back from beaver creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back from beaver creek

I’m back from my trip to Beaver Creek. I spent 2 of the days at Vail. Both of these resorts are awesome. Unfortunately, it only snowed only about 2 inches over the 5 days. It seems like I am usually at the resorts on the wrong weeks for my out-of-state trips. Beaver Creek has a lot on nice groomed terrain. Trees are a little too tight or the terrain was too steep to ride the trees for the snow conditions. On the other hand, Vail’s back bowls still had lots of mixed crud and soft snow mixed with moguls. There are lots of tree areas that can be ridden. For this trip, I brought Hagans, Sherpas, and Lacroix Carbons. I skied the Sherpas the first day out at BC and met up with Matthies for about an hour in the morning. It was very interesting skiing with him and trying to help him get of that long ski posture that skiers use on skiboards. I had to stop and think at times watching his heels slide and think of how to instruct him to do something that is now so second nature to me. The rest of the day I skied with a couple of club members that knew the resort very well. The Sherpas performed great on all the groomers we skied. The only time I bogged down a bit was on the traverse going over to Arrowhead. I have the Sherpas and Lacroix edges very sharp. They are too sharp as I found out on this trip. At 88 degrees, I could feel the tips and tails of the Sherpas hook up every time I hit a really hard icy spot. This would sometime cause the tips or tails to wobble. I plan to reset the edges of both boards to 89 degrees. The sharp edges really saved my butt on top of the Birds of Pray downhill course though. They water down the top of the course to create a 30 foot sheet of steep ice. You either need to traverse across to the soft snow on the other side or ski straight down it. On the second day out when I was ridding the Lacroix’s, none of us had the guts to ski down the ice. The first two of my buddies skied out on the ice sheet to traverse across it and slid out and down. The third person made it across. I said to myself, this is the extreme test of edge hold for a skiboard. I stepped out and started across. I was amazed that I could not only could hold and edge, but I could even step up as I went to where softer snow was. When I got to the bottom of the ice sheet, another group of skiers tried skiing straight down. Two out of the three made it..so it was like pick your poison. I tried two mogul runs on the Lacroixs. The first time I tried to do it without poles to see if I could get this soft edge thing. I’m terrible at this. My friend yelled at me to use my poles. Until I could stick a pole on top of the bump and time my turn, I couldn’t ski them.

The second 2 days, we skied at Vail. This is the biggest resort I’ve skied in North America. I highly recommend a full week trip there. I definitely will be back. Vail has these huge back bowls. We stayed in the bowls all day and never even made it to ski the front side. On a good powder day, one could ski a single bowl all day. No powder day for me though for this trip. At Vail, I skied the Hagans. This is my number one ski. The more I ski it, the more I love it. I don’t think any skiboard can come close to the performance of this short ski. Many of my buddies with their long performance skis could slowly cruise past me, but considering they were riding sticks up to 50 cm longer than me, I was doing really great and loving it. In the bumps, I could make it down the run in about half the time it took my group. The variable terrain riding at Vail was a blast. My legs are in shape and ready for Shredfest.

Wendell
    Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Wendell:

Thanks for the report. We have been to Breck and the mountains around Aspen, but never Vail or Beaver Creek. We talk about Vail all the time but have never pulled the trigger. Sounds like you all had a great trip.

Bill

Comment

Great report , Wendell , thanks ! glad you had a great time ! You are a lucky man , Beaver Creek and then Shredfest coming up ! Looking forward to riding with you soon !

Jack
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Fabulous report. Thank you. Hey, I've heard that lift tickets at Vail are like $200 per day. Is that true?
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
          Fabulous report. Thank you. Hey, I've heard that lift tickets at Vail are like $200 per day. Is that true?
          Mahatma, That is with exchange if travelling from Canada.

wjeong, Great report.
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Slow,

Thanks. Whew. Let's see, that would be $1,000 for the Mahatma family for lift tickets alone for a single day. I think we'll be living vicariously on this one.
            "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Mahatma,

I think the lift tickets for the day were something like $98. People with Heavenly Valley season passes could use them. Vail owns Beaver Creek and Heavenly now. By the way, I only saw 3 other skiboarders on this trip besides Matthies. They were skiing Salomon snowblades. I referred them to here. One of the guys was interested in my Sherpa. He said his wife would only ski skiboards.

Wendell
              Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
              History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Also, and I did not think of this before or I would have mentioned it to Wendell, but you can get a season pass for as low as $500 something for unlimited skiing at Vail, Beaver Creek, Heavenly, Keystone, Breckinridge and A-basin, so if you here for a more than five days it’s a good deal. Also as a season pass holder I can get discount buddy tickets so if anyone else is heading out here and we meet up, let me get the tickets and we can save about $25.
                ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                ’09 ALP 110
                ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Man, $500 for a season pass sounds like a bargain. I thought something ran a bit afoul. I skiboard sometimes with a guy from Colorado and he told me his father has a lifetime pass to Vail purchased for him by his family for a birthday or Christmas present and it was only about $6,000 if I remember the conversation correctly. OK, so Vail can still be an option when I bring everyone home on vacation. $100 a day is do-able (after all it is Vail). More seems extravagant.

Comment

Man, $500 for a season pass sounds like a bargain.
                    Its looks like the price goes up later in the season, I'm pretty sure mine was just $529, but now they say $629. http://www.snow.com/epicpass/home.aspx

There is also a Colorado pass that is $300 something with 10 days at Beaver Crek and Vail, but it has some blackout dates, the epic pass has no date restrictions.
                    ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                    ’09 ALP 110
                    ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                    ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                    ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Vail is my fav resort as well, with Aspen/Snowmass being a close second in CO due to easy access to four different mountains. I've been to Vail 4 times in the last 6 years, and majority of the time spend it in the back bowls and Blue Sky Basin. Then there are the UT resorts, but that's a different matter...
                      Edward in NYC

Comment

My only problem with Co resorts is the altitude. I had a lot of problems sleeping. Everything I ate seemed to give me gas. I was constantly waking up all through the night and never got a deep sleep. I seemed to sleep best when I passed out on the couch from too much drink. BC is 8100 ft at the base. Vail is about the same. When I was at Copper in 2002, I was really uncomfortable. Copper is 9500 ft at the base. I could barely drink a beer at Copper. My wife skied 1 run and had altitude sickness so bad, I had to take her to Frisco emergency. They gave us an oxigen bottle. She ended up staying in Denver the entire week. Others in my club also got so sick they couldn't ski some days.

Wendell

Comment

Working...
                        X