Pow day on Blunt Xl

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pow day on Blunt Xl

So sweet 14 in of new snow, riding the Bluntxl is so cool ,like floating on a cloud

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Originally posted by jjue View Post
    So sweet 14 in of new snow, riding the Bluntxl is so cool ,like floating on a cloud

Looking good Jack!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
    ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

I been having a super fun time this season getting back on the Blunt Xls after spending the last few seasons on longer boards. It is really amazing how well the boards perform in all kinds of conditions and how easy and fun they are all in all kinds of snow . I guess there is a reason the Blunt Xl's are the boards of choice for Westfest and the Skiboard Connection Colorado meetup and why they are such a popular board in Greco's line up .
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Have you ridden them set back yet, Jack?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
        Current Favorites:
        RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
        Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
        Other boards I'm trying:
        Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Originally posted by Fedfan View Post
          Have you ridden them set back yet, Jack?

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
          Back when the XLs first came out, Jack rode them setback and I rode them center. He then switched to center also. Funny thing is that I have now switched to riding them setback, or at least set back in powder. At the last Westfest I attended, I rode them set back for the first time. I was getting super worn out and my knees were aching something fierce from day after day of riding the deep stuff on the XLs, so I decided to try setback. What a huge difference it made. It allowed me to keep going for the entire six days of riding. Going forward my choice will always be to ride them set back in powder. I'm not sure how I would feel about it on hardpack. I haven't tried it yet.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Yes, I have tried them set back and they do help in keeping tips up in deep variable pow and contrary to the RCs the back of the board seems supportive enough in the rear,
            Overall I prefer center though as it is better in moguls and firm snow, also I always ski them using pole s and in a more upright skier like position with a lot of unweighting using a pole plant and rising up and down out of the deep snow with the boards close together. .That type of riding and position seems to cause a bit less thigh burn and less need to rock back on the heels compared to a lower to the board feet wider apart conventional skiboard style. I think the conventional skiboard style on the Blunt Xl is to steer them around in deep pow much as a snowboard would run whereas I ride in an older skier style with a bouncing up and down motion on the skiboards. The up motion of unweighting gets the tips up and out of the snow and then I sink down forming a platform before the next up motion.

Boards :
            Boots
            Bindings:

Comment

I also really like climbing in soft backcountry snow with bindings centered rather than rear set ,so another reason for me to keep them centered all the time

Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

Here is a video of me riding powder on the Rockered Condor which is exactly the same way I ride the Blunt Xl and is a bit different from how most skiboarders ride the Blunt Xl in powder. I tend to have the boards closer together and stand taller and use a pole plant and some unweighting as I turn. To me a center mount Blunt Xl feels like a little brother to the center mount RC with a very similar feel in powder , a little more sinking and a little less float but really not that much slower and much more versatile then the RC all over the mountain. I think that when my skiboards are buried deep in the snow like in this video folks actually don't realize that I am on tiny skiboards and not a pow ski as my style is really exactly the same as when I am on big skis.
                Boards :
                Boots
                Bindings:

Comment

I'm now with Sempai!!! I rode the Blunt Xl on the set back inserts today with Receptor bindings at the resort . Great variety of snow to test it out , some untracked spots , broken snow , icy patches , groomers and moguls . I definitely like the extra fore and aft stability the set back gives in chopped up snow , less tendency to bury the tip , also there is no need to keep varying position from upright to back on the board which I do from a center mount position . You just need to stand in a centered upright position and there is more float at the tip . Yes there is a little bit more tendency for the tails to slide in icy snow but not bad and I was able to easily move from carve to slarve as necessary. I think I will from now on ride rear unless the snow is icy , but if it is all icy I will probably be on a narrower edgier board just as DLP or Slingshot.
                  Boards :
                  Boots
                  Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                  X