Skiboard mountaineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboard mountaineering

With skiboards like the Sherpa , as a sport, we have arrived where true skiboard mountaineering descents can be made , with tools every bit as competent or better than long skis . I am getting a little bit cautious in my old age and am not sure I would want to tackle stuff like this , I kind of just like riding and am not sure I want to do any more fall and you die kind of stuff, but it is cool to think that we do have the tools to do this kind of stuff. Here is a nice point of view helmet cam type narration of of a hairy backcountry ski mountaineering descent to give you an idea of what this stuff is like .. I think I also would be using my poles with my skiboard on stuff like this !

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Whew

jjue,

Dicey stuff for sure. 55 degrees - my hat is off to them.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

just wait until next season guys and gals, skiboarding will have something to offer the extreme world.
      live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Nice. Another must do on my list.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

On extreme

Once again jjue caused me to think and in this case winterparkrider gave me focus. My thinking centers around the purchasing of “extreme” gear. Not extreme activities themselves or those who participate in them. Why must everything today be rated as “extreme” in order to interest us or garner our hard earned cash? I see it everywhere. Our activity is as guilty as any. Everything needs to be advertised as capable of doing things 99.97% will never do in order for it to be seen as quality. How many of “us” will ever actually catch 50 ft. of air? I mean on purpose. How many of us will ever attack “screw up this and you die” terrain like we saw on jjue’s post? Some for sure but the great majority of us do not have the time to invest to create those type of skill sets or harbor the demons that these type of activities exorcise. So, why the demand for everything to be “extreme”? I think I’m just getting old but I am much more attracted to things that are capable of just the next level. I know that that the great majority of growth in life is incremental. Circumstances are often thrust upon us but the growth we obtain from those circumstances is indeed a process – incremental by definition.

I hope my next set of Nike Air’s helps me perfect that from the free throw line, 360 gorilla dunk I’ve been working on. I’m just waiting for extreme yogurt. I even have the logo – “Culture – taken to the limit”.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Mahatma , I guess "Extreme" is in the eye of the doer , for Winterparkrider and myself stepping outside the boundaries of the safety of the ski areas is the first step .. I am no longer in to scaring myself trying to huck cliffs or dropping fall and die terrain .. but the excitement and the self reliance that comes with going outside the controlled environment and developing the skills to safely do so and the beauty of the climbing and the riding is what brings me to the backcountry again and again . For me my backcountry skiboards are the very best tool I have every owned to let me enjoy the wild winter mountains to the fullest !

Here is a nice vid that was filmed by a snowboarder in the local sierra backcountry terrain that I ride in the winter. Perhaps it can give folks a little idea of why backcountry riding here in the Sierras is so addicting !!

ps. here is a nice article that I read that sort of expands on what you were saying about "extreme" sports .. I think

http://www.spiked-online.com/Articles/0000000CAD26.htm
            Last edited by jjue; 06-06-2008, 12:10 AM.
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Link error

jjue,

I received an error when I clicked on your link. Can you verify?

I guess I was not as clear as I had hoped or as clear as the thoughts were in my mind. I'm not speaking in the least to whatever "extreme" activity anyone enjoys. I'm just totally sick of everything carrying the moniker and am equally tired of seeing people - especially young people - injured because everyone now feels they need to start something and within 15 minutes be "extreme". "Extreme" is the culmination and expression of long set experience and skills. For example, my mother-in-law is an extreme seamstress. In her little town she is the "go to" gal for the making of custom business suits, silk kimono's, etc. I know that because on occassion she will drop by with the most gorgeous and incredible silk pajamas, summer dresses etc. for the kids - kimono left overs and other things. The woman is amazing. If I cut off my arm I'd drop by her place before the hospital if I knew she was home.

I think people want to learn new things and of course progress but today's advertising doesn't make them feel good about the process. For example, in our thing I'd like to see boards advertised that say something like "If your looking to take on the park this season these are the boards" or "Taking your game to the next level? This is that next step". I know those are terrible but you get the idea. Of course we all want to be Kirk, Shu, Ben, jjue, etc.. But, we also need to feel we can get there and not be ashamed of ourselves along the way. We certainly don't need to clog emergency rooms because of the discomfort advertising promotes.

It took me 3 seasons to get my son to wear his helmet when I wasn't standing there watching him. At one point I pulled his lift pass and restricted him from going for 3 weeks. Why? Because all the cool guys in the non-competition photos are bare headed so he wanted to be like them. To be honest, in the end getting him a helmet with a tunes kit sealed the deal. Music is cool.

I believe for new people to join a sport they must be comfortable with being new but also see what is possible. Pro riders, competitions and kick-ass local guys/gals do all that. Advertising everything as extreme I think cuts out a lot of people and creates an elitist air that sends "regular" people looking elsewhere.

Comment

Extreme apologies

Hey All,

No real idea what sent me off on that tangent. Maybe my medication is off. Ha ha. Anyway, past it now and feeling a little red faced. Sorry. Now considering extreme counceling for possible extremely burried chilhood issues surrounding the word extreme. Extremely sorry for extreme reaction to "extreme".

Comment

No apologies necessary!

Hey Mahatma, no apologies necessary!! ! all links working now , I think ...

