6'2 245 LB NOOB.... which board?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6'2 245 LB NOOB.... which board?

So after a lot of extensive reading and about a dozen times my mind has been made up, I am again back at square one with which board to buy.

as the title says I am 6'2 245lbs. a bigger guy so I've read go big or go stiff or both. I've also read the longer skiboards are for more advanced riders, therefore I'm a little hesitant to go straight into the Sherpas.

I have snowboarded for well over a decade, and love it, but hate restrapping after every lift, and peddle pushing has got to be one of the worst things on this planet. All that being said the new Burton step in bindings could alleviate a lot of that frustration.

My alternative.... SKIBOARDING. it just looks fun.

I've never skied before, and will almost always be carving on groomers. I am looking for the "one quiver" board if you will, but have been scared off of many choices due to my size. I guess camber helps carve, and rockered tips help initiate turns. so I guess the rock/cam/rock would be ideal, but what do I know? I'm a noob afterall.

If I may also ask, what stiffness do y'all prefer for your boots, being a beginner I've been recommended I try a 90 flex.... thoughts on this as well?

Comment

ALSO, sorry ahead of time... how are skiboards on the steeps (black diamonds) still able to control speed and stop if needed?

I rented a pair of Elan 99's over the weekend and they were very narrow, and even though I didn't fall like at all the entire day, I felt like I was flying down the greens and blues and never truly felt in control.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmeegz View Post
        ALSO, sorry ahead of time... how are skiboards on the steeps (black diamonds) still able to control speed and stop if needed?

I rented a pair of Elan 99's over the weekend and they were very narrow, and even though I didn't fall like at all the entire day, I felt like I was flying down the greens and blues and never truly felt in control.
        If you feel squirrelly on a 99, I suggest a Spruce Slingshot. You probably will be better off going longer. This is a superb board. It has excellent grip on the steepest terrain. I've spent 7 days on my pair now and have not found any downside. I don't recommend the Sherpa for someone who has never skied. As far as boot flex is concerned, I recommend 80 to 90 flex. I'm riding fulltilt booters with the softest flex tongue. I also have a pair of tecnicas with a 110 flex. It's way too stiff. I removed all the stiffness adjusters to lessen the shin bang in the bumps. The fulltilts never bang my shins. Go for comfort in a boot. I would suggest something with a walk mode. You might end up skiing it in walk mode. You don't need a lot of forward lean with skiboards.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
        Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
        Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
        History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

They are just excellent, I've did Alps blacks on every board I have and had no problem whatsoever. My 12yo went from struggling on steeper blues on skis, to doing a dozen of reds on her first day on skiboards ! The following day I took her on an ungroomed, mix of ice with powder and moguls black run, and again absolutely no problem. So rest assured, skiboards can handle everything ...

You'll find some nuances, some differences from one board to the other, some might carve better, some will hold an edge better on ice, some will slarve better, some will slide easier on flats - the Blunt XL basically go by themselves, almost no skating needed - but overall, the only problem you'll have is choosing and having only one board. I for one have given up on this idea :-)

For someone your size, you probably need a bit more support than those 99's were offering, I would go a bit longer (105-125), but I would not jump directly to the longest or widest boards. I'm rather thinking Revolts, DLPs, Crossbows.

If I may also ask, what stiffness do y'all prefer for your boots, being a beginner I've been recommended I try a 90 flex.... thoughts on this as well?
          It's a good starting point, don't go too high until you know you want/need that. I'm very comfortable with 110, but I have already several weeks of skiboarding and anyway I didn't went that high from the beginning.

In my experience the forward lean angle of the boot was also very important. Ski boots have sometimes more forward lean that we need on skiboards. Lange have the smallest one at 12 degrees if I'm not mistaken, some Atomic have it customizable at 13-15-17 degrees. I would suggest you rent and try a few different models/brands to see which one suits you best. The comfort and fit is also very important, or you won't be able to stay in them. I've tried this winter an Atomic Hawx Prime in 120 flex, set-up at 13 degrees, but they were really hurting my feet after a couple of hours. Some of their preformed shapes were not matching the shape of my feet, so they were useless to me, despite all the bells and whistles they have.

Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
          Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
          Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Well, a bunch of us just rode both Gunbarrel (Heavenly) & The Wall (Kirkwood) at Shredfest. Both were very steep with technical mogul work. According to Jack, Gunbarrel as in the worst condition he has seen it as it also had long icy patches. Skiboards just worked so well.

Having said that, skiboards with a short running length such as the Blunt XLs and the Rockered Condors will require much more control from the rider on icy slopes, but other skiboards will do well.
            Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
            Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
            Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

So after a lot of extensive reading and about a dozen times my mind has been made up, I am again back at square one with which board to buy.

as the title says I am 6'2 245lbs. a bigger guy so I've read go big or go stiff or both. I've also read the longer skiboards are for more advanced riders, therefore I'm a little hesitant to go straight into the Sherpas.

