle. Just imagine it going almost straight up

I had been telling kirk all day that we were going to do that notch in the mountain and it was a success.
              21 hour drive and that run was worth it
              you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

That is a VERY sketchy entry. Its often the same with this very high stuff, the top gets windblown and icy, but beyond that, a bit lower down, the powder really collects and makes it all worth it. Brill.
                Crossbow (go to dream board)
                Most everything else over time.
                Go Android

Comment

Nice work guys ! Bravo !
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Zero Pro Non release Binding
                  Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                  Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                  Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Looks like fun. We need to get you guys out to Taos...and on that note I have some people to be getting in touch with...
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.
                    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                    '08 KTPs

Comment

After reading that, I'm glad I didn't continue down from the top. I figured it would be beyond my skill level, so I went back down the stairs.

Did Greco get video of you guys going down the chute?
                      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

My, my. That looks steep guys. Good work.
                        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Not sure if there was any vid of them doing that the drop was too steep to see anything other then what looked like a cliff from the top but i wasnt with them at that point, so idk... was definanitly very itimidating standing up there with the high winds and ice next to a cliff you could not even see below you...when me and joey went up there many skiers turned and went back down as soon as they seen what they would be facing...
                          Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

Intense

One day, I will be that good
                            Keep it up guys!

Comment

Nice run, and steep! Glad to see you had a great time.

Worst run I had was a section in Park City, like an idiot, I followed a bunch of friends to an area that we found out afterwards was out of bounds. It was about that steep, rocks, tree stumps everywhere, saplings, broken branches, etc... there was no clear chute line at all, had to zigzag your way through every 3-4 feet to avoid something, I was the only one that was able to make it down (woohoo skiboards!), everyone else either fell or slide, and all of them eventually took off their equipment and slid down their butts.
                              Edward in NYC

Comment

Working...
                              X