Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of long ski would transition naturally from a skiboard?do both? come on in!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of long ski would transition naturally from a skiboard?do both? come on in!

Full disclaimer, I have not, and will not ever give up skiboarding! or my love for it! if it wasn't for skiboarding i wouldn't be into snow sports, and i love snow! I've got my crossbows on their way to me now and they will be my first board over 89cm. I'm sure i'll take a bit to adjust to them. But it had me thinking....

assuming i get the knack of the longer board. If i wanted to try an actual long ski, what would be the right shape and features to look for that would be a sort of natural progression to that longer ski? I see a few postings on craigslist each day for semi cheap skis, and some seem more 'attractive' looking to me like larger skiboards, like these:

(didnt know how to put the pictures here, they are attached middle one seemed most interesting to me.)

now i dont know if they are kids skis or powder skies or anything. And also This isn't to 'leave' skiboarding. Its more so to cheaply give it a try, could i rent a pair at the mountain? Probably, but probably cost me the same amount. I'm planning to head up to canada and we'll be out in the boonies so i wont have easy access to buy something as cheaply and abundantly as down here in seattle and they may not have something on the shorter side like i'd want to try at the mountain to rent. I'm only 5'7 so i dont think i'd wana go above 160. and i dont really ever do back country or super thick powder (unless its dumping and just all over the groomers, it would be nice to handle fresh powder dump, but i mostly groomer carve. Mostly it would be nice to appease the gf's dad who keeps wanting me to try longer ski's and also being able to keep up with them as they barrel down the mountain and i have to stop to catch my breath and rest my fire breathing legs.

Look i get that everyone is cringing as they read a post like this. But I'm not going to change my liking.. I'm a roller skater so i love short stuff. My grooves will always be the boards i bust out when i just want to have to have fun spinning and fakie and hoping through moguls... maybe i'll even buy a a revl8 some day.. and i'm hoping my crossbows will be my 90%ers for anything when i'm uncertain or just to feel relaxed but overall my 1 in quiver. I just figure i'd like to try a ski at least once in my life so i can especially know its not for me, or if it is for me, to just have another option to break out when i'm with breakneck skiers who dont want to wait up for me and my little skiboards just cant keep up..

heck i dont even have to buy anything, but it would be nice to know what i should look for from a longer ski to see what that stepped up stability and speed would feel like.I'm suspecting i'll dislike the long drawn out turns and probably struggle a ton.. but hey its life, as long as it doesnt kill me or break me too bad, i cant complain too much for having given it a go!

Please feel free to chime with your thoughts if you tried skies from skiboards and what you liked or didnt like? (are fat tips and rears bad? are long skinny annoying and only for speed? whatever floats here!

and... GO!

All the skis in the 120-140 range will be most likely kids skis, that I don't think would be in any way appropriate to you. Starting at 140 some might be women's skis, so for your height/weight I also would not think they would be suitable.

I think I have a similar background with you, as I've been spending winters on the skating rink since I was a kid and enjoyed roller blade-ing in good weather. Snow wise I've came the opposite route, starting on skis. I'm 178cm and got 160cm skis around 2005 I think. Spent about 5 years struggling on them like you are doing, not progressing above blue slopes and having to stop several times on each run to ease the pain in my knees and muscles. I'm self-taught so part of it was certainly due to less than optimal technique, although I was reading books, watching teaching videos and such to understand what I was doing wrong.

All improved my itself when I went to skiboards (105cm at first) and after 10-15 days on snow I could do reds and blacks and keep up with long skis friends that were now impressed by my agility and speed

Those long skis sound tempting because they are so much cheaper, but I don't think they would solve your problem. Living in Europe it was even more difficult to get skiboards, with shipping charges and taxes, but it was so very worth it, it's so enjoyable now, it opened up my possibilities to every slope on the mountain and started trying a bit of off piste as well, looking forward to try powder this winter

I don't think you have anything to gain by going 160cm skis at this moment. Or ever :-) Skiboards are so much more easy making everything so enjoyable. And you have so many choices of boards for all conditions and snows ...

