Deep powder misery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep powder misery

I spent yesterday at Joetsu Kokusai where it has snowed ceaslessly for days and the conditions were for the most part knee to mid-thigh heavy powder. My experience was one of misery. I could write for an hour but the bottom line was by 1330 I decided I had tortured myself enough and gave up for the day. There was nothing enjoyable or positive to report. Well, let me correct that - the views from the lifts were spectacular. By the time I stopped this 41 year old man was whining like a 14 year old pom-pom girl who just broke a nail. This morning when I woke up my entire body just ached. I'll not intentionally submit to such punishment again.
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Mahatma, sorry you had a time of it .. powder like you describe can be a joy with the proper technique and with the proper skiboard .. perhaps all of us can help you out to enjoy powder more .. what type of skiboard were your riding , how much do you weigh, what is your technique in powder , what kind of slopes were you riding , low angle , steep etc ???
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I would kill for conditions like that around here. Ice sucks.

Dan
      Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

Any help gratefully accepted

jjue,

I was on Spruce 120's. I'm 6'2" and tank in around 220lbs. I guess I should add that I am neither fat nor thin (obviously), get to the gym on a regular basis and remain active throught the year skiing 5 months or so and sailing my International 14 the rest of the year. My technique early in the day was really no technique - I am used to groom with conditions ranging from packed concrete to powder covering my boots (not to the top of the boot/bottom of my calf rather covering the face of the boot). A skier I was taking the lifts with helped me with a sort of lean back a lot and pump the skis up and down from the knees technique that indeed helped me float more but the biggest issues I had were that I would lose a ski whenever I tried to turn and the powder was not always bottomless and I would "find" and inconsistency under there which would cause me to immediately fall over which then took what felt like an eternity to recover because first I had to swat down snow all around me just to pack it down enough to get some sort of substance around me then work my way to a standing position just to try and turn back down the slope where I very often lost a ski again. The losing of the skis was not dramatic in fashion. They didn't shear off - the releasables just reached their point due to the weight of the snow and let go. There were times it took 10 minutes to find the ski. As for slope angle - pretty steep. 30+ with everyone going for the steepest pitches both on and off piste as the price of failure was nothing more than landing on a big, wet pillow. I flipped over the front of the skis a few times which was actually worth a laugh. To make matters worse, once I would get to a reasonably groomed section my game was so thrown off I felt like I could barely navigate even the most modest of turns. The techniques and feel is just so different that groom felt like a totally different world. Well, enough whining. Absolutely any advice/comments are very much wanted and will be gratefully accepted.
        "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

Mahatma , great you have the perfect skiboard for pow . ! I weigh 200lbs, and am 6 ' tall , and often carrying a heavy backcountry pack and have great fun on the Spruce 120 in exactly the conditions you describe.... let me give you some suggestions on how to enjoy it next time ...

first it seems like the release settings should be set higher , you should not release just because of the weight on the skiboards,

next I recommend you get the powder plate accessory for the Spruce riser that is sold here on the SBOL site , set the bindings back all the way to the third position 85mm back , you will find that riding pow from the far back position will be much easier , you will not need to lean back at all but just stand centered on the board as you go down the hill . keep your boards equally weighted , and just kind of bounce a bit up and down as you turn from one side to the next , take a straighter line down the mountain the soft snow will naturally slow you down . .
          you will be smiling for joy rather than cursing !

now , let's talk a bit about finding your skis in snow if they release .. in deep snow it often is useful to attach a powder cord , which is a red rope to your skiboard in case you release the cord will surface to the top and you can find your skis easier .. most ski shops have that .. or use a leash as well as brakes which many folks do ... I use a leash and no brakes .

how about getting up in snow .?.. if you are starting out and tending to fall alot , it helps to carry ski poles , so if you fall you can use the ski poles to push you up out of the snow , this makes it much easier to stand up again .

I think doing all these things the next time in pow you will be having a great time on your Spruce 120 !

ps . ah , nice to hear from a fellow sailor ! ... I sail a Laser and windsurf in the summer
          Last edited by jjue; 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM.
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Wasn't Mahatma Gandhi's name?

