Icelantic Scout- Worth my money?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wjeong View Post
    For a short ski, it's actually quite wide. The Spruce 120 is only .6cm wider. Anything but the Sherpa is going to look skinny against the condor.

Wendell
    Everything looks thin next to the Condor!!

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

So, with that said (very well put btw in your other post), would I be better off with center mount, using the scouts as a long style board, or moving them back for a more ski feel? Really, what does the board set you up to do? I can ride eiter way, but will it be more effective in center, as Im really looking for the stability of a ski, but the easy-to-move, simple feel of a board, if you can dig that?
      XsXeX
      Riding Condors
      This bird couldnt fly if it was drunk

Comment

Originally posted by TheGoudaDoctor View Post
        So, with that said (very well put btw in your other post), would I be better off with center mount, using the scouts as a long style board, or moving them back for a more ski feel? Really, what does the board set you up to do? I can ride eiter way, but will it be more effective in center, as Im really looking for the stability of a ski, but the easy-to-move, simple feel of a board, if you can dig that?
        GoudaDoctor .. yeah , well with what El Slurpo says about center mount , I would definitely start center mount on the Scout if you get the board. I think what center mount does is give you a much lighter swing weight to get the board around , there is much easier initiation of the carve by just rolling the edge and less need to move your weight forward which should give you what you are looking for . The only downside will be the need to get your weight back in deep pow and crud to avoid going over the handle bars. In my experience with even the 7cm set back Scout , I had to work harder to get my weight back in deep pow and crud especially on lower angle slopes compared with a center mount Spruce 120 , or Sherpa 130 . I really think the shorter length of the other two boards helps me use less energy to get the weight back to my tails from a center position . , then the longer Scout . Please remember in all this discussion when I am talking powder and crud and soft snow , I really am talking unbroken snow . With any of the longboards or the scout in the usual broken pow that is present at most ski resorts , I think there is much less need to weight the rear of the board and center will work absolutely fine .

Of course center mount also allows nicer switch /fakie riding , and I also think that it is much more natural to ride longboards poleless from a center mount position . Once you get longer like with the Scout and the Sherpa , and move your bindings back there is a lot of board in front of you , which makes it more necessary to use poles to up unweight your tails to get around rather then easily just rolling on to a carve especially when riding at less then mach speeds.
        Last edited by jjue; 06-11-2008, 06:54 AM.
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Gouda:

Yes, I can absolutely dig that. If you rig a pair of Scouts up with inserts, Spruce Risers and a powder plate you can have it all. The Tyrolias I originally had on my Scouts had some (+/- 1.5 cm) fore and aft adjustment, but the powder plate gives you way more, something like 6 or 7 cm. You could mount center sans the plate for a skiboardesque feel, then install the plate and move all the way back to approximate the factory recommended position for a more skilike ride.

I have a powder plate and contemplated doing just that, but enjoy them so much center that I've never used it, and probably never will, 'tho it's nice to always have that option. Keep in mind I'm WAY more likely to be riding on ice than true powder, the kind guys like Jack and Ska Freak seek out. Center mounting the Scouts improved the ice performance very nicely for me.

Bill

Comment

Alright, sick. Once I record, Ill get a little more scrilla, and then its gonna be hella good. Im stoked.

Btw buy my single "#1 Trooper".

Oh yeah, and can you put normal ski bindings on these scouts?
            XsXeX
            Riding Condors

Comment

Oh yeah, and can you put normal ski bindings on these scouts?
              Gouda:

Sure you can. That's what they were designed for.

You're a recording artist?

Bill

Comment

Sic.

Yeah, Im a rapper. Small time for now, but Ive been told Im alright.
                XsXeX
                Riding Condors

Comment

You should do a comedy rap about cheese.
                  if you do, throw it up here for listen and download.
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

thread jack

here's a little video i shot a couple years ago when we visited adam in vermont. adam had a little get together and we're just hanging out in his room and this guy that no one knew said he could freestyle and adam should play something on the guitar for him to rap to. here's the result. one take and he could have gone on forever probably. the skiing footage is of adam shot the next day. for the skiboarding footage head over to the videos in the gallery

Comment

Not that big into rap but he is good. I was just saying that since his name is GoudaDoctor he should do something cheese related just for fun, I would enjoy it anyway.
                      Revel8 ALPdors
                      Gold Revel8 Receptors
                      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                      ____
                      Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Lol dude. That guy was pretty good tho.
                        XsXeX
                        Riding Condors

Comment

Working...
                        X