No announcement yet.

The Andorra 2022/2023 Skiboarding Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With my touring setup still in for repairs, I went out on the Ospreys this morning. I have the setup Jeff did some years ago with a direct mounted Tyrolia Adrenaline binding.

They felt so heavy. I was definitely slower. There is definitely a lot of slickness to using something like the Tecton bindings.

Coming down in the icy conditions, the Ospreys were not great. It is really a powder board.

I am seriously contemplating selling one of my two pairs of Ospreys, complete with touring setup.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
      With my touring setup still in for repairs, I went out on the Ospreys this morning. I have the setup Jeff did some years ago with a direct mounted Tyrolia Adrenaline binding.

They felt so heavy. I was definitely slower. There is definitely a lot of slickness to using something like the Tecton bindings.

Coming down in the icy conditions, the Ospreys were not great. It is really a powder board.

I am seriously contemplating selling one of my two pairs of Ospreys, complete with touring setup.
      I agree that figuring out a way to get a tech binding on ski boards is the way to go for touring, way more efficient than frame type touring bindings.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Back to downhill today. Instead of the usual Slingshots, I decided to take the Crossbows (center-mounted) for a spin. Oh, what beauties! It was a one of those "mwah" days. The snow was is reasonable conditions and we could venture into the freeride/off-piste areas. The snow wasn't deep, but the terrain was variable in a good way. The Crossbows just cut through everything and turned on a time.

I reckon for skiboarding in this part of the world i.e Pyrenees, Picos de Europe, Spanish Sierra Nevada, there are four models of skiboard that function very well. (I am saying this after riding many models).

They are:
        - Spruce Crossbows
        - Spruce Slingshots
        - Rvl8 Blunt XLs
        - Rvl8 SIIs (especially for shorter riders).

Caveat 1: If you are 100kg+, you might consider something from Summit, but otherwise these are the safest model choices.

Caveat 2: If you are going to spend a lot of time in the few parks we have here, then DLPs will be good too.
        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I've been out a couple of days to three different resorts. Earlier the week Arcalis was great. The off-piste is do-able, but technical. We had lots of fun.

Then it was back to the big Grandvalira area, but we mostly focused on some areas and trying to avoid the crowds. We did all of the black runs that are used in the Andorra leg of the world cup. Steep, icy in places, but fast. The l'Aliga was a bit slower, but still remain one of my favourite runs. It had a lot of soft snow around, which made turning a pleasure. In a couple of weeks it will probably be flattened and prepared for the WC.

And finally today, I got back to my local Arinsal. It is the first time I get to do my favourite routine here. This consists of continual short runs about 700m in length all red or black, then back up on a surface lift. This means no rest for the legs. The surface lift is steep, so the legs keep working. And today the runs were in pristine conditions, making some very fast down runs. None of these runs are straight. They are all winding through gulleys at the bottom and steep at the top. The Tube, as always, is ungroomed, and was very technical today. A number of people fell, lost their skis on it or struggled with the variable terrain
          And then there was me, whizzing past them like a rabbit on a mission. After 3h, the legs knew it.

All three these days were spent on Crossbows. The Garmin tells me speeds in excess of 70km/h were achieved. Not as fast as some people on this forum, but not slow either.

No photos of the piste through, just of some slope food - a bratwurst with cabbage, picked and strong mustard. One has to take a break at some point.

Comment

Used the time on the slopes yesterday to compare Slingshots vs Crossbows (yet again).

As I was effectively doing my training routine most of the day, the conditions remained pretty much the same.

When the snow is relatively firm, although surfaces might be irregular, the Crossbows are more playful.

When the snow starts get slushy or sticky due to the heat, the Slingshots are better at turning. The narrower tail contributes to that.

The Crossbows are also easier to skate with. Maybe because they are slightly shorter.

If I know it is going to be a soft snow day, I would definitely opt for the Slingshots.

These are minor differences, but I have the luxury to choose. If I only had one set, irrespective of the model, I would still be happy to take it to anything.

Both pairs are now in the service shop in preparation for Shredfest. If I go out this week it will most probably be on SIIs.

On a lesser note, one of the best purchased I made this season is this fold-up chair. I leave it in the back of the car. It makes a joy for putting on boots (or taking them off). But, it also makes for an enjoyable sit apres-ski whilst taking in the sun and before the (little) drive hom.

Comment

Still without Crossbows/Slingshots I went out on SIIs yesterday. We had some warm temps lately, and yesterday was no exception. To make matters worse there was some rain the night before. This was evident in the icy state of the groomers. However, since there were quite a bit of snow in the weeks leading up to this, there were some surprises once off the groomers. The combination of the snow depth and the warm temps contributed.

My snowboarding friend sunk in past his knees when he got stuck in the cement and decided to walk it out. It definitely felt like the Northstar cement we encountered at Shredfest, except it was not as steep, so speeds were slower.

How did the SIIs perform? It definitely took some adjustment to get used to them again. They definitely require more precision in the style of riding. There were a couple of cases where I thought I might get the tips stuck or fall on my backside, but managed to recover in time. Definitely does not allow the rider to be lazy. I also found them harder to turn in the cement, requiring much more of a powder approach. Doing it center-mounted did require some technique for sure.

Same snowboarding friend lost a glove and I went looking for it below the lift line. The soft cement, the steepness and the narrow turning areas did not make for a pleasant experience. I would have felt more comfortable on Slingshots. However I did make it out without falling whilst riding down.

Comment

The snow has deteriorated to such an extent that I called it a day for the season on touring today.

On Sunday I'll go to the Arcalis resort for the final downhill day for me this season.

I am packing all my skiboarding and winter gear away this week and preparing for some mountain overnight trips in the southern hemisphere, before returning for a summer of mountain activites in the northern hemisphere.

C'est la vie. Until 23/24 season in Andorra.

Comment

Working...
                X