Bruce Lee, Skiboard Martial Artist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bruce Lee, Skiboard Martial Artist

This is a web ad from the late 1990's for the defunct Kosmos skiboard brand that I ran across surfing the web ... kind of cool , I think !!!

Kosmos was a German company that sold skiboards in the late 1990's and for a time sold boards in the US. I think they may have been the first skiboard company to have graphics that continued from one board on to the next ... an idea that has been of course further developed by Revel8 .... Here is a nice pic of a pair of Kosmos boards ... They are 88cm long , don't know the side cut but they look pretty fat

Last edited by jjue; 04-20-2008, 06:28 AM.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Thats pretty sweet. Celebrity endorsed goods.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Ha, Ha.. I like this pic , so much , it is going to be my avatar ! Bruce Lee has always been my hero ... now if I can only skiboard as well as he used the nunchuck , I will be all set ...!

Last edited by jjue; 04-19-2008, 10:01 PM.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Bruce Lee ,besides being a most excellent martial artist was a philosopher and much of what he said about martial arts can be applied to skiboarding ... Skiboarding like JKD is a snowsport stripped to it's essentials , it is the most simple and direct way to experience the mountain. It is as Bruce Lee said " the ability to express the utmost with the minimum"....

Here is a bit more of Bruce Lee talking about his martial art of Jeet Kune Do ...

"In JKD, one does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity.
        The height of cultivation is really nothing special. It is merely simplicity; the ability to express the utmost with the minimum. It is the halfway cultivation that leads to ornamentation. Jeet Kune-Do is basically a sophisticated fighting style stripped to its essentials.
        Art is the expression of the self. The more complicated and restricted the method, the less the opportunity for expression of one's original sense of freedom. It's as simple as that - no fuss, no mess.
        One must be free. Instead of complexity of form, there should be simplicity of expression.
        To me, the extraordinary aspect of martial arts lies in its simplicity. The easy way is also the right way, the closer to the true way of martial arts, the less wastage of expression there is.
        In building a statue, a sculptor doesn't keep adding clay to his subject. Actually, he keeps chiselling away at the inessentials until the truth of its creation is revealed without obstructions. Thus, contrary to other styles, being wise in Jeet Kune-Do doesn't mean adding more; it means to minimize, in other words to hack away the unessential.
        It is not daily increase but daily decrease; hack away the unessential."
        Last edited by jjue; 04-20-2008, 06:26 AM.
        Boards :
        Boots
        Bindings:

Comment

Nice, awesome find, Jack. Those boards do look pretty fat. They actually look very similar to my Invertigos, which are one of my favorites. It's a shame the Kosmos' have the plastic bindings, but otherwise they look like a nice set of boards.

Bruce Lee was quite amazing. I'm sure there are some who could beat him in a fair fight. However, I doubt there are many who could match the extent to which he pushed his body. He had muscles in places I don't even have places.
          RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1
            Nice, awesome find, Jack. Those boards do look pretty fat. They actually look very similar to my Invertigos, which are one of my favorites. It's a shame the Kosmos' have the plastic bindings, but otherwise they look like a nice set of boards.

Bruce Lee was quite amazing. I'm sure there are some who could beat him in a fair fight. However, I doubt there are many who could match the extent to which he pushed his body. He had muscles in places I don't even have places.
            didnt the first line boards have bindings that were along the same lines...plastic and in 2 seperate pieces.

Comment

hmm very modernist.
              Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk
                didnt the first line boards have bindings that were along the same lines...plastic and in 2 seperate pieces.
                More on the bindings in this old thread

http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/...ghlight=kosmos
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue
                  More on the bindings in this old thread

http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/...ghlight=kosmos
                  i thought i rembered reading about that before

Comment

In response to Ty's post over on skiboards.com awhile back when he was researching his history of skiboarding project .. A guy who posted over there "Promodeltodd " who apparently is a former pro skiboarder , responded with this bit of history about the Kosmos company and it's owner Alex Mervis ... maybe it really was an american company that was selling stuff in europe- germany rather than the other way around ???

"I was always a little in the dark about the European link, but from the way I understand it Kosmos originated in Colorado where the boards where originally produced(or at least the North American branch). I probably still have a few with the "made in Colorado" stamp on them. I know that Alex Mervis, who is still a good friend, first hopped on a pair in Colorado and ended up buying the company. He was from Eastern PA, so he moved headquarters there where he produced the boards and even had a retail/rental outlet as you got of the expressway to head up to Seven Springs. He had a neat operation that I would visit a couple times a year and help build custom boards for me to compete on and to test for him to improve the boards for sale. the business was doing great until it was sold off due to disagreements between him and his girlfriend who co-owned it. With the bitter break up, the company was sold off piece by piece, and a lot of people were disappointed, especially me. We had some great ideas we were starting to implement into the skiboards structurally as well as graphically. With a couple presses, he had the ability to produce a good number of boards and if I only had the money at the time, I would have bough the company. Kosmos started in 1996 I believe, and ended in 2003 when a lot of the industry was coming down as well.
                    Like I said, skiboarding has seen a bit of a rise the last couple years from when it hit bottom in 2003"

At the time that Kosmos was in business , Skiboarding was taking off like a rocket .. below is an interesting article from that time . Here is an interesting quote : "In 1997-98, 466,000 people skiboarded. The following season, that number swelled to 11.4 million, according to SnowSports Industries America."
                    Now skiboarding or snowblading is not even listed as a snowsports by the SnowSports Industries of American and we have no data on how many folks skiboard ...

I still don't quite understand what caused the collapse other than perhaps the advent of twin tips by Line and other companies which stole some potential customers out from under the skiboarding industry and of course the elimiation of the skiboards from the x games..

The history of our sport is quite interesting and has alot of twists and turns ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...20/ai_n9997295
                    Last edited by jjue; 04-21-2008, 08:57 AM.
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue
                      In response to Ty's post over on skiboards.com awhile back when he was researching his history of skiboarding project .. A guy who posted over there "Promodeltodd " who apparently is a former pro skiboarder , responded with this bit of history about the Kosmos company and it's owner Alex Mervis ... maybe it really was an american company that was selling stuff in europe- germany rather than the other way around ???

The history of our sport is quite interesting and has alot of twists and turns ...

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...20/ai_n9997295
                      in response to that...im happy to state that my video is nearing completion(probly a few more weeks)....but after thinking about it, i have decided to release it in a multipiece video that will showcase the equiptment of today and the past, along with many other thing. Its kinda like a skiboarding Miniseries.

Comment

Cool stuff!
                        C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

http://m.ebay.com/itm/KOSMOS-Skiboar...%257Ciid%253A1

On the eBay, the Bruce Lee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                          X