Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does skiboarding feel different from skiing ?

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• damienkris66
    replied
    so what's the difference really? adrenaline rush? boards? snow?

Leave a comment:

• supercub
    replied
    I have only rode the boards which i own those are summit marauders and sherpas. I like them both. I snowboarded from the early days like 20 years ago then got into ski boards the past couple seasons because i did not like the longer skis until i bought a pair of full rocker pow skis 180 plus lengths ep pro, hellbents are what i have.They are set up on center. The ski boards are just plane fun and smile all day long but when i get into the back country (alaska) we use aircraft to access. The ski boards even @ 125,130 lengths i seem to be riding on my heels to keep from going over the bars so for big pow back country i use the ep pros mainly. also while riding a full on rocker pow ski on the groomers they turn very easily because there is only a small amount of the ski contacting the surface but the tips and tails are chattering. The skiboards i most always use for kite sking and find they are the real deal for that, and use them on groomers 50% of the time and the big fat pow skis the rest of the time. I can say that i will probably not snowboard any more since i have started skiboarding it is just that much more fun.

Leave a comment:

• fathom
    replied
    To reply to jjue original post about comparing snowboarding and skiboarding.
    I happen to do hardboot snowboarding at a decent level and carving wise, hardboot snowboarding pulls much bigger G's, however most run of the mill snowboarders skids and don't carve.
    Skiboarding is much freer and more handy in the flat and between trees etc...
    However if there's steep well groomed slopes, I'd rather have my carving snowboard, and do this:

http://www.extremecarving.com/movies/movies04.html

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Originally posted by HarleyQuinn View Post
    WOW! I just went skiing this past Monday and MAN was it fun!!! I took your advice and tried to loosen up and learn how to stop and turn right and I had such a great experience! It really was so enjoyable. Thanks for all your tips!
    Good to hear things have worked out for you. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyQuinn
    replied
    WOW! I just went skiing this past Monday and MAN was it fun!!! I took your advice and tried to loosen up and learn how to stop and turn right and I had such a great experience! It really was so enjoyable. Thanks for all your tips!

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Methinks I am going to go on Monday to the mountain and try some of these tips. I guess I do have some learning to do! I just hope I don't get too freaked out by falls or collisions that I stop going. I've never been all that active and have never broken a bone. >.<

Revel8 Rumspringa Mary Janes with Bomber II elites
    Nice set up, and a good choice.

Also put some focus on learning how to hockey stop. Once you know you can stop, you will relax and everything else will come together. And do not look down. Look out further so the "speed" is less noticable.

Leave a comment:

• HarleyQuinn
    replied
    Methinks I am going to go on Monday to the mountain and try some of these tips. I guess I do have some learning to do! I just hope I don't get too freaked out by falls or collisions that I stop going. I've never been all that active and have never broken a bone. >.<

Revel8 Rumspringa Mary Janes with Bomber II elites

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    One thing to add HarleyQuinn:

We mere mortals ride with our feet / skiboards wider apart (shoulder width) than the expert riders valmorel and his buddies in the videos. A wider stance may help your balance and confidence as you first start riding.

Practice at home on carpet to get the motion valmorel and his buddies use. (Swing your knees.)

Do not give up and try to relax. It will come to you.

BTW: What skiboards and bindings do you have?

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    Wow. Reading the first post makes me feel like I'm missing something. .. SO do any of you have any recommendations on what types of snow/slopes would be best for skiboards and some tips on turning and how to, well, get down the mountain and enjoy it?
    Hi Harleyquinn , the most important thing about skiboarding as opposed to skiing is that our boards are basically on edge all the time and we control our speed by the types of turns we make ,
    relax choose a low blue slope and get the hang of getting your boards up on edge and feeling the edges carve in the snow .. often your downhill skiboard will have some more weight then the up hill skiboard .... keep at it and it will come .. !

Valmorel has some nice vids of he and his buddies carving easily and controlling speed easily and relaxed on skiboards

you can make long turns like this

or short turns like this

or like this

or like this

Leave a comment:

• HarleyQuinn
    replied
    Wow. Reading the first post makes me feel like I'm missing something. Granted I've only tried out my skiboards once, but still I didn't really get the same feeling you described. I think maybe I was far too nervous to enjoy myself, was still used to the feel of normal skis, or just wasn't on the right type of run. The first run I went down (after the bunniest bunny hill of them all) was a blue diamond and I had a lot of trouble turning as frequently as I should have. I feel like each turn just made me go a little bit faster. I built up too much speed, lost control, caught an edge and tumbled in a heap of "omfgwtf just happened?". It caused a slight injury to my right leg but I tried the run again, skiing like an old granny, way too cautious and slow, probably cutting off every snowboarder and skiier on the hill. At least I made it down without a somersault, though I fell on my butt a few times. SO do any of you have any recommendations on what types of snow/slopes would be best for skiboards and some tips on turning and how to, well, get down the mountain and enjoy it?

Leave a comment:

• Isaac.Jarvis
    replied
    Ski Boards

I think we could of summed it up by saying It feels better

Leave a comment:

• slackercruster
    replied
    why so short ?"

I guess it is the same reason some people like vanilla and some like chocolate. Some skiers like 170s and some like 198s and some like 75s or even 65's

I like SB's cause they make you feel free and you don't needs poles and have to carry around those heavy skis. I like the skate like feel of SB's.

If I did big gap jumps I'd be using long twin tips no doubt. But for what I do i love my SB's

Leave a comment:

• DennisEvans
    replied
    To go into more depth...

The only real differences are the ballance points. When riding preformance skiboards you are completely centered and it is easier to throw your body around for 180s and easier to keep your weight centered on rails. When riding short skis you are set back and it makes it easier to get on edge due to the width. I know that it was significantly easier to get sliding on rails while on the skiboards. I kind of liked the added difficulty of gettin on edge on wider boards, it just seems to be more rewarding after a nice carve. Short skis are not all bad, actually not bad at all. Just a difference of riding style. I would suggest short skis to a person who just wants to get out and ride down runs and do some straight airs. I am looking foreward to trying out some moguls on my skiboards to see how the center ballancing effects the ride on the bumps. I will also talk about riding ungroomed when I get a chance to get out on some.

Leave a comment:

• DennisEvans
    replied
    Originally posted by mahatma View Post
    Greco,

Oh man, that hurt. They'd be snowboarding? Damn. Well, I guess the truth ain't always pretty. Ha ha. There is little doubt that snowboarding has become something very, very different than it was. I remember a few moons ago almost wanting to throw up when I seen a sign at the entrance of a feature park that said "No Skiers".
    Yeah G...not all of us Snowboarders, past or present, are that way. I am almost positive it was a joke so there is no anger there.

And skiboarding differs from skiing in that when skiing, the set back of the bindings seems to make the the boards seem unbalanced and more difficult to spin. The center mount makes landing jumps feel more natural and cleaner.

Leave a comment:

• darobbert
    replied
    I don't understand the "gaper gap" thing.
    how is having a little space considered "noobish" or lame.
    haha i only heard a boarder call me it one time back three years ago
    on my saloman miniverse 90s, but then again i was wearing jeans...
    lmfao it was my first time snowblading.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X