No announcement yet.

Skiboarding on Zune Social

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am convinced that proper skiboarding (I'll say as opposed to skiblading) is a true advancement. Twin tippers prove that the days of 2 meter long skis is over. Snowboarding certainly has its' place and hope it continues at a strong pace. However, it has certain limitations in all but the deftest hands. Narrow slopes, traversing and moguls come to mind. Snowboarding also has a comparatively long learning curve. To "get" snowboarding you must go 3 times and suffer through that initial learning curve. The payoff is enormous but the learning curve exists. Regular skiing carries too much baggage for my taste. Too serious and too rigid. Fun doesn't seem to be part of that equation. It's all about performance at any cost. To perform at a lesser standard is to be a lesser you. Plus there is an unattractive physical side to skiing - if you have less than perfect legs then you are running a risk. Especially if that lack of perfection includes your knees. Skiboarding has a very short learning curve in the sense that you can be reasonably skilled and safe the very first day. But, it's not a trade-off. As you continue to grow your skiboards show themselves to be fully up to the challenge. But, all of that is much too serious. Skiboarding puts you in touch with the mountain. The equipment is a facilitator. I never felt the sort of relationship with the mountain I have skiboarding while snowboarding. Never. The whole idea was to somehow overcome the mountain. Skiers in my view clearly want to master the mountain. Reign supreme over more and more challenging terrain. I as a skiboarder want to enjoy more and more challenging terrain. I want to appreciate the value of the mountain to the utmost. This past season on a few occasions I had friends ask me who I just thanked because at the bottom of a run I'd turn around and say "Thank You". I was thanking the mountain for being such a wonderful and gracious friend. That is the difference for me. I'm not overcoming a challenge; I'm becoming a more appreciative friend. As I grew this season the activity of skiboarding became a more spiritual experience. I don't want to sound like I'm somehow off my rocker but that was the process for me this season. The mountain became a friend. When there was terrain I didn't feel I was up to I just talked to my friend - thank you for offering me the opportunity. Maybe we can enjoy this part of the relationship sometime soon. For now, I want to enjoy you over on this other run. The challenge was all about improving the relationship. Well, I guess I'm truly starting to sound like a loon. I'll stop.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Re: Plus more

Originally posted by mahatma
      Skiboarding is also a high performance, all mountain sport. That is what I love about skiboarding. It encompasses all. What to learn quick and go huge in the park? Skiboarding is for you. Want to be the slickest on-piste rider at your local resort? Yep, got ya' covered. You'll be there in a hurry. Want to hike for 5 hours to the top of nowhere to carve those "first ever" tracks? You are in the right game. Want to enjoy the mountain while laughing it up with you kids on the greens and blues? Want to do things your way - feel the mountain the way you want to feel the mountain? Welcome to the party. We as skiboarders have the most fun. Also, and this is important - despite having high end, technically advanced equipment, our stuff is reasonably priced. Almost anyone can afford to own 2-3 sets of different boards and a top end set of bindings to swap out between them. Not to mention that our equipment fits in the trunk or back seat of your car. No requirement for a roof rack. Buy another set of bindings instead. We represent diversity at its' very best.

nice! stuck in new rider questions section

http://sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/show...&threadid=5843

Comment

I am convinced that proper skiboarding (I'll say as opposed to skiblading) is a true advancement. Twin tippers prove that the days of 2 meter long skis is over. Snowboarding certainly has its' place and hope it continues at a strong pace. However, it has certain limitations in all but the deftest hands. Narrow slopes, traversing and moguls come to mind. Snowboarding also has a comparatively long learning curve. To "get" snowboarding you must go 3 times and suffer through that initial learning curve. The payoff is enormous but the learning curve exists. Regular skiing carries too much baggage for my taste. Too serious and too rigid. Fun doesn't seem to be part of that equation. It's all about performance at any cost. To perform at a lesser standard is to be a lesser you. Plus there is an unattractive physical side to skiing - if you have less than perfect legs then you are running a risk. Especially if that lack of perfection includes your knees. Skiboarding has a very short learning curve in the sense that you can be reasonably skilled and safe the very first day. But, it's not a trade-off. As you continue to grow your skiboards show themselves to be fully up to the challenge. But, all of that is much too serious. Skiboarding puts you in touch with the mountain. The equipment is a facilitator. I never felt the sort of relationship with the mountain I have skiboarding while snowboarding. Never. The whole idea was to somehow overcome the mountain. Skiers in my view clearly want to master the mountain. Reign supreme over more and more challenging terrain. I as a skiboarder want to enjoy more and more challenging terrain. I want to appreciate the value of the mountain to the utmost. This past season on a few occasions I had friends ask me who I just thanked because at the bottom of a run I'd turn around and say "Thank You". I was thanking the mountain for being such a wonderful and gracious friend. That is the difference for me. I'm not overcoming a challenge; I'm becoming a more appreciative friend. As I grew this season the activity of skiboarding became a more spiritual experience. I don't want to sound like I'm somehow off my rocker but that was the process for me this season. The mountain became a friend. When there was terrain I didn't feel I was up to I just talked to my friend - thank you for offering me the opportunity. Maybe we can enjoy this part of the relationship sometime soon. For now, I want to enjoy you over on this other run. The challenge was all about improving the relationship. Well, I guess I'm truly starting to sound like a loon. I'll stop.
        Well said. That initial first run feels so good in thre morning. Fresh air, crisp snow. Awesome...!

