First time we got negative skiboard remarks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time we got negative skiboard remarks

yup, it happened 3 times skiboarding at our normal home resort just Sunday for our final season ride(big time fun!). We have always gotten positive good comments every time we go out skiboarding from skier's and resort staff alike... well not this time! The staff, yes the staff on all 3 occasions said some stupid comments to us in negative tones:

first Comment: "what do you have against ski's? Why don't you like skiers?" this was from a one armed ski patrol acting like a jerk while getting on the lift line. We have nothing against anyone for that matter! We still like skiing. whatever.

Second Comment: "is there some skiboard convention here, you guys doing the grafiti here?" OMG, get real we are grown adults and there was only myself, husband and brother on skiboards. whatever.

Third Comment: was actually gesture, no no the finger... The lift operator blocked my brother from getting in the lift!!!! What the heck!!!!!!! that operator was very unhappy looking the whole day really. whatever.

Now I have heard of all the hassles some of you have dealt with and I was shocked and kind of got our feelings hurt somewhat. We certainly will always go back to our home resort, we won't even let these stupid meaningless incidents hinder us. It was as if they had problems before, no not by us, we are very nice and polite and respect everyone and the mountain and just have good clean fun. Again, most comments are very positive! I think IF it were to happen again by the staff, we might say something to the manager because there was no need for any of it and not good for resort business really.
    C U N DA SNOW!

Boy , that is weird , pinkkid ! sorry to hear about it ... although I have heard jokes from skiers riding up the lifts with me .. everyting has been in fun and I kind of just joke back at them ... but never from staff , that is kind of weird... especially on the last day of the season , where everyone is supposed to be having fun in the sun !!
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I got the feeling the majority of usually super friendly staff wanted to be closed long time ago!! but they had too god of a snow season! oh well I brushed it off my shoulder just a second ago
      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Sorry to hear

Pinkkid,

I'm sorry that you and True had to deal with that. If it were me, the liftie would not have done that without me turning around, searching out and telling someone. He/she intentionally and without valid reason prevented or obstructed the use of a service you paid for and as salaried/hourly staff that is inappropriate. His/her opinion doesn't matter - staff get paid to perform work not render and certainly not act on opinions. On the other hand, over the season I certainly had a few incidents where skiers intentionally buzzed me on the slope or sprayed me with snow and then stood there looking at me with that "So, what are you going to do about it?" look on their face. The time I'm thinking of I looked down and complimented him on his skis - he had really nice Volks. It didn't crease his armor in the least but it did diffuse the situation and we all just got on with our day. My guess is people who behave like that have a lot more going on than not liking someone's equipment. I've never once seen someone look happy when behaving like that. The only circumstance I can think of that I would allow a situation to reach the point of confrontation would be if someone took advantage of one of my children. Nothing, absolutely nothing in my experience has happened like that. In the end Pinkkid you were by far the stand-up person and represented skiboarding with dignity and grace. You just made me a little prouder to be doing this thing. With luck, you'll rub off a bit.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

dont worry one time a skiier cut me off and broke my skiboard perpously but get this in life off summit hes my best friend they dont take kindly when u rid ebetter and when he tried skiboarding he sucked
          sigpic
          skiboards:
          Salomon Snowblde 88cm/1998
          BWP'08 w/snow jam extreme 2

Comment

Like too many guys at a party......there is alot of dicks. Seems ski patrol likes to pick on the skiboarders at some places. Most of the "instructors" cant even ski decent enough ...so they shouldnt be making fun of anybody.

I actually sent a letter to my local hill complaining about a patroller that said i was "bombing" "not carving" and "risking injury to myself and kids on the hill" Wow....I would say I do bomb on occasion.....my carving is so sharp its invisible......and I am the most controlled person on the hill, stopping on a dime and turning around those that actuall need space.

So at first I thought he was a huge dick, that was just after me cause I was outperforming him on skiboards.

As it turns out........He had a pickle up his ass all day...

Aside from me.. He also got into a scream match with the lifties (Which are very nice gals, ive seen daily and chat with because I go so often) and was yelling at young kids for falling down while getting off the lift..... While I am the first guy to complain when im stuck in mid lift for hours waiting for groups to reasemble thier gear after falling....but when its most of the kids first time on skis/boards/lifts I'm pretty patient. I just smile and laugh.

I can handle an attack from a patroller with a big smirk and smart ass comments with the ease and grace of a Shakespearen poet. But when you are laying attacks on kids!!! Man what an asshole. A psyhcological attack on 9-14yr olds could cripple thier fun factor and they could never want to snow sport again.

I sent a letter to the resort and reamed on that guy. That may have been the only time I actually went out of my way to actually do something.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

I've heard some comments from the safety of the chairlift, but face to face comments are very rare for me. no worries though. revel8 shuts down the haters on the daily.
              Last edited by Greco; 04-22-2008, 07:02 AM.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Thanks guys! I really do think they all just wanted to be done for the season and were just tired of dealing with things. Man, if we saw or heard some staff bagging on a kid or my kid, I have a feelling he'd be out cold on a stretcher after we got done with him!!! LOL not really but we'd sure like knock him out but instead we too would take action by finding the manager and submitting a formal complaint.
                Sounds like we all at some point get a jerk picking on us and we all handle things right.
                I sometimes think these staff people think we don't know how to ski or couldn't handle skiing... I'd still be skiing today if I hadn't of tried these skiboards out! They are just more fun and in my opinion I feel safer on them because I can completely control them.

Looking forward to next season regardless and I'm certain comments will go back to positive!!!!