I have snowboarded for well over a decade, and love it, but hate restrapping after every lift, and peddle pushing has got to be one of the worst things on this planet. All that being said the new Burton step in bindings could alleviate a lot of that frustration.

My alternative.... SKIBOARDING. it just looks fun.

I've never skied before, and will almost always be carving on groomers. I am looking for the "one quiver" board if you will, but have been scared off of many choices due to my size. I guess camber helps carve, and rockered tips help initiate turns. so I guess the rock/cam/rock would be ideal, but what do I know? I'm a noob afterall.
              Just wanted to put this out there... Nate (member on Facebook group) is roughly your size and he has ridden everything and about 2 months ago strapped on a pair of Sherpas and hasn't looked back. His riding has progressed so quickly. He can ride nice and easy, or aggressive as I have ever seen. We have ridden everything from squares to double blacks and they seem to work great for him with ease. I ride the DLPs primarily and love them. I am 280 but only 5'9. I definitely recommend that you look at www.spruceski.com right now and get one of their specials. Boards and risers for roughly $300. it's a STEAL
              Skis/Skiboards:
              2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
              2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
              2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
              2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
              20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
              2012 Salomon SPK 90
              2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post

Well, a bunch of us just rode both Gunbarrel (Heavenly) & The Wall (Kirkwood) at Shredfest. Both were very steep with technical mogul work. According to Jack, Gunbarrel as in the worst condition he has seen it as it also had long icy patches. Skiboards just worked so well.

Having said that, skiboards with a short running length such as the Blunt XLs and the Rockered Condors will require much more control from the rider on icy slopes, but other skiboards will do well.
                What were you riding?

Comment

What were you riding?
                  Slingshots, Sherpas & DLPs among the group.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Based on your size i would tend to go longer and use a cambered board for nice groomed runs. KTP or DLP from rvl8 would be the only two choices and use non-release. You are tall enough to be safe. On the spruce side it would be the sherpa. The crossbow and slingshot are very thin boards that would not give the support you need for hard charging. Also it is unfortunate that a new style rail binding is not available from rvl8 or spruce. You would have to use a riser, and you are plenty tall enough to edge a board without the riser. this mystery board is one some of us wanted badly. A rvl8 branded long board with a power rail option. A stretched out DLP. Right now i'm on a marauder at 125cm. I will never go back to a sub 120 cm board. To much glide and stabilty with a 125cm length. I'm skiing east coast only and have many trail mergers,slow spots etc, so every little bit helps. i would move up to a sherpa if it had a rail binding option and i would gladly pay for the extra choice. Don't be afraid of the longer length, if you snowboard you will have no trouble

Comment

I ski with hard boots. This year i picked up a pair of HEAD Advent Edge ski boots. Very nice, more upright and less weight of my old rossi's. Flex is 85, about perfect for me. I"m 5 11 165 soaking wet...stringbean..lol. This boot comes in many flexes with one being a 95 flex. That might be your sweet spot. With the head boots i saved over 9 oz./252gr. per boot. Another boot may be Lange. Lots of good reviews on their models, they are also lighter weight and have an upright stance. I will say i ski way better with the new shoes. At least i think so...Flex is also subjective, harder you ride the more you may need. A 95 or 100 would be a good starting point.

Comment

Stringbean? I'm 6'1 and 160 lbs, boots on. ; ) I use 120's for boots. Depends on your riding style a bit; I prefer stiffer and cranked down for control, but I think you lose some comfort.

Yes, skiboards rule on the steeps! You can hack and slash your way down some pretty ugly runs with quick turns, and keep in control. I ride everything on the mountain on Spliffs or DLPs; the Spliffs are my #1 choice in deep snow, but the DLPs are rock-solid and precise. Last Friday there was no powder in sight, so I took my DLPs out on some alpine hardpack:

BOARDSLAYER
                        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Are Spruce risers and bindings transferable to a different board, or if I get another board do I also need a new binding?

Comment

Are Spruce risers and bindings transferable to a different board, or if I get another board do I also need a new binding?
                            You can use one Spruce riser/binding and transfer to any skiboard with 4x4 inserts or Spruce boards with 4x10 inserts

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
                            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                            Boots
                            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                            Bindings:
                            Zero Pro Non release Binding
                            Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                            Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                            Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Yo yoooooo... I am 6’3”... 250 pounds... we are the same size... and lemme tell yoy about the RVL8 Revolts... GET THEM... lol

they are what you need. I have switched to the KTP’s, but not because of anything except the design, truly. I mean, they are wider and some pros use them... but the difference isn’t that noticeable to a newer rider. But the Revolts are a bit easier to maneuver for a n00b... and they provide you with everything you’ll need riding... and the truth is: You’ll never outgrow them. Any time you think you need to upgrade, watch a RVL8 YouTube video of their pro team SMASHING everything on the mountain and you’ll realize you are the limiting factor! Haha

in the meantime, enjoy the scenery and shred as hard as you can!

Comment

Working...
                              X