The Andorra 2020/21 Skiboarding Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Andorra 2020/21 Skiboarding Report

The world is still crazy and no one really knows what the new season will bring. There are lots of talk of how many people will be allowed per gondola or ski lift, of having to book a place in advance even for pass holders or CALAMITY whether skiing will be allowed at all.

On the slopes these conversations are debated and anecdotes thrown around. Did I just sais SLOPES ??

Indeed!

We had the most autumnal snow in years and with about 45 days before the season opens we were on the slopes. A couple of us got together to walk up in skis.

I decided to instead of rolling out the Ospreys, I'd rather snowshoe up in glorious sunshine carrying a pair of Elaila 94s strapped to my pack.

It's October and I had my first day skiboarding for the season.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

I have become a fan of the Karpos and Crazy brands. I specifically like the slim fit of their winter offerings. I just invested in a Pull Repeat for this season.

https://www.crazy.it/en/product/pull-repeat-man-3.aspx

I has an outside pocket for a small waterbottle, one outside pocket, two inside pockets for water, mobile phone or avalanche beacon. Interestingly the manufacturer used graphene in the jacket.

The jacket will be great for touring and also for snowshoeing. I'm quite curious how well it will handle windflow on downhills runs.
    Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

What are the prospects for Andorra this December ? At the moment France and Italy are planning to keep resorts closed in December
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
        What are the prospects for Andorra this December ? At the moment France and Italy are planning to keep resorts closed in December
        The Grau Roig / Pas de la Casa areas of Grandvalira as well as Arcalis are making snow and were planning to open 4 Dec. Vallnord resorts are considering pushing back to 19 Dec, but it looks like they might also go for 19 Dec. This is related to the French resorts opening later and the lack of tourists due to border closures.

Comment

You're lucky ... Germany now is also planning to keep resorts closed until beginning of January, like France and Italy.
          I need to get some skins and find some backcountry maps for the Alps
          Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
            You're lucky ... Germany now is also planning to keep resorts closed until beginning of January, like France and Italy.
            I need to get some skins and find some backcountry maps for the Alps
            Or snowshoe... and skiboard down

Comment

What about Austria? All I know that they are lockdown for the moment.

Duotone II Rage
              Salomon SPK

Comment

Originally posted by montigo View Post
                What about Austria? All I know that they are lockdown for the moment.
                I have no idea. Austria is not my radar as it does not affect me directly. I know that Pres Macron of France is trying to get all EU countries to agree at the same time - it seems to be more political dealing at home than medical-supported reasoning.

Of course if French resorts remain closed, but Andorran resorts are open we'll be swamped with French tourists. Too many people can be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                  I have no idea. Austria is not my radar as it does not affect me directly. I know that Pres Macron of France is trying to get all EU countries to agree at the same time - it seems to be more political dealing at home than medical-supported reasoning.
                  I've read that Austria want to open, but EU is pushing for staying close, to be in line with the rest. But skiing is more extensive there so they ask at least for some compensation, because the industry will take a bigger hit.

In the French Alps region, I've read that at the moment the hospitals are overcrowded, that was quoted as the main reason for not opening until mid January.

Not really a satisfying explanation to me, I feel more exposed if I take the subway in Paris and go do some shopping in a toy's store ( those will open soon ), than if I'm in a lift cabin with open windows, wearing gloves, helmet, goggles, mask, scarf and whatnot...

Switzerland are going to open, but indeed, there's a risk of people flowing en masse to Andorra and Switzerland creating much bigger crowds ...

I'm all for lockdown and such, but seriously skiing is a zero contact sport, it would be easy to come up with something better than full closure, while keeping the risk as low as in big cities where people will get more crowded for Christmas shopping

Comment

Came across this video that someone made last year about skiboarding in Andorra

https://youtu.be/YfHS50nNfhg

Last edited by Greco; 12-01-2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Since we don't know when resorts will open, but we had a fresh dump of snow, we were out on skins this morning. Glorious day break between storms. As usual I was on Ospreys, although on the descent I wished I had the no-effort Slingshots.

Comment

So great that you don't have to rely on working lifts to be able to get some snow time this winter ...

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                        As usual I was on Ospreys, although on the descent I wished I had the no-effort Slingshots.
                        Why would you have preferred the Slingshots over the Ospreys ? Aren't the Ospreys better in fresh snow ? Or it wasn't that deep to make a difference ?

Comment

newbie2011, it's less effort to turn. You have to plan your turns more in advance with the Ospreys.

Comment

On Jack's recommendation, I added some Voile crampons to my Ospreys. The problem with the standard Tyrolia crampons is that they totally disengage upon forward movement.

This makes it hazardous in icy conditions in the Pyrenees.

The Voile crampons are fixed which requires a lift of the ski on forward movement. This requires more effort, but is more secure.

The photos show the crampon mounted forward of the binding on my older version of Ospreys and Jeff's first model of the backcountry riser for Tyrolia bindings.

Comment

The last two days I have been on plain vanilla backcountry skis. I rented a pair of 165cm narrow skis mounted with step-in bindings. Luckily I have Scott boots which is compatible with step-in, AT and alpine bindings, so no need for extra boots at least. I have been in the backcountry only on Ospreys, which made me unique in any touring group. However, I have been curious to try out the lightweight concept that a lot of people use. Generally a pair or backcountry skis with the step-in bindings , should be be lighter than a pair of Ospreys with the Tyrolia touring bindings.

Uphill I hardly noticed a difference. I cannot say that I really felt the weight difference. Surface glide is good and in the end I was just as tired

Downhill is a complete different matter. I am back to feeling like a beginner who has just got to try to do parallel turns (!). It is incredible how unwieldy they are. It really feels like have two flat planks strapped on to ones feet. Turning is an effort. It is not just a case of getting them on edge. So much so, that I am thinking of getting some lessons (!)

So far my only criticism of the Ospreys is their performance on icy ridge traverses. As I haven't had a change to test out the new Voile crampons (previous post) I cannot say how much of an improvement that is. However, from two days of activity I can say that the Ospreys outperform a standard touring ski in all other respects.

However I am going to persevere for a week or so, to see if I can get any better. I also do think there is a lot of experimenting coming up to see if backcountry skiboarding can be made better than it is now.

Comment

Working...
                              X