The Crossbows have excellent reviews and sound like a very good choice. While waiting to try them, I would suggest to think about your technique, for me it made also a significant difference. When I was capable of making gravity work instead of leg muscles, everything became so easy ... I never tried as short skiboards as yours, maybe being so short they lack some braking potential which forces you to use your legs more, hence the leg pain. Any 100-130cm skiboards will be able to bend more and brake better and it should take this out of the equation.

Give yourself a few days on your Crossbows to get familiar with, and I would say aim to show your gf's dad that he should try skiboards in order to keep up with you :-)
    Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thank you for the thoughtful post! I doubt I could get him to try em, he's a bit older and probably stuck in the ways of full size skis.. And thats fine. I wont ever be giving up the skiboards. I was just partially thinking if i got up there and the crossbows were still tiring me out, or if i was unable to keep up with their speed, i'd have a back up pair of 'skis' to try out and maybe keep up with them that day. Then the next day just take it for myself and the crossbows kind of thing...

And eventually i'd just like to try to a ski to see why it is i'll prefer skiboarding so much for the rest of my life

Comment

Originally posted by jinx View Post
        And eventually i'd just like to try to a ski to see why it is i'll prefer skiboarding so much for the rest of my life
        Like someone else was saying I think in the other thread, around 140cm length you'd have the Ethan Two that got very good reviews.

Anyway the point is to find what works best for you. No harm in going out and renting a pair of skis, something between 140-160cm, try them out and see how it feels ...

My daughter is yet to be height/weight suitable for skiboards, so this winter I got for her a pair of Volkl Mantra Jr, which are the somehow close to skiboards (could not find the Caddy Jr any longer). Found good reviews also for the adult version, and they have all sorts of in-between sizes for different models (141, 143, 147, 149, 153cm, etc ), so you might take a look at their ski finder and see what gives.
        Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
        Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
        Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

The only way you'll know if skis are right for you is to try a pair or two. I experimented with a few different skis and ski lengths over the past three seasons. Though they were all stable and fast, I found them lacking the fun factor skiboards provide. I got bored quickly each time I went out on them. Last season I ended up selling the last two pair I owned. I'm back to being a skiboarder only.
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
            The only way you'll know if skis are right for you is to try a pair or two. I experimented with a few different skis and ski lengths over the past three seasons. Though they were all stable and fast, I found them lacking the fun factor skiboards provide. I got bored quickly each time I went out on them. Last season I ended up selling the last two pair I owned. I'm back to being a skiboarder only.
            and I expect to have a similar experience, but just thought i'd ask to get advice on best start type.. that ethan two up above was a good start maybe? i just dont know anything about thin/wide/twin tip all that stuff and what would feel most natural to a skiboarder.

Comment

When I'm feeling nostalgic for skis I grab the last set I bought before finding skiboards, 155cm Stainless Steel capped Volant V2 Chubbs. Here's a pic from 2012, I've added a few since then. I should start thinning the herd. But, I'll hang onto those Chubbs. My point is that there are a lot of choices in sub 160cm shaped skis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012Quiver.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	261502

Comment

If you've never rode a board over 89 cm, going to a longer board may change your mind about the skis. My world got rocked once I moved up from my old 99 cm Canon M7s to a 109 cm set of Spliffs (and then added 110 cm DLPs). For me, the agility of skiboards outweighs stability in terms of acceleration and top speed. This can be terrain dependent, though... green runs and good grooming are not something my mountain is good at.

Whatever your sweet spot it, find it and go for it!
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

On the crossbows I have no issue of keeping up with my ski and snowboard friends, on any type of slope. In fact now I have to wait for them I am pretty sure you will figure that out too.

You have been riding a very short board - the transition to Crossbow will be big enough.

Also, if you cannot ride the Crossbows fast enough I seriously doubt you will be able to ride skis faster - it is more difficult after all

But if you still want skis and want an easy transition you need to get twin tip freestyle (wider) or freeride (narrower) ski. The Volkl Mantra / Revolt models should be an excellent option. And anything bellow 160 cm would probably be too short for you and you will struggle. I just got my 10 yr son the Revolt Jr as I wanted to. get him something as close to skiboards as possible

Comment

Check out this website--- https://galacticsnowsports.com/colle...rice-ascending you have many choices from 130 up - -and the prices for used skis and bindings with several wear grades is a good place to start - - i see here in LA many cheap used skis for sale by local jobbers - - GL - -

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Working...
                    X