Sticky icky for 4’11” female?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky icky for 4’11” female?

Today while out on the hill my daughter, who has been skiing for 7 years now, looked down at my sticky icky’s and said “it looks like you’re having so much more fun than me, I think I’m going to buy a set of those”. After doing some research I’m not sure what to go with due to her height. Right now she ski’s on 140s, she’s 4’10” and 135lbs. We’ll be going with release bindings and all of our riding is done in the northeast us on icy packed trails with occasional off trail runs. Any suggestions?

Did she tried your SII ? They are a very well viewed board, not too short, not too long, not too wide, by the reviews it's quite good in most conditions.

How much off piste do you have in mind ? Generally speaking powder boards will be wider, so a bit harder to edge, especially for a beginner. Groomers boards would be narrower - easier to carve on groomers and easier to learn on for a beginner. There are several such boards in the 95-105cm range beside the SII themselves, like the Slapdash, Rumspringa, even Revolts, despite being slightly wider. Similar boards but a bit longer would be DLPs or Crossbows/Slingshots(118/119cm - with her coming from 140cm long skis, they could still work)

For a first board I would get her one of these carving oriented boards, planning on getting a second one - more off piste oriented - later, once she would better figure out what works best for her.
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

She didn’t try mine, unfortunately I didn’t have any tools with me to switch bindings. I love me SII and they work great on the local mountains, only think making me nervous the minimum recommended rider height being 5’4”

Comment

I believe the minimum height is about using non release bindings on them, so with release she should be fine. The Ickys are great, versatile, easy to ride boards that are very well reviewed by a variety of riders.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          I believe the minimum height is about using non release bindings on them, so with release she should be fine. The Ickys are great, versatile, easy to ride boards that are very well reviewed by a variety of riders.
          In the specs there are two minimum height recommendations, for non-release and release bindings. But I'm not sure how much of "absolute" values are those. For a beginner would prevent someone getting over their heads, but for someone who has been skiing for 7 years, some more leeway might be acceptable. Maybe other people would know more about this and Greco would certainly be able to tell you how much of a risk is involved.

As the Bad Wolf is attesting, the SII are one of the best boards out there, somehow in the middle of everything, they could be a keeper for many many years.

But if you want to err on the safe side, look into the Rumspringa - at only 11.6cm wide, they are close to skis - or something below 100cm long and 13cm wide, like Allz 94 or SnowJam 99.
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

My wife loves her Sticky Icky and she has ridden all the available shorter skiboards using release bindings. My wife also has the same specs as your daughter, although older. Your daughter will not be disappointed.
            sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post

In the specs there are two minimum height recommendations, for non-release and release bindings. But I'm not sure how much of "absolute" values are those. For a beginner would prevent someone getting over their heads, but for someone who has been skiing for 7 years, some more leeway might be acceptable. Maybe other people would know more about this and Greco would certainly be able to tell you how much of a risk is involved.
              I stand corrected, although confused. Obviously there are countless women on skis twice the length and just as wide as a skiboard, so it would be hard to imagine it is a safety reason? It would be nice to get some clarification on this as it does come up from time to time.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
                I stand corrected, although confused. Obviously there are countless women on skis twice the length and just as wide as a skiboard, so it would be hard to imagine it is a safety reason? It would be nice to get some clarification on this as it does come up from time to time.
                I completely agree, I can see how weight would have a direct impact on edging capabilities and powder floating capabilities, but I don't see how the height would weight in

But I admit I took it for granted until now, as I put my daughter at 12 yo on Twoowt Pirania 95cm - equivalent to Allz 94. As she took to it like fish to water, this winter she'll be taking hold of my Trees (and 120s if we get enough powder)

Comment

Working...
                X