Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yikes , Jack gets scared and pulls out his poles !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yikes , Jack gets scared and pulls out his poles !

Interesting day yesterday , I was riding my Sherpa skiboard style in company with my brother in law , an expert skier who likes to ski fast and steep . He was on his 190cm Gs/salolom long skis , I was also with my son on winterstick all mountain snowboard. We were riding at Alpine meadows, which had an excellent combination of fresh untracked pow in the back bowls , and steep firm moguled chutes , and , icy , crusty off piste stuff on north slopes.

In the morning I rode my Sherpa's skiboard style without poles and had a great time
    Speed wise I get up with the long skier and snowboard without any problem . I floated better then the long skier in pow , I was faster in pow , and much more manuverable in tight trees. I floated as well as the snowboarder , and again more manuverable in tight trees in pow . Steep open or moguled , crusty off piste stuff were a joy .

But after lunch , my Brother in law took me on the one thing that I had trouble with , it was a steep icy moguled chute that required you to jump in and was very tight with rocks on both sides , hard to turn fast in the air checking your speed almost to a complete stop and then hop around to the other side . The snow was firm and icy , it was a no fall chute , you fall and slide all the way down .. My son who is an excellent snowboarder , decided not to do this on his snowboard and went a different way down that was more open .

I jumped in and lost and edge and slipped a little .. This kind of freaked me out and I was really afraid to take the next jump turn and slide down the slope , so then I tried side slipping, this was totally lame and got me no where as the slope had big icy moguls in it .. and was seriously steep and narrow ..

So I reached for the collapsiple poles on my pack , stretched them out .. and suddenly everything clicked , the poles allowed me to reach down hill , plant the pole firmly and hop around and land , poles on either side helped me stabilize my self and then reach down and plant and come around again . What had been frightening , became easy as pie on my Sherpas which suddenly felt small and manuverable again .

Here is a vid of the type of terrain I am talking about ( the last way of entering a chute "air in" was the kind of terrain I was faced with

This got me thinking about what poles actually do for skiers and what happens when you ride skiboards with poles . Just like skiers are experimenting riding without poles, skiboarders , especially advanced skiboarders can experiment with poles and see how that can provide a different tool .

I think at the beginning and intermediate stage poles can be a hinderance to learning proper skiboard technique , but I think for riding very technical and difficult terrain , proper pole technique can be a useful technique to learn . I primarily prefer riding everything on my Sherpa without poles , but in certain situations , they will come out , and those collapsible poles will be on my pack .

Here is a nice summary of how poles can be useful to descend ski slopes
    http://www.inspiredtoski.com/articles

I was using poles as is detailed in #4 hop turn on steeper slopes, using the pole , like a pole valuter use his poles to get up and around .

They also of course are helpful in doing climbing traverses like we were doing yesterday to get to off piste terrain , and climbing out of pow gulleys after having too much fun !

Yes , I know Valmorel , I am a wimp for carrying poles !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Hey........ you got safely down a slope most would not dare tackle. That aint wimp.................
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

I agree with you Valmorel. On a side note, I wish I had a place to ride some shoots and bowls at...
      Revel8 ALPdors
      Gold Revel8 Receptors
      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
      ____
      Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Jack,

I'm glad I wasn't following you on this trip. Your old habits got you through this one.

Wendell
        Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I've come upon similar situations, and because I have never used poles was able to get comfortable with hop turning without poles. With a skiing background it would be harder to break the habit, but it is all about balance and snapping your hips around, then getting your edges sunk in. It probably takes less effort with poles, but I usually ride without a pack (although that might change if I am skiing any steeps soon, as I may be getting a pack with an avalung and recco reflector with all the inbounds avalanches that have been releasing this season).
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.
          I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
          '08 KTPs

Comment

Skafreak , excellent point , I am also absolutely sure that I probably COULD have made that next hop turn after blowing the first without problems if I just went for it ... but my mind kept playing with me , and I felt SO much more comfortable , pulling out the poles ... two things really help with poles , the first it helps to push off the pole to unweight for the hop , second , on landing the downnhill pole acts as an additional brake , to stop your momentum along with the edge set and primarily gets my body in the right alignment with the shoulders square and facing down the hill and not into the hill , the real problem in these situations is going into the hop , landing and then leaning into the hill rather than with the body rotated , .. fear , really causes this bad leaning into the hill which is false security , you just have to land with body angled away and down the hill ready for the next hop . ... thirdly , and probably the most importantly , as wendell points out , , I have spent a life time negotiating steep chutes like this on long skis with poles .. and more than anything else the poles just triggered all my ingrained steep skiing skills to kick in ...
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

jjue,

First, congratulations on successfully navigating what I'm sure was total gnar. That said, I would like to refocus this to what I think the real issue/problem was - lunch. Dude, lunch is your kryptonite. You have to walk away man. It's dragging you down. I know eating lunch was all fun in the past but look at what it's doing to you. Think about it. What's next - a "will work for nachos" sign? Walk away while you still can. While life is still worth living. You don't have to sacrifice all. You don't have to become another sad statistic. You have so much to live for. Just do a power bar or something. We want you back.
              "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

HAHA...breaks are for sissys lol
                Revel8 ALPdors
                Gold Revel8 Receptors
                Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                ____
                Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                  jjue,

First, congratulations on successfully navigating what I'm sure was total gnar. That said, I would like to refocus this to what I think the real issue/problem was - lunch. Dude, lunch is your kryptonite. ....
                  Man , was that big chili dog with loads of cheese and onions DAMN GOOD though !!!... I did leave off the fries , though .. and had a coke instead of a beer ..Knowing that I was going mano a mano with my brother in law after my small recharge session .. .
                  does that count ????
                  !
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

jjue,

You're rationalizing. In denial. You think you are still in control. This is so sad.
                    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

What kind of poles you carry? I used to have some cheapy hiking poles, and they were used by me twice in similar situations. Broke them the second time.

Probably got some Black Diamonds huh? I'm going to have to sell a kidney this season to afford my gear...

Boards: Revel8 Revolt "Trees" / Revel8 2008 KTPs / Line Jedi
                      Bindings: Bombers / FF Pros
                      Boots: Raichle 125s

Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by EmptiMind View Post
                        What kind of poles you carry? I used to have some cheapy hiking poles, and they were used by me twice in similar situations. Broke them the second time.

Probably got some Black Diamonds huh? I'm going to have to sell a kidney this season to afford my gear...
                        black diamond ,three sectional collapsible trekking poles...
                        work great
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                        X