Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DreGarciaTAT2
    replied
    This Coronavirus lockdown has certainly been a severe change of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Steeps
    replied
    Yeah, all of Western Canada is shut down now, I think.

Leave a comment:

• newbie2011
    replied
    Everything shutting down in France as of today ...
    https://www.planetski.eu/2020/03/15/...resorts-close/

Leave a comment:

• jjue
    replied
    We are up in Truckee in the big snowstorm, skied Northstar today but as Wjeong says closed tomorrow, also Squaw ,Alpine, and Sugarbowl also are closing tomorrow because of coronovirus

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• wjeong
    replied
    Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    The season came to an abrupt end. All ski resorts in Andorra and Spain have closed due to COVID-19 related lockdown measures.

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk
    Vail resorts just announced the same at least for next week. Bummer!

Sent from my P027 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    The season came to an abrupt end. All ski resorts in Andorra and Spain have closed due to COVID-19 related lockdown measures.

Leave a comment:

• Baldybob
    replied
    Well, tonight I saw Rick Steve's travel show --and he highlighted all the small countries in Europe - -the final one was Andorra!!! very clean, beautiful downtown - -he went to the Parliament building with the 24 very tight seats in the main chamber - -he was there when the mountains had no snow --but aerial footage shows plenty of steep mountains - -he said these small countries survived because of determination and luck but most are in remote mountain areas --Enjoy your pretty country! hope you get more snow than Tahoe - -still none for nearly 8 weeks - - plan to skiboard with you once again!!

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Yesterday was my first day out since Shredfest. After riding tough in Tahoe, I felt like an amateur yesterday. It has snow and rain all week and I tried to sneak some skiing in a break in the morning's weather. Although the groomers were pretty decent, it was between the trees, where I encountered some weird snow I really struggled on with the Slingshots. It was too soft i.e. not icy enough to get the edges in, yet too hard for the tails to sink in. The only way seemingly was snowplough turns.

I called it a day very quickly. Going out snowshoeing today and hopefully there will be another break in the weather on Sunday.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Dawn patrol! With the last of the full moon hanging in the air and before the sun rises, we set up on what have become a regular session for Monday mornings. Skin up at Pal resort before opening hours to get to the top of Pic del Cubil. THen ski down again to be in time for the office. On-piste snow was great this morning an then were no icy section when it got steep. I'm on Ospreys as usual standing around looking very blue today as this is my back-up gear I am wearing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200210_072653.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	261871Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200210_091443_resized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	629.9 KB
ID:	261872
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Greco
    replied
    Thanks so much Schalk for saving the day for Ben and his wife!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Caught up with BenJozi & co again yesterday and we went skiboarding at my favourite Andorran resort - Arcalis. Ben went to rental shop in the morning and got a pair of rental alpine boots. He was using my pair of Crossbows fitted with a rental bindings for the day.

Within the 2nd run of the day I could see an improvement in his technique and he was starting to follow my curving lines. I could see that he was really enjoying evenwith the swollen ankle that he got crashing with his softboot bindings on the first day.

By this time I have got both of them running red runs with confidence.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    So what do you do if your skiboards get lost in transit between the USA and France? It happened to one of the pairs that BenJozi ordered. Well if you decide to come skiboarding in Andorra, you get a loner pair from yours truly. So we met up in the El Tarter section of the Grandvalira resort today. Benjozi was on his new Sticky Ickys with softboot bindings and his other half on a pair of Allz Elailas with Merit/Snowjam NR bindings. Both of them have some previous skiing experience, but none of them have ever been on real skiboards.

Name:	20200114_141546.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	261456

It took a time for Benjozi to adjust to the snowboards bindings and it affirms my bias that the transition is not easy. Going straight from skis on hard boots to skiboards on hard boots is much easier. It takes time to find the required technique to turn correctly on soft boots, especially if there has been more than one year's interval since one's last outing on skis. It is also important to learn to fall correctly, especially on NR bindings - something that he learnt very quickly. I always tell people that if you know it is happenings, to get your feet off the ground as quickly as possible as to not catch a tip or tail, then allow the action of the fall to flow and take the first part of the slide if need be whilst composing yourself again. Finally use the edges of the skiboards to stop the slide (or roll up again onto your feet if you can).

Name:	20200114_133309.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	261455
    But we spent a great morning riding blue groomers under blue sky whilst they had a chance to practice their technique and I could see the improvement by the end of our day. It's all about [1] learning to trust the edges and [2] not be scared to make the transition in the turn.

Name:	Screenshot_20200114_164050.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	261457
    The plan is to meet up later in the week again. In the meantime I might just get a chance to sample the lovely six bottles of wine they brought me.

Name:	20200114_183452.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1,012.4 KB
ID:	261458
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    I started the morning riding Slingshots, then about lunch-time, I switched to the Crossbows with the Tyrolia SP100 rental bindings. I do think the heavier rental binding makes it slightly less responsive. It's not just because it is heavier, but also because i think something like Tyrolia's modern Attack bindings are much more sensitive. I am however going to maintain this setup and lend it out to people wanting to try skiboards.

Later in the day I grabbed a pair of Allz Elailas mounted with Merit / Snowjam NR bindings. This was the 2nd generation boards from Allz which sadly are not longer being manufactured. I keep them because they are such classics. I was a bit apprehensive as I haven't been on NR bindings in a long time and I have not ridden anything this short (94cm) for some time too. And when last did I ride fully-cambered boards? The conditions were just right for these boards. The sun and the morning's skiers have loosened the snow and what a joy it was to ride!!

I absolutely sent it down the slopes - first run was actually an mis-labeled black run (it is easier than that), but it was no problem. I am also a much better rider than the first time I imported them in 2011 from Latvia, so that contributed to the enjoyment too. Here is one shot riding them. The photo is from nearly the same place where the Slingshot pictures were grabbed from two days ago (https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...393#post261393)

Click image for larger version  Name:	RIdingElailas.jpg Views:	0 Size:	107.3 KB ID:	261425

P.S. These are the boards. I see Greco might still have some in stock -> http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/allz2011.html.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Fitted a pair of Crossbows with a set of rental bindings. Going to take them for spin tomorrow to check performance with a much heavier binding than the Attacks.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    A slight dusting of snow and another day to test the Slingshots out in Arinsal. It is pretty easy to get a low turning stance on them.

Name:	RippingItUpOnSlingshots2.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	261394

Name:	RippingItUpOnSlingshots1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	261395

Leave a comment:

Working...