Shelley
                C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Re: First time we got negative skiboard remarks

Originally posted by pinkkid

first Comment: "what do you have against ski's? Why don't you like skiers?" this was from a one armed ski patrol acting like a jerk while getting on the lift line. We have nothing against anyone for that matter! We still like skiing. whatever.
                  When I first read that, Shelley, I took "one" to mean "an individual" and thought your ski patrol was "armed" as in "carrying"....must be a rough neighborhood!

We very seldom get snide or rude comments, and sometimes it's innocent. At Snowmass one time we were waiting in line to use the can and a hysterical woman came running up to us and shouted "those are short skis!!". It was bizarre. I didn't know what to say, and responded "well, uh, sure, you could say that..." and she just walked away.

A lot of folks at our local resort ride snowblades, generic off-brand blades, Fatties, etc., and sometimes they comment on our assorted skiboards in a friendly, inquisitive way. I always give them the skiboard sales pitch, one time I got especially carried away and later wondered if I might have been condescending, it's really easy to do without meaning to...I need to be more like Manlenium...he handles himself with the ease and grace of a Shakesperean poet! ;-)

Once I was getting on the lift with my snowboarder nephew. The kid attending the lift shouted something at me, my first reaction was to wonder if I needed to step on that little punk. My nephew explained he was using a term that was actually a compliment. He thought my KTP's were cool and used a kidspeak term I didn't understand, then I felt bad about not coming back with a friendly response.

We noticed an older couple, very competent skiers, staring at us a lot up and down the hill one day. I was wondering what their deal was, maybe they were snobs. I was at the bottom of one run and noticed Carolyn halfway down talking to them, they talked for a long time. It turns out they were super nice folks, extra-friendly. They were noticing how much fun we were having on our Spruces and asked where we got them. They said it looked way more enjoyable than their old long skis...Carolyn was giving them the SBOL sales pitch & contact info (good girl!).

Bill

Comment

Nice Bill. sometimes i clown on people and tell them i " left my skis in the dryer too long " etc etc...

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

To Everyone, I'd sure like to meet all of you in person someday!!!! on a slope of course though!

Bill... that was really weird with that crazy lady running up to you!! very interesting & funny!

I have seen that alot, where people are watching or staring at us.. and yes it turns out to be very nice folks saying how they enjoy watching us and that it looks like we are having fun. We too give the skiboard SBOL sales pitch... I think we all do by now
                      Still lots of snowbladers I see too... I was thinking I should do a skiboard rental or lesson or something!!! BUT, way too many obstacles I think to even do that (liability, use of the resort, etc). That way when someone talks to us about it I can say, "give it a try, I'll show you!" I'm leary of letting a stranger use my gear, but I'd probably be skiboarding right with them anyways, I dunno I was just thinking, no biggie.

Did anyone see about doing the skiboard podcast on itunes??? guess I'l check more into it, just that others have better video that I do. I posted the Skiboard ring Around The Rosey over on jjue's thread if anyone is curious!

thanks again to all and sharing your experiences and comments!

Oh, nope, no gun armed patroller's at our resort LOL!
                      Shelley
                      C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

I love when the ski instructors keep looking at me and turning their heads like in the exorcist's movie...its fun to pass near them at high speed and then do some of your best lay-down carves... their faces are hilarious!

I think they stay thinking how in the hell can such a short thing have such a great grip.

I dont get many unkind comments...mostly the people asks me about stability on-piste and floatability off-piste, some also asks about safety with the bindings.

Only my housemates keep saying at me that i should leave the skiboards and go skiing...but they know they cant convince me :P
                        "It's nice to be important but it's more important to be nice."

Comment

Originally posted by pinkkid
                          Thanks guys! I really do think they all just wanted to be done for the season and were just tired of dealing with things. Man, if we saw or heard some staff bagging on a kid or my kid, I have a feelling he'd be out cold on a stretcher after we got done with him!!! LOL not really but we'd sure like knock him out but instead we too would take action by finding the manager and submitting a formal complaint.
                          Sounds like we all at some point get a jerk picking on us and we all handle things right.
                          I sometimes think these staff people think we don't know how to ski or couldn't handle skiing... I'd still be skiing today if I hadn't of tried these skiboards out! They are just more fun and in my opinion I feel safer on them because I can completely control them.

Looking forward to next season regardless and I'm certain comments will go back to positive!!!!

Shelley
                          Hahah i could see that. The groups were schools. Some of the teachers heard about it and were mighty pissed off. If they had been moms im sure the patroller would have been wearing his ass as a hat.

I find the best way to comment negativity is with a smile and a wave. Nobody knows how to respond to that. They must think im on prozac or something. Just high on life...and skiboards.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

I have a really hard time keeping my mouth shut when people say stupid $hit . You should have heard these two guys yelling at us but mainly at Borja while we were at breck. It actually turned a little physical. That was my fault but I did challenge both of them after I pushed one of them over. I really can only take so much. But instead of it being 2 on1 they tucked tail and ran like a couple of sissies. Plain and simple its just ignorance.
                            live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Khali
                              I love when the ski instructors keep looking at me and turning their heads like in the exorcist's movie...its fun to pass near them at high speed and then do some of your best lay-down carves... their faces are hilarious!

I think they stay thinking how in the hell can such a short thing have such a great grip.

I dont get many unkind comments...mostly the people asks me about stability on-piste and floatability off-piste, some also asks about safety with the bindings.

Only my housemates keep saying at me that i should leave the skiboards and go skiing...but they know they cant convince me :P
                              I like your thread pic.....It hurt my eyes from the blueness.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X