Bad Concussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Concussion

So this morning I was skiing and slammed my head into some hard packed ice and snow. All I remember is my head hitting, blacking out for a second, then seeing my friend a little ways down the hill calling to me. The next memory I have is sitting at the lodge talking with paramedics. I don't remember skiing the rest of the way down the mountain or taking off my skis or anything. I couldn't remember the date or where I was, I was honestly very lost and confused. My friend drove me to the ER where I was on watch for 3 hours and started to feel better.

It was my first ever serious injury and was quiet honestly the scariest moment of my life. For 15 minutes I was suffering from amnesia and felt like vomiting. The crazy part of the experience was that I was wearing a helmet. If I wasn't wearing it I think that I would of been knocked out cold for a lot longer than a few seconds and probably worse.

I hope everyone reads this and remembers to wear a helmet at all times. I feel like my helmet saved my life today.

Here's a picture my friend snapped while I was in the hospital.

-Ryan
    Revel8 Revolt 105cm Trees w/ Bomber Elite Bindings
    4FRNT TNKs w/ 4FRNT Deadbolt 12 Bindings

Ryan , glad you are ok !! good point about helmets
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Glad you OK man! Glad I was talking into buying a hemlet from folks on here too. Get better soon!
      ’07 Spruce Blue 120
      ’09 ALP 110
      ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
      ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
      ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Hope you are feeling better!
        Be happy everyday of your life!

Comment

Glad you are ok, and good thing you were wearing that brain bucket. Like you said it could have been a lot worse with out it!

Jay

Comment

+ vibes dude get well soon

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

oh man, glad you will be OK, and everyone, please wear helmet, ya jst never know what will happen.
              C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

sjeesh, got scared as I read that. I ever wore a helmet in 18 years of wintersports; but I promised myself to get one for this season (already before I read this thread)

But did you slam your while riding with high speed?
                I mean a concussion through a helmet sound to me like a hell of a force that was there.

Comment

Saw your status on Facebook but never realized it was this bad man. I have gotten small concussions through helmets so I personally would never ride without one. Just heal up fast man.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

TheTickz,

I'm glad you are doing well. Please just do whatever the doctor tells you in order to fully recover. If you think your doctor is a quack then get another one and do exactly what he/she tells you to do in order to fully recover.

Oh, and if memory continues to be an issue feel free to PM me with all your pertinent bank account and credit card information. Whenever you need it just ask. I fully understand that you will not remember your balances and that can be scary. I'm here for you, dude.
                    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Hey man, i did the same thing last weekend, and i was back out there within a week, so hopefully you get better like i did
                      RVL8
                      \______^=======^______/
                      www.YouTube.com/TalonSei

Comment

Originally posted by str33t View Post
                        But did you slam your while riding with high speed?
                        I wasn't even going that fast, just bad whiplash into the ground when I crashed.

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                        Oh, and if memory continues to be an issue feel free to PM me with all your pertinent bank account and credit card information. Whenever you need it just ask. I fully understand that you will not remember your balances and that can be scary. I'm here for you, dude.
                        haha, awesome. thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by TheTickz View Post
                          I wasn't even going that fast, just bad whiplash into the ground when I crashed.

haha, awesome. thank you!
                          Oh, yea, and PM me after July, assuming I pass the bar we will file some frivolous law suits and maybe I can get you one of those giant 3 foot by 4 foot checks and you can make a bad late night commercial for me. It’s a win-win really I need to come up with a catchy name for my law firm like “The Snowplow” or The Ice Man.
                          ’07 Spruce Blue 120
                          ’09 ALP 110
                          ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
                          ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
                          ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Just picked up a helmet. Thanks for the post and makin me open my eyes and realize "better safe than sorry."
                            Cheers
                            sigpic

-'09 KTPs- -Line FF Pros- -Dalbello Krypton Rampages-

Comment

Well the past two days since the crash I've been having slight headaches and felt a little dizzy sometimes, but I'm definitely feeling better. I plan on getting back out there this weekend, (slopes should be empty because of the superbowl, and I can't pass that up) I will just have to take it slow and not go crazy.

Comment

Working...
                              X