Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japanese skiboard video translation

To All,

OK. The link below leads to a Japanese video showing basic skiboarding carving techniques. I've translated what is being said below the link. I must ask you to understand I am using the term "translated" very loosely. I am not a translator. There are reasons translators are much sought after and very well paid. My translation is a fair regurgitation of what is being said but as you will see things can indeed get lost in translation. There are huge differences between understanding something and being able to lay that out in a different language in a manner that captures the meaning and intent. I've proven that below. It's about the best I could do without ending up recreating to my liking some of what was said. I chose to stick more to a word for word format although not entirely. The idea is for you to be able to follow along. So, all excuses aside please see below the link

URL: http://drop.io/skiboard/login

Password: revel8

Carving
    Skiboards are short so turning is easy but to enjoy them more we can learn from skiing techniques.

One ski technique is carving. By learning to carve you can turn smoothly and run down the slope with style.

Watch then practice.

‘Open Stance Carving’ (on screen characters)
    At first, practice carving with a wide stance (feet shoulder width apart).
    Take a wide stance, put your hands on your knees then underweight the leg on the outside.
    By putting the outside leg onto its side the edge can grab the snow and you can make a stable turn.
    Then free the knee inside and allow the outside ski edge to grab the snow. When you do that the outside board edge will dig into the ground.

(Double screen) The timing of the outside leg carving is the same as the carving with closed legs. Watch the movement of the outside legs and practice.

Narrow Stance Carving
    After learning the open stance carving technique, try the narrow stance technique
    Gradually put your legs together and learn the feeling of carving.

Carving Turn
    Here re-lean the carving turn movement.

Turn peak
    This is the starting point of the carve.

Change
    This position puts the same amount of pressure to both legs.

Next grab the snow but do not put too much pressure onto the outside leg too quickly. If you do the board will move away too quickly and you will fall.

When you lean your body inside do not lean too far or shift too much weight to the inside.

At the peak of the turn you have the most pressure on the outside leg.

Then try to finish the turn and go back to the first step of the turning technique.

When you come back to the turning position again look at the direction you want to go and start turning.

Short carving turn is short or quick rhythm turning.
    Try to achieve the movement with stability.
    It is difficult to learn the short turn so try to gradually shorten the turn interval. When you get hold of the feeling see how short you can make the turn.

When you can turn with the short carving technique, you will be in control after jumping over terrain .
    Try to learn the small carve technique.
    There is no correct way to learn the carving technique. Depending on the person there are different styles of carving so try to practice your way.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

This is awesome.

Comment

http://drop.io/skiboard ??????

is this like Facebook??? something new again for us use.
      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid View Post
        http://drop.io/skiboard ??????

is this like Facebook??? something new again for us use.
        It's more like photobucket

Comment

cool, thanks!
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Thanks mahatma. I added a link in the New to Skiboarding sticky to this thread.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Awesome deal mahatma. Thanks for doing this, I think it'll help out a bit. Now we just need to redub the old video. :P

Boards: Revel8 Revolt "Trees" / Revel8 2008 KTPs / Line Jedi
              Bindings: Bombers / FF Pros
              Boots: Raichle 125s

Facebook

Comment

...and get the translations for the others on that site too...but no rush on that, take your time man, we see you get results and thank you profusely for it.
                Revel8 ALPdors
                Gold Revel8 Receptors
                Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                ____
                Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

There are more videos?
                  "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Two more mahatma: http://worldskiboard.com/articles.ph...category_id=11
                    sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

Slow,

I can't download them from there. Not the end of the world but it sure makes life easier. Is there a URL I can pull them down from?

Comment

I will try to access the former webpages that permitted downloading tonight. Give me a day.
                        sigpic

Comment

mahatma,

Here are the web pages with the downloadable versions:

Fakie:
                          http://worldskiboard.com/articles.ph...month=&curday=

Ground Tricks:
                          http://worldskiboard.com/articles.ph...month=&curday=

Scroll down 2/3 of each page to see the download.
                          sigpic

Comment

Slow,

Thanks. So, they wer eactually there the whole time. Got 'em. The tricks avi is large. If they are talking a lot this will take time. As for pt. 2 think about a week from today.

Comment

Very good!!
                              FAKKO

Comment

Working...
                              X