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

I agree

Manlenium,

I agree. My first couple of runs are always on the bunnies so I can get an idea of what condition my condition is in. It doesn't matter that it's a bunny run - the feeling is one of gratitude. Another day on Promised Land. On the days my family is with me I can't help but hug everyone. My girls love it, my son squirms and my wife hits me up for money. Life is good.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

I am convinced that proper skiboarding (I'll say as opposed to skiblading) is a true advancement. But, all of that is much too serious. Skiboarding puts you in touch with the mountain. The equipment is a facilitator. I never felt the sort of relationship with the mountain I have skiboarding while snowboarding. Never. The whole idea was to somehow overcome the mountain. Skiers in my view clearly want to master the mountain. Reign supreme over more and more challenging terrain. I as a skiboarder want to enjoy more and more challenging terrain. I want to appreciate the value of the mountain to the utmost. ...That is the difference for me. I'm not overcoming a challenge; I'm becoming a more appreciative friend..
            This is very important and very well put Mahatma , I am grateful that you have put to words a feeling I have been having but hard to express .. One of my other hobbies is the martial arts and I have taken training in Taekwondo ( Korean form of hard style karate ) and in Aikido ( Japanese soft style martial art ) .. Karate is very hard style , kind of like skiing and about dominating your opponent in a very direct aggressive way .. Aikido is everything about blending with your opponent much more subtley like skiboarding . , almost becoming "one" with your opponent , rather than separte .. it is very difficult to explain to folks but very obvious in watching expert aikidoka demonstrate their skills .. In skiboarding , I have felt the same way in watching vids of Skafreak on his Sherpa in difficult moguls or bumpy snow .. calm , smooth , blending with the terrain , nothing forced .. it was a joy watching his vids this season and very different from a more forced "skiing " style that I had been doing with my skiboards ... watching him was a revelation and very important to helping me smooth out my skiboard style and throw away my poles. .
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Zero Pro Non release Binding
            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

jjue,

I agree with you about SkaFreak's videos. Clearly, he made the challenging look easy. Very fluid, very skilled. As for my words, I thank you for your kindness. I always feel less than articulate so if I wrote something that actually made sense for you then I owe you thanks. You know, you saying you are into martial arts fits very well with my vision of you. Yea, I do that - create a whole from minimal parts. Ha ha. Anyway, I see you as a searcher. You're looking for something and martial arts is certainly a well known path. Good for you. In contrast, I've settled on what my additional activity will be this year. I'm going to learn boxing. There is a dedicated gym about 20 minutes away that offers training in boxing and Muay Thai. I've always wanted to box. The biggest problem is I'm just so damned pretty.

Comment

Re: Plus more

Skiboarding is also a high performance, all mountain sport. That is what I love about skiboarding. It encompasses all. What to learn quick and go huge in the park? Skiboarding is for you. Want to be the slickest on-piste rider at your local resort? Yep, got ya' covered. You'll be there in a hurry. Want to hike for 5 hours to the top of nowhere to carve those "first ever" tracks? You are in the right game. Want to enjoy the mountain while laughing it up with you kids on the greens and blues? Want to do things your way - feel the mountain the way you want to feel the mountain? Welcome to the party. We as skiboarders have the most fun. Also, and this is important - despite having high end, technically advanced equipment, our stuff is reasonably priced. Almost anyone can afford to own 2-3 sets of different boards and a top end set of bindings to swap out between them. Not to mention that our equipment fits in the trunk or back seat of your car. No requirement for a roof rack. Buy another set of bindings instead. We represent diversity at its' very best.

On the Ipod topic - they are indeed overpriced and as a rule could use a bit more high end volume. That said, nothing comes close. Ipod's are the standard for all other portable music/media players.

Ya the thing is i cant afford 2-3 boards and bindings..... i have crap now and only afford tanshos w/ worst bindings........ but nicely said
                Air 77s
                ALLZ 09 w/ grooves

Comment

Working...
                X