Skiboards in POW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboards in POW

What's the deepest POW you've ever used skiboards in? What skiboards were you wearing?
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

I can't remember what boards I was using. But, the deepest pow was in SLC Utah, Big Cottonwood Canyon, Solitude Resort. It varied between knee and hip deep of the driest fluffiest champain powder I've ever seen. Green runs were useless. It had to be a decent blue run just to be able to move downhill against the friction of the deep snow on my boots and legs. It was so deep, snowboarders were laying on their snowboards and paddling like a surfboard to get through it.

Comment

Interesting question. For me the real question is do you float or hit bottom , and then what the consistency of the snow is Once we are talking about snow that you are actually suspended in and not hitting bottom (Real bottomless pow for your board- a few questions come in to play). Is it really light like Colorado dry powder or is heavy sierra cement , also how soon after a storm is it , immediately after a storm when the snow is unconsolidated or several days after a stoirn in the backcountry when the snow has been able to settle. . Also how steep a slope it is in deep pow . Last season it had snowed 4 to 5 feet of dry light pow and we were on first chair up at homewood. My son on a big pow floaty snowboard and I was on Sherpas . Most of skiers and snowboarders were getting bogged down and on lower angle slope I was also getting bogged down. My son was able to ride it but even he was basically having to take a straight line and not turning in the lower angle slopes , on the steeper slopes I was doing much better.and able to have fun. This season same 4-5 feet of snow in two days but with a couple of days to settle and snow heavier and wetter , still undisturbed out of bounds at heavenly and floated just fine even on less steep slopes on Condors .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

The first day of Shredfest 2017 comes to mind. I was on Rockered Condors and it was glorious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_112419-4608.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	263737Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_122259.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	867.6 KB
ID:	263736
        Attached Files

Comment

Following on Jack's thoughts, I have used boards like the Blunts, XLs, KTPs and Ickys in a couple of feet of powder, but have usually bottomed out. On some steeper slopes I have occasionally floated the shorter boards, but most of the time I think I'm just compressing the powder against the base. The only boards I have truly floated in powder are the Spruce 125 LEs and the Sherpas. You can feel the difference when you pick up enough speed and the boards start to rise up to the surface. The deepest powder I encountered was up at AZ Snowbowl last season. The storm dropped about two feet of powder which the wind then drifted in between the bumps of one of the black runs, creating some waist deep lines. That was a fun day !
          Just these, nothing else !

Comment

So I really don't have too many powder days under my belt. Unfortunately my powder days are East Coast Powder consisting of about 6 inches max. The first 2 times were about the same, 6 inches, untouched and beautiful. Belleayre in NY and Ski Sundown in CT. I was on the DLPs both times and while bouncing in trees found some knee deep stashes. The DLPs were great and coming from the Revolts the extra length was wonderful.

My most recent was from this year at Windham with the group. We found some untouched, ungroomed, locations and there was some shin high up to just below knee in some locations. I was on the Sherpas and they were just amazing. Some of the runs were difficult to keep going because they leveled out a bit and were bumpy. While I go cautiously thru moguls I did get bogged down a bit but had a blast.

Ive had the XLs and RCs out in the spring slush and mashed potatoes conditions and they are amazing. I'm hoping/planned on hitting the Pacific NW(Oregon) in about a year from now. I plan on taking the Sherpas and RCs.
            Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I've had 50 cm days on the Spliffs, and they were great. Pretty heavy spring snow, which I actually prefer to light blower pow.

I can't ride powder effectively (i.e. at top speed) on my DLPs... I spend the whole time backseat and usually catch my tips. It could be from too much time on the Spliffs; I'd probably adjust just fine if they were the only board I have.
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

skiboards aimed for powder could def use a longer taller nose. even with rocker, the spliffs have really small tips.
                Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                  The first day of Shredfest 2017 comes to mind. I was on Rockered Condors and it was glorious.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_112419-4608.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	263737Click image for larger version

Name:	20170227_122259.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	867.6 KB
ID:	263736
                  I really got to appreciate the Spliffs that year.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                  Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                  Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                  History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                    skiboards aimed for powder could def use a longer taller nose. even with rocker, the spliffs have really small tips.
                    I'm fine with the tips on the Spliffs and Blunt Xls

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                    Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                    Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                    History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I think this is why i like the Sherpas so much because of the huge blunt tips. I have no fear of the tips ever diving down
                      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I want tips like Rossi Soul 7 skis but skiboards size! Would be real fun for powder! Tails can stay as they are. The Bluemoris Omega come close to what I'm thinking but might be too long, and too expensive to purchase from Japan with shipping and duties.
                        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

I want tips like Rossi Soul 7 skis but skiboards size! Would be real fun for powder! Tails can stay as they are. The Bluemoris Omega come close to what I'm thinking but might be too long, and too expensive to purchase from Japan with shipping and duties.
                          Spruce Slingshots have nice wide rockered upturn tip, with a flat tail and a joy in pow. Here is comparison of Spliff and Slingshots tips:

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

I do like the looks of the Slingshot geometry.... they're just 9 or 10 cm too long for my tastes. I rarely bury a tip on the Spliffs in any terrain that matters. I've been without internet at home for over two months, but eventually will post some nice powder riding shots from the end of the season. Good dense powder is pure tail-surfing, making everything in front of my boots irrelevant. ^^
                            BOARDSLAYER
                            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

The Slingshots and Crossbows have been glorious in the powder that we get in Ohio, but if you hit anything deep I would want Ospreys or Sherpas. Some of the really deep stuff would sink anything smaller. Of course I am not exactly light at 240. Its always fun when you hit powder (two to three feet) you are not expecting and you just sink right in.

Comment

Working...
                              X