Comment

Sounds like perfect advice

Jjueu,

Thank you very much. All of that strikes me as practical and appropriate advice. I can’t tell you how much I wanted to enjoy yesterday and what a miserable failure it turned out to be. I’m not one who is prone to give up simply because I’m not “getting it” right away but the experience was just so draining and my attitude became so pathetic I reached a point I couldn’t stand myself. I have a few sets of 120’s so I’ll order the powder plate and follow your advice for setting the bindings. I’ll also pump up the DIN setting one notch and play that by ear in the sense that I’ll ratchet it up until things go right. I do own a pair of leashes and will throw them in the bag and look for the powder cord you mentioned. My bindings are Spruce Riser Pro and have brakes. I sincerely appreciate your advice since everyone around me was more than willing to tell me how my skiboards were just the wrong choice for days like yesterday. Needless to say, that special input really helped with my burgeoning shit attitude. Your advice makes me want to get back out there and prove them wrong. It would feel great to both say and show that “it was just me – I had to up my powder game”. If you can think of anything else please let me know.
              As for the Razor – right on. A popular boat. Sailing is one of life’s great pleasures.

Comment

GodAlliz,

I guess it depends on how well you knew the man as to whether Ghandi was Mahatma's name or Mahatma was Ghandi's name. In my case, it's just a handle.

Comment

I was going to suggest what jjue said. Sounds like you are too far forward. The plate will be a big help. You should not be flipped over 120s like that. Nor should they release under snow and ski weight, Crank that DIN!!!

Just setting bombers back a few inches helps me with 90s/98s in powder.

I have done the same thing twice in 90s. Your balance is totally different in powder. As soon as you hit powder with forward lean.......whoosh.

The plate will make a big diffrence for you.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Manlenium, too high a DIN in powder is a death sentence for your legs. They shouldn't constantly come off, but they shouldn't be cranked so high that they come off from a digger. It's a lot bigger of a concern on the longer boards since you're more likely to do damage. Be careful saying stuff like that on here because it's likely that someone will take that to mean crank them as tight as they can, and could very easily cause some major damage.
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.
                    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                    '08 KTPs

Comment

Very very cool that you sail an International 14. I go back to the pre trapeze days with those, when they were narrow, and planing was a new thing! Dont sail anymore though, I just dont find the time.
                      Crossbow (go to dream board)
                      Most everything else over time.
                      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak
                        Manlenium, too high a DIN in powder is a death sentence for your legs. They shouldn't constantly come off, but they shouldn't be cranked so high that they come off from a digger. It's a lot bigger of a concern on the longer boards since you're more likely to do damage. Be careful saying stuff like that on here because it's likely that someone will take that to mean crank them as tight as they can, and could very easily cause some major damage.
                        By "crank" i mean a reasonable level of course...

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Well, southeastern skiers can relate to Mahatma's problem. When a powder day hits here, it usually comes up from the gulf. We prefer to call it cement. A wet snow will suck anything off your feet. It will also exponentially increase the resistance to the skis. Not to mention it gets into everything and when you reach the bottom you are soaked from head to toe. Even long skis have issues in cement.

Mahatma, I can't offer much advice. I have a set of 177 Rossi's that have trouble in cement and I know it isn't me as I have skied powder many times, even on my new ski boards already. It is extremely difficult to ski it period. The best advice I can give you is avoid thick wet snow days. Much more than 6" and it gets pretty darn sticky!
                          H2O Junkie
                          "If your cheeks aren't flapping in the wind, you aren't going fast enough!"

Dynastar Twins, Summit Marauders, HO 720, O Brien Pro Trac, KD Evolution Carbon, Hyperlite Scape 116, O'Brien Swindle 139, Liquid Force Venture

Comment

Keep it coming

To All,

My thanks to all - keep it coming. My spirits were so shaken yesterday I seriously contemplated going back to my snowboard. Of course, the guys that know me had no problems with pushing that button. I'll get the powder plates in, reasonably crank up my DIN settings and go back at it. I'm just glad that others are reporting success in similiar conditions. I will be careful with the DIN as my left knee has been completely reconstructed twice. I have screws in my hip and ankle holding things in place creating the necessary stability. Anyway, very glad to report that skiboarding has never caused my knee a second of grief. I could talk injuries all day. My right leg has been broken in 5 places to include a very nice shattering of tib and fib in a bike vs car that effectively seperated my right foot from my body. That took 2 operations and a year in a bell cast to get over. Again, skiboarding has never aggravated any lingering issues and I plan to get custom heat molded inserts next season as I do suffer from a certain rubbing at my ankle where tib and fib grew back into place. All that aside - I do appreciate the input and look forward to more.

Comment

14 talk

Valmorel,

You remember 14's without trapeze? God. How the hell did that work? Can't imagine... I love my 14. Her name is Petri Dish and I own her with a friend. It wouldn't be living without her - only existing.

Comment

Working...
                              X