Great Carving Instructional Vid Clip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Carving Instructional Vid Clip

There is a pretty extensive library of ski vid instructional clips on you tube. This one I think really is nice and has direct applications to skiboarding . I think it is excellent in showing beginners how to feel their edges . Carving techniques on modern shaped skis has much in common with carving techniques on skiboards . See if you agree with me after watching this vid. I love how the intstruction is done without poles . the instructor looks like a skiboarder !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Yeah, this video and the Japanese instructional video really helped me visualize where my legs and especially my upper body need to be pointing during the various stages of the carve. I still have a tendency, when under variable conditions or with too much speed, to get into an A-frame, as he so mentions in this video. Gotta keep that inside knee separated from the outside one. These are great tools.

Towards the last minute, when he's linking his turns very quickly...is that what you'd call using his soft edge? It definitely looks "soft" and effortless, with his torso remaining fairly static relative to the ground.
    '07 Revel8 BWPs / Orange Line FF Pros
    '07 Revel8 Tanshos (GF's)
    '07 Spruce 120cm / Ally Risers / Tyrolia SL 75s
    Boots: Dalbello Krypton Rampages

Comment

Illiterateabc, no, in fact carving as about the polar opposite of riding a soft edge. The idea of of a soft edge is that instead of truly getting your skis up on edge, you just push the tails out and ride somewhat of a skid turn. It results in a little slower, less precise of a turn than a good carve does. Most skiers and skiboarders use a soft edge turn when they first learn, however most skiboarders move away from this habit quickly. Some people tried to hang on for it for as long as they could, but in the end the aggressive carve really taught them how to ride (just ask jjue, hehe).
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

Ska carves everything ! us lesser mortals do cheat by as Ska says letting our edges slip and slide , this is what beginners often do until they learn how to carve ... but there is a move to teach folks how to do at least some of this again to make riding difficult terrain easier .. this is the whole idea of the bumps to boomers program in aspen that teaches ageing boomers like me on line skiboards how to slip and slide more and NOT CARVE as much .. cheater skiboarding for sure .. but it does work at times... !

http://www.bumpsforboomers.com/blog/...oft-ski-edges/
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I can watch and read, read and watch. I still don't know what my technique is and if it's proper. I just know it works for me.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by jjue View Post
            .. this is the whole idea of the bumps to boomers program in aspen that teaches ageing boomers like me on line skiboards how to slip and slide more and NOT CARVE as much .. cheater skiboarding for sure .. but it does work at times... !
            ]
            Jack:

If you do a fast carve, Joe will holler at you, as I found out firsthand.

The program is really about using a combination of soft edging and carving techniques to ride any terrain in complete control. Joe's theory is that if you're riding under total control of yourself and can turn anywhere you want at any speed you choose in any conditions that there's no reason anyone can't go anywhere on the mountain and have fun.

A lot of folks get hollered at for going too fast, I'm not the lone ranger. He said he's only had to tell one person in all his years of teaching that it would be okay to go faster. When you see her at the shredfest, ask Carolyn if she knows who that is ;-)

Bill

Comment

Carolyn and Maria will have to race with their MJs. It sounds like it would be a close race.

(I hope neither has their own account on this forum. )
              sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                (I hope neither has their own account on this forum. )
                You and me both!!!

Comment

Darn... I just got caught, but Maria had a good laugh.

Maria is looking forward to meeting Carolyn.
                  sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Cindy was worried about keeping up with the Sherpa bunch on her MJ's . I'll be letting her know the other ladies will fit right in with her. She also is excited to see another female on skiboards.

Chad
                    64 CM Bigfoot’s
                    100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
                    110 CM Rockered Condors
                    130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

The gals on the MJs may surprise us.
                      sigpic

Comment

I have to both agree and disagree with SkaFreak. Agree - carving is a core tool and I'll go as far as to say your not skiboarding effectively until you can carve. Some of the steeper terrain I was on today was "must carve" terrain. A soft edge would have turned into a very soft edge as you flew off the side of the mountain. Disagree - soft edging brings a whole different dimension to skiboarding. A must have skill set. Example - chop. Try carving serious chop on an intermediate to advanced slope. Now, soft edge it with a fast swoosh-swoosh style. Example - variable terrain. Only carving variable terrain is challenging, tiring and can be dangerous. Doing a carve/soft edge combo will save you from hockey skidding, will keep you safer, get you down the slope faster with more control plus you look better. Example - moguls. 'Nuff said.
                        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Oh my god this is freaking fantastic. This helps so MUCH, I was totally a-framing when I could even do it. The hands on the knees thing, I’m going to try that, that might work for me to remember what I’m supposed to be doing. Thank you, thank you, thank you for posting this. If you guys at shredfest get a chance a short video like this on ski boards would be a great addition to the site.

On ski boards do I still stager my skis, with downhill slightly forward like he does?

SLOW PLEASE ADD THIS THREAD TO BEGINNER STICKY!!!!!.
                          ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                          ’09 ALP 110
                          ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                          ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                          ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Originally posted by Matthies View Post
                            SLOW PLEASE ADD THIS THREAD TO BEGINNER STICKY!!!!!.
                            Done and yes, stagger.
                            sigpic

Comment

jjue,

Thanks for the video. It complements the Carving Japanese video beautifully!

I am now much more aware of what am supposed to be doing when carving...very helpful video indeed!
                              Be happy everyday of your life!

Comment

Working...
                              X