No announcement yet.

A Confession (and season closing notes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Confession (and season closing notes)

I rode Snowblades, and I liked them.

Don't worry, I'm not giving up my RVL8s any time soon. This season was pretty crumby in terms of coverage; we didn't get much snow until February, and even after that it was rock city out there. A lot of my favorite spots were basically unrideable for a large proportion of the season, and some that were technically open were too rocky to attempt without major board damage. I sacrificed my Spliffs this year as a good all-round pair of boards and didn't get my Playmakers out on the Horse at all (did one day with my niece and nephew at Big White with them, but no real terrain). My DLPs came out a couple of times but rarely, as I didn't want to damage them.

By the middle of the season, my edges, despite frequent touch-ups by hand, were basically butter knives.... serrated but completely dull (bases are heavily scuffed and have a few small core shots). It was extreme slarve city, almost to the point of riding on snow saucers. Pretty much could descend the slopes at any angle of attack without slowing down or catching an edge. The cores might be getting a little worn out too, after three or four solid seasons and few million vertical feet of hard riding. It's probably worth getting a professional tune done on them, but it would take a lot of grinding to get the edges back, so they're going to be relegated to rock boards or loaners.

The big vertical days of slamming icy bumps in the first part of the season took a toll on one of my knees, and trying to set a dull edge on wide boards continuously didn't help. Bagged one semi-decent powder day and one or two 10 cm days, but really wasn't feeling too stoked about the season and didn't feel like I was upping my game at all this year.

A buddy of mine who is moving gave me an old pair of Salomon Minirace 99.9s that he didn't want to take with him. I'd ridden them once before, and this year declared a 'blade day' where I rode those, said buddy rode my DLPs, and another friend brought her pair of Snowblades out for a good goof-around. He very much enjoyed the DLPs. My other friend (who's quite a bit shorter than me but was absolutely shredding on old straight 210 cm racing skis on our Retro Day) says she's starting to see why I ride the lengths I do. Will get her on some proper boards in the powder, next season.

We dropped some pretty serious terrain on snowblades... they suck in powder, but it was good for a laugh. On the groomers, though, they rip. That particular model has a very beefy frame, so they're narrow, stiff, and (importantly this season) SHARP. They're more stable than I would have expected, and very fast. Took them out again for all of closing day, and saw a lot of other people on various blades (even one on Sled Dogs). Blew a few minds passing skiers that thought they were fast on some of the big ripper groomed runs.... hehe.

It's been a while since I've been on sub-100 cm boards and now I'm curious about some shorter models... will have to connect with Bert to try some rockered Blunts and SIIs next year. Also wondering about how the the Rumspringas compare, provided I could track a pair down. I love my big bad wide boards and prefer some rocker to keep me out of trouble, but a narrow and nasty speed board could be fun once in a while, too. Definitely liked the lighter feel underfoot. Have been eyeing the Stickys since they came out, but I'm not sure they'd be stiff enough.

Ah, quivers... I used to laugh at the quiver people, but it just makes for really excellent condition-specific days sometimes. I'll need a new pair of Spliff for next season (since they're still the best all-rounders for what I do) but might have to keep an eye out for a deal on some other boards to play with. Since I got the Playmakers (good on hard conditions), my DLPs are rarely my first choice to ride, but I'll likely keep them as they're excellent for introducing skiers to the sport. I put another friend on my DLPs on closing day, and he was super stoked with the experience and is keen to get some skiboards, now.

BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Nice update Steeps, and I was wondering what happened this season to all your great pow videos that I was waiting for !!! Bummer about the snow in your neck of the woods. This season has been the opposite in the Sierras one of the snowiest season on record with deep powder all season and now such a big snow pack that Palisades and Mammoth will be open through July! Yes narrower shorter skiboards can be fun on firm snow . I have an old pair of Line bullets , narrow 95 cm stiff skiboards that I take out on occasion to goof around on in firm snow.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
      I
      ... wondering about how the the Rumspringas compare, provided I could track a pair down...
      ... Have been eyeing the Stickys since they came out, but I'm not sure they'd be stiff enough...
      I've tried to find some Rumspringa some years ago for my daughter, and they are indeed very rare, could not find any pair back then...

Closest next width are indeed the Stickies, that I've also tried a couple of times, and for hard snow are quite great. First try, center mount on very hard packed snow, they were carving almost too hard, compared to my usual wider boards I was like on rails without any specific effort. Second try I rode them setback, I definitely liked them better, have not lost any of their nimbleness, and the carving was less dramatic. In the same conditions I went to the KTPs (setback) next day and I liked them more. With their wider surface the KTPs felt as much in control, but with a "lazier" style, allowing more slarving when I wanted, compared to the "clinical" carving precision of the Stickies.

Compared to the ALPs/DLPs that you have, I think the SII carve even better (center-mounted), their carving is instantaneous and without any chatting.

Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

I'll have to keep an eye out for a pair, then. I've got a couple of skier buddies who like my DLPs, so if I end up selling those or something I might be able to try SIIs instead. Need new Spliffs and Receptors this year so new Stickies are not in the budget.
        BOARDSLAYER
        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
        X