Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does skiboarding feel different from skiing ?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hes not that bad pretty much every one out in michigan is either a freestyle ski/snowboard/skiboarder, or a major gaper
    one guy always wears his flourecent yellow/ pink combo jump suit when he skis
    he also uses his racing skis to go off jumps and he kicks his skis in the air and looks like an idiot
    sigpic
    skiboards:
    Salomon Snowblde 88cm/1998
    BWP'08 w/snow jam extreme 2

Comment

Excuse my ignorance of the English language, but...
      what is a "SERIOUS gaper " ???

Comment

Leptisuisse,

A gaper is one who gapes. One who stands around with mouth open. In other words stops to take in the scenery. However, the term is condescending. It implies lack of skills and cool. I said that simply for definition purposes. Ignore the comment. It is in no way indicative of the people in this forum. Gouda should be ashamed of himself.

Who pulled this old thread up? Neat. jjue is always awesome. I'm considering building a pyramid.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Greco,

Oh man, that hurt. They'd be snowboarding? Damn. Well, I guess the truth ain't always pretty. Ha ha. There is little doubt that snowboarding has become something very, very different than it was. I remember a few moons ago almost wanting to throw up when I seen a sign at the entrance of a feature park that said "No Skiers".

I'm sort of partial to the saying "It was better when you didn't like us". It was.
          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by leptisuisse View Post
            Excuse my ignorance of the English language, but...
            what is a "SERIOUS gaper " ???
            Aw dude, I didnt mean that in a deragatory way at all. I havent a doubt in my mind that you dont shred gnar, I was just ripping on the seemingly oldskool jacket, no harm intended at all.

Sorry about that one man, I can come across as malicious on occaision. But as Mahatma has said, 'Shit happens'.
            XsXeX
            Riding Condors
            This bird couldnt fly if it was drunk

Comment

GoudaDoctor,

No harm taken.
              Seriously, It actually put a smile on my face because I thought you were talking about my clothing style too.
              It is indeed a 13 years old jacket but I like it and I prefer spending my money on buying new boards than clothing.

Maybe it is time to ask for a new Jacket for Christmas ?
              Anyone ???

PEACE
              Yves

Comment

Excellent dude. Id get you a real nice one, but I cant provide for myself let alone anyone else! hahaha.

Oh yeah dude, and now that were on better terms, I must ask you how your name is pronounced.
                XsXeX
                Riding Condors

Comment

You pronounce my name like you would say
                  "ev" from the word "evening"

PEACE
                  Yves

Comment

Oh yeah dude, I dig that, but how do you say leptisuisse?
                    XsXeX
                    Riding Condors

Comment

leptisuisse is a contraction for "le petit Suisse"
                      Translation for "the small swiss guy"
                      You would pronounce it like"leu pte su ess" I suppose....
                      At least I would...

PEACE
                      Yves

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post

A gaper is one who gapes. One who stands around with mouth open.
                        From urban dictionary: Usually distinguished by their bright colored clothes and a gaper gap, the gap between goggles and a helment/hat.

Comment

I don't understand the "gaper gap" thing.
                          how is having a little space considered "noobish" or lame.
                          haha i only heard a boarder call me it one time back three years ago
                          on my saloman miniverse 90s, but then again i was wearing jeans...
                          lmfao it was my first time snowblading.

Il moros
                          Flows
                          Chronics

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                            Greco,

Oh man, that hurt. They'd be snowboarding? Damn. Well, I guess the truth ain't always pretty. Ha ha. There is little doubt that snowboarding has become something very, very different than it was. I remember a few moons ago almost wanting to throw up when I seen a sign at the entrance of a feature park that said "No Skiers".
                            Yeah G...not all of us Snowboarders, past or present, are that way. I am almost positive it was a joke so there is no anger there.

And skiboarding differs from skiing in that when skiing, the set back of the bindings seems to make the the boards seem unbalanced and more difficult to spin. The center mount makes landing jumps feel more natural and cleaner.
                            Revel8 ALPdors
                            Gold Revel8 Receptors
                            Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                            ____
                            Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                            If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

To go into more depth...

The only real differences are the ballance points. When riding preformance skiboards you are completely centered and it is easier to throw your body around for 180s and easier to keep your weight centered on rails. When riding short skis you are set back and it makes it easier to get on edge due to the width. I know that it was significantly easier to get sliding on rails while on the skiboards. I kind of liked the added difficulty of gettin on edge on wider boards, it just seems to be more rewarding after a nice carve. Short skis are not all bad, actually not bad at all. Just a difference of riding style. I would suggest short skis to a person who just wants to get out and ride down runs and do some straight airs. I am looking foreward to trying out some moguls on my skiboards to see how the center ballancing effects the ride on the bumps. I will also talk about riding ungroomed when I get a chance to get out on some.
                              Revel8 ALPdors
                              Gold Revel8 Receptors
                              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                              ____
                              Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                              If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

why so short ?"

I guess it is the same reason some people like vanilla and some like chocolate. Some skiers like 170s and some like 198s and some like 75s or even 65's

I like SB's cause they make you feel free and you don't needs poles and have to carry around those heavy skis. I like the skate like feel of SB's.

If I did big gap jumps I'd be using long twin tips no doubt. But for what I do i love my SB's

Comment

Working...
                                X