Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does skiboarding feel different from skiing ?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should try a set of big rockered pow skis. like ep pros or hellbents. with the rocker on packed snow you only have a portion of the ski on the snow and they feel somewhat like a skiboard, get them in the deep pow and they surf like a snowboard. I too was a snow boarder since the early days and have recently started skiboarding and riding skis.

Comment

My friends who ski mess with my head

I know this thread has been out there for a while, but thought I would share this. I started skiboarding this year - was an advanced intermediate snowboarder previously. Got on skiboards and absolutely loved it. 15 times out so far this season and only twice on my snowboard.

Here is my "problem" - my friends ski and they unintentionally mess with my head by trying to give me ski technique advice when we are out. I am not skiing - I am skiboarding I have to keep telling myself. My riding style is more upright with feet closer together - skier-style like - but how I make the boards work is definitely not skiing. When I stop skiboarding and start using ski techniques it all goes to crap. Then as my mind snaps out of it and I start skiboarding again that feeling of flow comes back. For me that is what it is all about - that feeling of the skiboards flowing side-to-side under me and laying out that top-to-bottom series of S-turns. In fact, my mantra in life now is Peace, Harmony, Flow.

Do I ride slower on my skiboards (I am currently on Head 94s so there are some inherent limitations) than on my snowboard? Absolutely. Do my friends who ski get down the hill faster than me? Almost always. But - every run I have the feeling of flowing down the mountain and that is what I am after. Why would I want to bomb straight to the bottom and miss out on all that flow on the way down?

The other thing I have found on skiboards is an almost eerie sense of calm - maybe even serenity. Definitely concentrating while riding, but my mind is completely at peace. Even when I make a mistake my mind doesn't panic. Just do what I have to do to correct the situation and get on with it. My experience in snowboarding is that while I had good skills I always felt like something really bad could happen just about at anytime. And my experience on a snowboard was the when something happened it often resulted in being levered into the mountain like a piledriver.
      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Harley, if you're still following this thread, the best advice I can give you is something I read in this forum (I forget the exact thread): "Go gorilla." If you ever find yourself in trouble, get your weight low and slightly forward, then put your boards on edge, and you will recover.

Jack mentioned that a skiboard turn puts more pressure on the outside foot than the inside. That's true, but also something I'm still struggling with, as my inside foot tends to be either sliding along uselessly, or pushing down too hard, taking the pressure off my outside foot and making me lose control. Can't seem to find a happy medium, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.
        '10 Revel8 Revolt "Bullseye"
        '07 Revel8 ALPs (Thanks, Wendell!)
        '13 Spruce 120

Comment

Proper Weighting of Both Skiboards

Originally posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
          Harley, if you're still following this thread, the best advice I can give you is something I read in this forum (I forget the exact thread): "Go gorilla." If you ever find yourself in trouble, get your weight low and slightly forward, then put your boards on edge, and you will recover.

Jack mentioned that a skiboard turn puts more pressure on the outside foot than the inside. That's true, but also something I'm still struggling with, as my inside foot tends to be either sliding along uselessly, or pushing down too hard, taking the pressure off my outside foot and making me lose control. Can't seem to find a happy medium, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually.
          I am by no means an expert but I had the same problem - the uphill leg sliding along uselessly - until I straightened my stance up and got my skiboards close together. I ride them on edge like you should but more skier style in stance than gorilla style. The other thing I found that helped was to swing my downhill arm slightly forward (while keeping it about at waist height) - that seems to keep my weight more biased toward the downhill leg. That probably also helps me to not lean into the hill, which puts too much weight on the uphill leg and skiboard.
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

A final thought on this since my first season of skiboarding is under my belt - skiboarding opened up the entire mountain to me. Steep terrain (black runs) that I would not do way back when I was skiing and more recently would not do on my snowboard. I was able to confidently ride all of the expert terrain - except for bump runs - at the resorts I went to this year. It was really rewarding to see all of my favorite mountain this year - Elk Mountain - in northeastern PA. Such fun being on the steep black runs. Not many resorts I go to have double blacks but I was able to do well on 2 double blacks I tried this season. A set of snow sliding tools that opens up an entire mountain is amazing.
            Think Like a Mountain

Comment

^. ^.^.

Comment

Just started the Australian ski season this weekend. We had limited cover and only a few runs open (Falls Creek and Mt Hotham). I was alternating between my skis and skiboards every few hours over the weekend to keep it interesting with the limited terrain. On wide open runs I was skiing faster with more confidence on my skis, especially in the morning when it was icy. On the skiboards I could build up speed where I had to back off due to fear, where as on the skis I felt more stable at these speeds (I have face-planted in the past on skiboards at speed and torn a rotator cuff muscle). On the narrower steeper runs the opposite was true the easier and faster turning skiboards gave me extra confidence. I fond alternating between the skis and skiboards a great exercise and I have probably changed both my skiing and skiboarding techniques subtly over the weekend doing this. I found skiboards have it all over skis for pure fun and for tackling challenging terrain. But it still is good to pull out the skis occasionally to have a lazy cruise or get up some speed.
                Spruce Ospreys 130cm
                Summit Marauders 125cm
                RVL8 RCondors 110cm
                RVL8 KTPs 101cm

Rossignol Soul 7 164cm
                Head Ethan Too 161cm

Spruce Pro prime plus Risers
                Technine softboot bindings

Ozone Imp 2.5m Kite
                Ozone Access 6m Kite
                Ozone Access 8m Kite

Comment

Well my first post to the forum,
                  Thank you guys for all the helpful info I bought spruce 120 after seeing a lady my age ski boarding in japan and talking to her.
                  I got to try out my spruce a week ago at falls creek Australia and I am NEVER going back to skis! I am a very careful easy blue gal who could not help but panic once the runs became steeper. I just knew by the time I turned I would be out of control then would freeze up so I just could not turn! Hence always last down the run and multiple falls.
                  Right from the start on my new boards I felt more comfortable upright and after getting the hang of the quick ability to turn was soon enjoying those steeper runs knowing I was more in control. I always used to get my skis crossed and fall flat on my face- no longer! Now I can keep up with my friends and enjoy the skiing.
                  I gave not quite got the skating part down pat yet for the horizontal parts of the slopes but enjoy not having poles so will keep trying.
                  Cannot wait for japan in feb.

Comment

Originally posted by Skivet View Post
                    Thank you guys for all the helpful info I bought spruce 120 after seeing a lady my age ski boarding in japan and talking to her.
                    I got to try out my spruce a week ago at falls creek Australia and I am NEVER going back to skis! I am a very careful easy blue gal who could not help but panic once the runs became steeper. I just knew by the time I turned I would be out of control then would freeze up so I just could not turn! Hence always last down the run and multiple falls.
                    Right from the start on my new boards I felt more comfortable upright and after getting the hang of the quick ability to turn was soon enjoying those steeper runs knowing I was more in control. I always used to get my skis crossed and fall flat on my face- no longer! Now I can keep up with my friends and enjoy the skiing.
                    I gave not quite got the skating part down pat yet for the horizontal parts of the slopes but enjoy not having poles so will keep trying.
                    Welcome to the forum!!! Spruce 120s are magical boards. Happy skiboarding!
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Skivet View Post
                      What a great testimonial, thanks for sharing that experience. Welcome to SBOL!

Comment

How does skiboarding feel different from skiing ?

I still haven't got the skating part down either owing mostly to me being a bit unco. I try to speed up at the end of a run so I can get as close as I can to the ski lifts

Comment

Working...
                        X