Fakie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tyberesk View Post
    Jump and Pop a little 180 into and out of riding switch. As you get more comfortable you can learn to do it spinning natural and unnatural!
    Good tip, I've been wondering the same thing.
    08 Condors -> FF Pros | 08 KTPs -> FF Pros | Line Sun 83s -> Line comp. Freeblocks

Comment

yea good tip i dunno why but i never thought about actually jumping back and forth i usually just spin around on the snow but its easy to catch a edge that way when im going fast

Comment

Going to try going down blacks fakie...don't think that I would enjoy getting into moguls though I can pop up and spin into fakie, but have a hard time popping up and spinning back
        2011 KTPs with gold Receptors
        Rhino ALPs with orange Receptors

Comment

Jump and Pop a little 180 into and out of riding switch. As you get more comfortable you can learn to do it spinning natural and unnatural!
          Yea, that's a thought that has come over my brain, just not sure if I am ready for it yet,I can do it while standing still just haven't tried it in motion. I'm 5'10 175 and I have DLP 110's...I'm kinda riding that minimum size of this length but I love'em to death. I bet if I had some 75's or even 90's I'd be riding switch everywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by 1Quik7 View Post
            Yea, that's a thought that has come over my brain, just not sure if I am ready for it yet,I can do it while standing still just haven't tried it in motion. I'm 5'10 175 and I have DLP 110's...I'm kinda riding that minimum size of this length but I love'em to death. I bet if I had some 75's or even 90's I'd be riding switch everywhere.
            I've found that riding fakie on shorter / more flexible boards is actually more challenging. It might be easier to turn around and come back forward if you have trouble with that, but you don't have as much stability.

Comment

and remember when riding fakie, stagger one skiboard behind the other... the closer your skiboards are together, the easier it is to open up your hips and see where you are carving. The key lies with looking around your shoulder instead of trying to look over it! A few simple techniques to put into practice, and you guys will be shredding backwards even better than you are forwards!

Comment

open up your hips
                That's what Ty said.
                I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

haha

but what do u mean by look around your shoulder not over it?

cause i must be looking over it cause my neck hurts when im riding fakie lol

and i have trouble switching shoulders and lookin over the right shoulder

my necks all jacked up haha

Comment

and remember when riding fakie, stagger one skiboard behind the other... the closer your skiboards are together, the easier it is to open up your hips and see where you are carving. The key lies with looking around your shoulder instead of trying to look over it! A few simple techniques to put into practice, and you guys will be shredding backwards even better than you are forwards!
                    I should tried that. I went out on the indoor slope this morning and tried to see how far I could go. Probably made it about 1/3 down the slope (quite a couple of yards). I found that as soon as I tried to look around the shoulder I just starting carving up the hill again. I ended doing bunches of half circles.

Still I am happy with little accomplishment and .. woohoo, always felt in control and never fell over!
                    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Depending on what you are doing while riding fakie I would take a specific approach. If you are doing it to carve down the slopes and are finding it easier to go one way, I would take it to the greens and practice carving back and forth. During the process bend low at the waist, shift more of your mid-back, and follow your leading foot to look low and around your shoulder. Make this effort going back and forth, first with long, wide carves, and then continue into quicker, narrow carves.

If you are working on going fakie into jumps follow the same process but remain looking to the side that will set your spin. If you are like me and your comfort side is the opposite of your spin-setting side, ride into the jump and just before you hit the transition up turn your head the other way and immediately follow with your foot pushing into the spin. Make sure that you push your back foot forward and not carve. If you carve it will decrease a lot of your speed and cause you to not clear the landing as well as throw your spin off axis in a non-comfortable way. Test this out on small jumps with lower speed just to get your control locked in.

Riding fakie into rails will be a little different. Follow the positioning with riding fakie into a jump, only this time you will be positioning your body higher up.

I had a very tough time learning to ride fakie let alone carve fakie. My first experience was essentially pizza and french fries. While it can be painstaking to take the time and really learn how to do it it will be well worth it. To get the feel down try getting your stance corrected while wearing shoes. If you can stand on some smooth ice and practice this, keeping your ankles stiff, it will help you get the flow without the worry of eating it while cruising on some snow.
                      I'm a snollerblader.

Go big or go home.

"Just keep on doin' it if you love it. If you don't, scram!" - Angel Soto, SFA, 1996

Comment

i shot some video of Mark, Dave, Matt and Talon riding faking during the Junk Show Tour's Mt. Creek stop last Tuesday. I'll post it up soon.

Comment

Fakie Riding at Mt. Creek from SBOL / Revel8 on Vimeo.

R8 riders Mark, Matt, Dave and Talon go fakie at Mt. Creek during the Junk Show Tour.

Comment

Just ordered the KTPs I cannot wait..
                            2011 KTPs w/ Silver Receptor Bindings
                            2009 BWPs w/ Zero Pro Bindings
                            Full Tilt High Fives

Comment

I love riding fakie, when I was an instructor there were times I would go a full day without riding a single run forward the whole way. Gotta pair it with nose presses or it's just kind of a waste of effort I think.
                              Revel8 ALPdors
                              Gold Revel8 Receptors
                              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                              ____
                              Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                              If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

This year my goal was to work on form and technique rather than wasting time at the park. I definatey feel more comfortable riding fakie on greens and blues, but i'm not that great on carving yet. I want to be as good fakie as forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X