So, I have a setback question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I have a setback question....

So, I have a pair of Crossbows, Ospreys, and Sticky Icky Ickies. I am experimenting with moving the spruce risers set back on the SII's and the Crossbows. I just set them back, and it is about an inch or two. Do you find that doing so makes much of a difference? Is it worth doing so?

I have found that setting back on the Crossbows did help in deeper powder, as it was less effort to start going. I have found that turning does have a different profile too when running edge-to-edge turns

However, be careful not to make big jumps in setback mode as there has been some reports of breakages.

I have set my Crossbows back to center again as overall I prefer it that way.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
    Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
    Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
      I have found that setting back on the Crossbows did help in deeper powder, as it was less effort to start going. I have found that turning does have a different profile too when running edge-to-edge turns

However, be careful not to make big jumps in setback mode as there has been some reports of breakages.

I have set my Crossbows back to center again as overall I prefer it that way.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk
      The crossbows are great set back. I don't ski it centered, but I did break one. Jeff sent me a rubber bumper to glue on under the riser. I don't know if that will prevent breakage if you land a hard jump on your heels. I figured I did mine in on a mogul run. If you are going to ride these set back, get a thick piece of closed cell weather stripping and glue it under the tail of the riser. That's all the bumper is. The crossbow is a fabulous skiboard. Unlike the slingshot, it rides like a skiboard especially center mounted.

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

So, from my testing so far, I like the setback on the Sticky Ickies, I don't notice it on the Ospreys, and on the Crossbows, kinda of meh. I will change the Crossbows back if for now other reason than breakage concerns, and I found it made them more squirley.

Comment

I think set back really depends on the conditions and type of terrain you're riding. If you're on hard pack or ice, set back seems like it would be a big disadvantage. If you're in soft snow, deep powder, etc. it can help ease the ride and make it easier to keep your tips up, though even in deep powder you can ride centered on rockered boards or any boards with the appropriate quad strength.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
            I think set back really depends on the conditions and type of terrain you're riding. If you're on hard pack or ice, set back seems like it would be a big disadvantage. If you're in soft snow, deep powder, etc. it can help ease the ride and make it easier to keep your tips up, though even in deep powder you can ride centered on rockered boards or any boards with the appropriate quad strength.
            Yes.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
            Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
            Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
            History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

I ski in Ohio, so most of the conditions are less than ideal. ;-p.

Comment

Working...
              X