Using bamboo-wood core for skiboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using bamboo-wood core for skiboards?

Bamboo core can make skis lighter and be are more eco friendly. This is a relatively new trend, but it seems to be restricted to only a small number of manufacturers.

Would this be a viable path for future skiboard models?

WDYT?

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Hi Schalk,

All RVL8 skiboards use poplar which is considered quite sustainable. My concern with switching to bamboo is how the flex properties of the boards would change. Everything is pretty dialed in right now and it could be a considerable risk to switch to a new core material. I might consider it for a new model however.

"Poplar trees grow incredibly fast, which is why they're often planted in public spaces, for shade trees, and for cultivation. Because they grow back fast and can be sustainably harvested with relative ease, they're an eco-friendly choice for wood products. They're not at risk for endangerment."

Comment

Nice, I didn't know it was poplar. Super sustainable and widespread tree to use, and some species at least (aspen / white poplar) regenerate vigorously after the big trees are cut down, since they're essentially clones and share roots. I can donate a tree or ten to the cause, my new place is on 5 acres of mixed forest with tons of aspen and a bit of black poplar.

Bamboo's a good sustainable material if it's done right, but I get a little suspicious of some of the hype around bamboo fabrics in particular. They're essentially rayon, semi-synthetic cellulose fibres that require a lot of chemical treatment to produce.
      BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
        Hi Schalk,

All RVL8 skiboards use poplar which is considered quite sustainable. My concern with switching to bamboo is how the flex properties of the boards would change. Everything is pretty dialed in right now and it could be a considerable risk to switch to a new core material. I might consider it for a new model however.

"Poplar trees grow incredibly fast, which is why they're often planted in public spaces, for shade trees, and for cultivation. Because they grow back fast and can be sustainably harvested with relative ease, they're an eco-friendly choice for wood products. They're not at risk for endangerment."
        Very true. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Working...
        X