Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ysb33r
    replied
    I was out on the Ospreys today in the backcountry. We were a couple of people, some very experiened and I was the only person on skiboards.

It was a tough day for me on the accent as I slipped three times on a steep icy slope and slid down part of the slope. We later found out that there has been a Pyrenees-wide alert on the icy conditions.

The decent was much better. Tricky due to the continuous variable terrain, but I was never in discomfort. Although I did miss the agility of the Crossbows or Slingshots.

A couple of things I noticed on the Ospreys and the backcountry touring kit.

- Climbing with crampons does not always work well due to the position of the crampon on the Ambition binding. This means that the crampon disengages too early when trying to step-turn.

- When traversing a steep icy slope there is not always enough edge,.so the movement became slow and precautionary. Thinner bavkcountry skis did better here as they needed less of a ledge to glide. Maybe more experience might resolve this.

- The Ospreys handled mixed terrain on the decent very well. We had everything today - icy patches, soft patches, slush, steeps, trees, rocky terrain. But the Ospreys are beasts and perform better when they have some speed. Turning tight on mixed terrain between the trees was tricky. I noticed that sometimes the edges caught ans pizza/snow plough turns were the best. It was the first time I had to do this. Didn't feel to bad as I noticed a number of people on backcountry skis did the same.

- The skins that Jeff recommended have very good grip and soon as the snow softened, traversing steep slopes without crampons was easier. Tiring, but easier. The group leader commented on how well it gripped.

Hey ho, some photos...

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Hi Ben,

I am in the US 17 Feb - 1 Mar.

Any other time hit me up in Andorra. So if you're coming next week, just privmsg me your mobile and we can connect on Whatsapp/Telegram.

Leave a comment:

• BenJozi
    replied
    Hi there, thanks for your posts about ski boarding in Andorra, very informative. I’m living just outside of Toulouse and heading over to Andorra with my wife and skiboards for the first time next week, will you be around at that time or back in the states? Regards. Ben

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Finally the postman came knocking!!
    \

I originally ordered 2x pairs of Crossbows as backups, but when I heard about the new Slingshots I asked Jeff to substitute me a pair. So they finally arrived. I am quite keen to see how the narrower tail will affect turning on groomed slopes.

Going to take them for a test drive on New Year's day. Too much freeze-thaw over the last week, so side-piste riding is rock-hard. Really waiting to get a good dusting of snow later in the week.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    The first resort opened this weekend. As I thought snow coverage might not be that good I opted to rather do a skimo trip to get into the spirit of things. I also invested in an Osprey Kamber 32 for this eason so it was a chance to give it a test drive.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of snow cover that did exist, so I am thinking of heading out for some proper skiing on Tuesday morning for when blue skies are forecasted.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    The first resort opened this weekend. As I thought snow coverage might not be that good I opted to rather do a skimo trip to get into the spirit of things. I also invested in an Osprey Kamber 32 for this eason so it was a chance to give it a test drive.

I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of snow cover that did exist, so I am thinking of heading out for some proper skiing on Tuesday morning for when blue skies are forecasted.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    And now the snow is finally getting into the village...

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
    We moved into a new place in early autumn. Great views and you can see the gondola of the Arinsal ski resort in the one pic.

Hey, yes we had some snow already too.

Beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    Since we now have a proper garage we set up some storage for the winter equipment.

I still need to fit some small crossbars so that the skiboards are not standing in a puddle of water after a day out.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    replied
    We moved into a new place in early autumn. Great views and you can see the gondola of the Arinsal ski resort in the one pic.

Hey, yes we had some snow already too.

Leave a comment:

• ysb33r
    started a topic The Andorra 2019/2020 Skiboarding Report

The Andorra 2019/2020 Skiboarding Report

It is only a couple of weeks before the season opens. This is my blog roll of how skiboarding over the season progresses and whether I meet any skiboarders here.

I have bought my skipass a couple of days ago. This year the prices have got up from €179 to €201 (yes, it is still a bargain).

Snow has already been falling in drips and draps in September and October, but this is early and some of it will definitely melt away before the season opens.

BTW If you want more general details on skiboarding in Andorra see the Andorra Resort Report.
Working...
X