What you are saying is very important ... I think we all want to live lives less ordinary, perhaps that is why all of us here are skiboarding instead of skiing or snowboarding and that perhaps is the most "extreme"statement of all , all of us in our own ways are stretching the extreme of what we can do with our boards .. I enjoy watching and hearing from all of us pushing the limits of skiboarding in their own way and personally for themeselves not for anyone else , whether it be winning medals in international skiboarding competition , hucking cliffs on skiboards , or just making the first powder run , the first rail , or like myself this year , doing ring around the rosey on skiboards for the first time !

What you say about taking the time to learn the skills to stretch the limits is certainly very important , teenagers like my son , are particularly , as you say , apt to forget that doing "extreme" sports require more than just a huge amount of courage but does require a bit of knowledge as well , and a learning curve . Things my son , has learned with me this year on his first backcountry season .: When dad says you need to pace yourself climbing it is not because he is old and infirm but because teenage son will be totally exhausted 1/4 of the way up the mountain trying to go up as fast as possible , when dad says we can't ride that slope because it is avalanche prone , it is not because he is an overly cautious old codger but because the slope can actually slide ( my son was behind me and watching as I carefully was trying to cross an open slope this season and the whole slope fractured below us and we very , very carefully retreated before the thing slid out ) , there is a reason that on the top of a mountain , dad says be careful not to let go of your snowboard , as he accidently let go and the snowboard started sliding away from him !...
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

What's a Splitboard???

The last video I posted was by a local splitboard snowboarder .
                    When I am in the backcountry , with my super wide Sherpa's I have often been confused with splitboarders . A splitboard is a snowboard that breaks down into climbing skis and then goes back together to form a snowboard for going down . Of course, with our backcountry skiboards , it is easy just to rip your climbing skins right off without even taking your skiboards off . Lock your binding with a push of the pole and you are ready to shred .. No need to fiddle with putting our downhill board back together .

Here is a look at how Splitboard Snowboarders do the backcountry bit ..

Last edited by jjue; 06-06-2008, 08:02 AM.
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Advantages of Skiboards for Mountaineering

So , now, besides skis and snowboards ,, we have skiboards as viable winter mountaineering tools when mounted with climbing bindings.
                      The advantages of skiboards are many , they are compact , and lightweight , and easily manuverable in all manner of winter snow , and are easily carried on the pack when necessary , and break trail and float well in deep snow . And the best reason of all . , they are a hell of a ride going down !!! Roll on next season !

Last edited by jjue; 06-06-2008, 09:27 AM.
                      Boards :
                      Boots
                      Bindings:

Comment

Gorgeous

jjue,

I loved the look of that run. Not so um, extreme. I have a question. As I mentioned before, next season, probably around the 1st week of May I plan to skiboard Fuji. The plan is to use my "original" Spruce 120's. Anyway, the climb up requires a bit of snowshoeing. The last time I went on Fuji I climbed in snowboard boots and used my Crescent Moon Series 17 "Big Shoes". That setup was actually a bit of overkill but it's what I own. Pole wise I have a set of collapsable Tubb poles that extend as far as 130cm. Climbing in my snowboardboots (in or out of snowshoes) was no issue. Clearly, I cannot climb in ski boots. Please help me with the best way to get this done. I of course can just climb in regular boots carrying everything and swap out to ski boots on top. Is there a better way?

Comment

jjue,

I really like what you said. We all must be willing to grow as opposed to just thinking we'll become something or learn it on the way down. You know, I can't believe how much larger the Sherpa's are compared to the 120's. 10cm just isn't that much but they look massive sitting there beside the 120's. I'll be ordering up my set soon. By the way, beautiful floor. We have hardwood floors so I know it's a challenge keeping them looking like that. Regardless, I much prefer them to carpet.

Comment

I really need to get myself an avalanche beacon this year. I've got some connections to some of the best freeskiers in new mexico now and hopefully will be able to learn a bit from them this winter. If all goes well, I might even try to convince one of em to throw on a pair of sherpas and huck some crazy cliffs.
                            I do it because I can.
                            I can because I want to.
                            I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                            '08 KTPs

Comment

Re: Gorgeous

Originally posted by mahatma
                              jjue,

I loved the look of that run. Not so um, extreme. I have a question. As I mentioned before, next season, probably around the 1st week of May I plan to skiboard Fuji. The plan is to use my "original" Spruce 120's. Anyway, the climb up requires a bit of snowshoeing. The last time I went on Fuji I climbed in snowboard boots and used my Crescent Moon Series 17 "Big Shoes". That setup was actually a bit of overkill but it's what I own. Pole wise I have a set of collapsable Tubb poles that extend as far as 130cm. Climbing in my snowboardboots (in or out of snowshoes) was no issue. Clearly, I cannot climb in ski boots. Please help me with the best way to get this done. I of course can just climb in regular boots carrying everything and swap out to ski boots on top. Is there a better way?
                              Mahatma , I would say with your equipment , the best course is carry your spruce and skiboots on your pack , use the very lightest weight boot that will work with your snowshoes , and hike up with everyting on your back and switch to snowshoes when necessary and then switch to ski boots and spruce at the top ...

I have a different set up which allows me a bit more flexibility , if I was going to do Fuji , I would either climb in my Alpine Touring ski boots which have a rockered vibram sole and have been used for folks climbing everest etc , or if there was a lot of dry trail , use light weight trail running shoes to climb , , and carry boots and Spruce , once I hit snow line , since I have a backcountry 120 set up with Fritschi bindings , I would just put climbing skins on my 120 and use it as a snowshoe to climb ..
                              Boards :
                              Boots
                              Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X