Icelantic Scouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Icelantic Scouts

I wanted to post on here as well as Facebook on this topic because there are some "older" more experienced riders on here that I value the opinion of. I am in love with my Sherpas. I think they are the absolute best, however I have been thinking about dabbling into maybe going a bit longer. I have been looking at the Icelantic Scouts. They are 143cm and it was said in a video from Icelantic that they were developed from the idea of skiboards. They were designed to ride like a skiboard as well as have the maneuverability of a skiboard with more of a big mountain prowess.

I was wondering if anyone here can give me a comparison between the Sherpa and the Scout?

I know that there was a Yeti ski that was developed years ago that is said to be a mix of the Scout and the Sherpa... that option would not be off the table if a pair would become available.
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

I have both the Icelantic Scout and the Sherpa and have ridden both in the backcountry as well as at the resort. I come from a long ski background and then later was turned on to skiboards .
    For me the Scout feels very much like a manueverable short ski and does not have that wonderful turny skiboard like feel that the Sherpa does. For me the Scout feels like a super short long ski and the Sherpa a super long skiboard. The difference with me is in the ease of turn initiation on the Sherpa , much easier to just swivel and turn like you do on a skiboard and it is also easier to turn in powder or difficult broken powder for me then the Scout. I find that the huge tips of the Sherpa and the wider waist also give me more stability in soft broken snow . The only preference for me for the scout would be on icy firm snow where the narrower Scout is easier to get and hold an edge but now I prefer shorter skiboards for that kind of snow like Slingshots or the RVL8 Alps.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Jack,
      thank you so much for the reply. I was hoping to hear your perspective. I am heavy enough that the sherpa for me on the icy surface has no difference than the DLP or even the SII.

this comparison has sealed the deal to keep with the Sherpa. I like the quick maneuverability with skiboards. The Sherpa, for me does not have a longer feel than the DLP so it was an easy transition.

Looks like I’ll be looking to stockpile some Sherpas
      Skis/Skiboards:
      2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
      2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
      2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
      2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
      20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95