No announcement yet.

6'2 245 LB NOOB.... which board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WELP..... due to current sales and a few discussions with both Jeff Singer at Spruce and Doc over at Summit, I was really torn between the Sherpas and the Summit Invertigos. Doc offered me an additional discount per a certain reference and Jeff has now offered to upgrade my bindings for free to the Attack 13s. I was very intimidated by the 130 cm length vs the 118 of the Invertigos, and I understand that sidewall construction is technically better but the cap design is certainly more durable which is good for a beginner who hasn't skied before and fully plan on taking my share of spills.

In the end, a recent post on the FB group about bindings pulling out of the direct mount and numerous issues with top coats peeling after nicks has me convinced to go with the sherpas (even though they have been out for like 2 years now). I'm usually a tech guy who wants all the newest stuff. worst case scenario I can purchase another board and transfer the riser and binding if need be.

I'm sure I will be happy and just unfortunate that I will get them just as this ski season is ending. Jeff currently has one hell of a deal going on, that is just too good to miss, and I don't know how long it goes for. I don't know if Jeff frequents this site or not, but thank you for all the time and conversations we've had.

Comment

I should also add a thank you to select members of the Skiboard connection group on facebook I've been pestering for the last week, no matter the direction they sided with. They've all been super helpful. I'm glad to find a group that welcomes noobs.

Hope to meet some of you all sometime in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeegz View Post
        ..... has me convinced to go with the sherpas (even though they have been out for like 2 years now). I'm usually a tech guy who wants all the newest stuff. worst case scenario I can purchase another board and transfer the riser and binding if need be.

I'm sure I will be happy and just unfortunate that I will get them just as this ski season is ending. Jeff currently has one hell of a deal going on, that is just too good to miss...
        With RVL8 and Spruce skiboards, age is not an issue, you'll have for certain models some differences between years for the same board (some earlier/later versions were stiffer/softer than other versions), but none of these boards would ever be considered "obsolete" in any way in my opinion... With time you might want some specific board for some specific snow conditions, but not because any of the boards you have feels old.

And Jeff's deal is excellent, you did the right thing, I had a hard time resisting to order a pair of Crossbows myself, although it would create some considerable overlap with the boards I have... If this deal comes again next winter, I doubt I'll be able to resist the temptation :-)
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

OK, here is my report from day 1!

Spruce Sherpas
          60+ deg day, slush everywhere
          only my second time ever not on a snowboard

AMAZING! SO EASY!!!

I rented Elan 99's skiblades about a month ago, conditions were near perfect, as I love snowboarding but find the nuances between the runs to be very inconvenient. I hate restrapping, I hate getting off crowded lifts, and I hate peddle pushing through flat areas. So as for the Elan's, I was doing more of a half wedge to turn and then eventually my uphill leg would drag over. I did a few green runs with some blue cross over sections. overall just felt very out of control. I didn't fall like at all which was nice but had some panic windmill arms going quite a bit and had 0 speed control.

now onto the Sherpas,

again conditions were not great, not even good really. it was 60+ degrees for a couple of days and we hadn't gotten any new snowfall in quite some time. So as you can imagine there was slush everywhere and even puddles that seemed like ponds at the lift entrances which opened up to the green uncovered lift carpet waiting area. I did a few greens to acquaint myself with the new much much longer skiboards. WOW! just think about turning, and I was turning. no more half wedge, no more panic arms, just a slight uphill knee bend and a stagger forward and let the carve begin. these things were incredible. So i move onto the longer steeper blue runs. these runs had larger patches of puddles and slush and were much narrower than the open greens i was on before so avoiding them at decent speeds were near impossible. a very slight lean back and these things just surfed over the top. plowed through any crud pile and were super stable at higher speeds. the transition from carve to carve was again just EASY. Now, I admit I am a beginner and do not know what exactly I am doing, and am not very good at the "hockey stop", but having only ridden 2 sets of boards. 1 was significantly better and in much worse conditions too.

SUPER HAPPY WITH MY PURCHASE, just a shame I found this sport so late in the season. I am now left dreaming of a late march snow storm so I can get back to the mountain.

cheers everyone, and thanks again to the entire skiboard community who have reached out and answered any/all questions I have had.

Comment

Working...
          X