X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JimTwit
    replied
    Glad I came across this thread. I'm definitely learning a lot, in terms of the facts and fallacies.

Leave a comment:

• snowjam
    replied
    More Skiboard Fact vs. Fiction

I'd like to add some more from experience and address some common criticisms I hear. Some overlap a lot with what Kirk is saying:

Skiboards chatter/Skiboards aren't stable/Etc.

Almost all of these sorts of "skiboards aren't as stable as long skis" sorts of things almost always seem to stem from trying to use traditional skiing stance and technique on skiboards. With traditional skis, you have to lean over the tips to retain strong control over the skis. Shins up against the boots, greater forward lean and knee bend. With skiboards, the stance is upright, knees not bent as much, centered over the boards. Using an improper "ski" stance on skiboards makes the unwieldy, but once skiers learn to take advantage of the more natural stance, boards feel very stable.

Skiboards are hard to land tricks on/You guys always wash out landings

There may be some validity to this, entirely depending on what you want out of your equipment. Personally, I prefer the precise landings required by skiboards. To me, stomping a nice centered landing on skiboards feels great, improves balance, and allows you to roll away clean and with style. I don't want to "land" a trick halfway through an unintentional backflip and have the long ski tails do the work for me.

Skiboards are a great way to get a spiral fracture

I hear this fairly often from skiers that only remember non-release snowblade bindings. Modern skiboards allow binding interchangeability, so Jeff's Spruce Riser solution or the Floski riser allow the use of releasable bindings with no headache. These sorts of injuries CAN happen, but can largely be mitigated by the use of shorter boards and release bindings. In fact, this is likely the most knee-safe setup on the mountain compared to other common forms of snowsliding. And yes, you can still run a higher risk using longer boards or non-release bindings, but the plethora of modern board and binding combinations means you only have to take the risk that you accept.

Skiboards died out years ago/Skiboards are stupid/Just ski/Are those for gaper day?

Don't take your fun too seriously.

Leave a comment:

• kirk
    replied
    go for it!

Leave a comment:

• hh06nj
    replied
    HEY
    can I use this post for my research class?
    I need it for theory part in my ski boarding research project =)

Leave a comment:

• fishlila
    replied
    Originally posted by valmorel View Post
    Skiboards Dont Work on Ice
    Fiction. Skiboards are just as competent as skis on hardpack/ice, often more so. Again, its a question of learning the correct technique.
    Absolutely! I found skiboards to be easier to control on ice than skis...Also, apart from technique, I found having your boards edges sharp makes it easier to control them on hardpack/icy conditions.

Leave a comment:

• anaesthetic
    replied
    Which is?

Seems to be the main thing that troubles me....

Leave a comment:

• valmorel
    replied
    Skiboards Dont Work on Ice
    Fiction. Skiboards are just as competent as skis on hardpack/ice, often more so. Again, its a question of learning the correct technique.

Leave a comment:

• fishlila
    replied
    Originally posted by jjue View Post
    somehow , skiboards have gotten a reputation as an easy snowsport , while beginners can get on them and ride them right away and that is great. to have the boards perform to their potential requires work and practice.
    Thanks for the great info Kirk!

jjue, I agree with you about the easiness of starting in the sport, but like you said, being able to make the boards perform is dependent very much on the rider's willingness to work and practice. Although this is my second season on skiboards, I have seen how practice has made my riding improve tremendously compared to the first time I used my Tanshos ...I'm not saying I'm an expert (not even close!), but I definately can see the need to practice in order to make my boards perform to their full potential!

Leave a comment:

• Rink
    replied
    Originally posted by Roussel View Post
    i hit a waist deep pillow on allz 94 and rode away today, was awesome. probably would ahve been better on KTPs tho.
    I hit a pillow yesterday and embedded my face in the snow.

But that had nothing to do with the boards, and everything to do with lack of skill and poor visibility which meant I didn't see it coming.

Leave a comment:

• EmptiMind
    replied
    Great post Kirk. Although, I've chipped my board when I hit the underside of a rail. So, unlikely if you're not dumb, but not impossible.

Leave a comment:

• Roussel
    replied
    i hit a waist deep pillow on allz 94 and rode away today, was awesome. probably would ahve been better on KTPs tho.

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    great post Kirk, and important !
    One of the most important points is that skiboards have tremendous potential but you can't just jump on them and assume that they will work perfectly ,, like any snow sliding sport time on the board and developing the skills to pilot them are most important .

somehow , skiboards have gotten a reputation as an easy snowsport , while beginners can get on them and ride them right away and that is great. to have the boards perform to their potential requires work and practice.

Leave a comment:

• Branden
    replied
    kirk types it and I'm living proof.

I ride bwps in all the powder mark and kirk ride on their ktps/alps. and i was able to throw rodeos over a 50 ft jump and land them fine. so jump size+powder are not limiting factors in board size.

YOUR SKILL IS

Leave a comment:

• Kirk S
    replied
    Perfect another thread hes just gonna leave us hanging on
    hahaha

Leave a comment:

• MitchK
    replied
    Thanks for the advice on the sidewall chippage. I'm not too worried about it, as it doesn't affect performance, but, it isn't pretty after my second time out.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X