Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Variable conditions and Powder riding questions answered.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by winterparkrider
    I ride some of the deepest pow out there and go real fuckin big in the backcountry.I have never adjusted my bindings.if you want to know the key to floating through powder its this simple ,wax for temp and humidity and of course keep thsoe feet togeather,stick your ass out a little and keep you nose over your toes and a whole new world of deep pow skiboarding will open up for you
    Great tips, last time i rode backcountry in CO was when i was a big boarder, i still take out my powder gun to ride if the occasion calls. When i wrote this 99cm was the longest skiboard i think, not sure, light powder was awesome riding, but heavy powder was hell (saturated with water).

Last year i got my hands on the ALP, i rode park city 5 days total, 2 days of which i hiked jupiter peak. Canyons i rode 3 days, 1 of them i did a monstrous hike to drop in the huge bowl to the left of chair 9990 for the fresh, the tree riding was also phenomenal that day.

Im looking forward to your signature skiboard, hopefully it is stiffer than the ALP, and the mid section is wider. My ALP's are basically destroyed beyond repair from hucking and variable conditions. Looking forward to the condor.

I might do more AT skiing this year than skiboarding depending on conditions, but we shall see
    Revel8 ALP 110cm 06-07
    Bomber Elite Bindings
    Tecnica Vento 8 Ultra fit 06-07
    Revel8 Gear bag
    Anon Figment Rasta Goggles
    Leedom Scream Helmet (Alpine)

Comment

I was under the impression no one was going to see the line up until sat but thanks. I have been waiting a long time for a pro model skiboard and now I have it. the dementions are sick. I bet it will be an all mt board. I bet they will just fly on the groomers. All that surface area and the side cut well, lets just say they should be fast. Greco really hooked it up this season. watch out for those boards in fakie downhill and boarder-x. we should have skiable snow in a month or so . I will up load video as soon as I get it . and as soon as I get the boards. Hope you like em. Brett
      live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

yea dude to me it sounds that the condors are where its at ..

Comment

We've gone through some really nice pow in Steamboat, Crested Butte, and Copper Mountain, thigh high In the trees tearing up stuff skiers and snowboarders couldn't even get to.
          ALP / Spruce Riser Pro,
          HELMET CAM for recording cool Shxt

Skiboard to inspire....

Comment

I grew up in VT where in new hampshire do you live. and how often do you get to CO.

Comment

I want to see the Condors on the fakie downhill. Bet those things fly. Post a vid when you can.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Originally posted by winterparkrider
                I grew up in VT where in new hampshire do you live. and how often do you get to CO.
                I live Pelham, and I'll actually be hiking in Beaver Creek in a couple of weeks. But usually get out west each year for a 5 day trip. However, this year will probably be Whistler instead of CO.
                ALP / Spruce Riser Pro,
                HELMET CAM for recording cool Shxt

Skiboard to inspire....

Comment

There will definitly be video of the test runs. Kinda my own video review. I live about 2 hours from beaver creek. I even worked there a couple years ago.

Comment

am i gunna see you going huge? all the surface areaaa lol

Comment

I will be doing a variety of things this season. But yes I will be going huge. Condors have to fly dont they?

Comment

Iam gunna get a taste of Sum Champagne PoWpOw this year kids here at school already given me shit for being a snowlerblader/skiblader/retardskier..... hahaha boy this year will be fun when iam zig-zagging trees that 170cms can't make turns for : )
                        Last edited by Greco; 10-16-2007, 07:19 AM.
                        ppPhotobucket

Comment

Not only will you get to experiance the unreal powder that steamboat gets but you will also get something most people dont even think of until it happens. You get, are you ready for this? Your first winter without a drop af rain. You will not be sitting on an Ice covered chairlift. You will not get to the bottom and look like you just shattered. Even if you dont get that much snow all the time . It will never fall as rain.

Comment

I can vouche for that! havent seen rain since back in the CHI jan 5th when it was 63.. and not here in Da Boat since the middle of October!! Its been dropping clouds all week here cuz its -4-10 (clouds = POW) had to ride my 175cms cuz the snow was too dry and deep for the Boards, i need to invest in better waxes...
                            ppPhotobucket

Comment

Originally posted by Ian.cap View Post
                              I mostly ride woods and for years always set my bindings back to help with floating on powder. I recently set my Revolts to center mount and even in the knee to waist deep powder I was hitting earlier this week I was riding just fine. I think it really depends on the boards whether you "need" to set them back more. Plus matching a board for your height/weight is going to keep you above powder. I'm 6' and about 200 pounds. I used to ride 90's and while it's still fun to pull them out once in a while I wouldn't think of using them in deep pow anymore. Unless I wanted a good leg workout of course.
                              I wanted to update this thread a bit . Ian cap's point from back in 2006 is well taken . I used to be a firm believer in set backs in deep pow . What most of us have found with the new big floaty skiboards is exactly what Ian points out . If you match your weight with the proper board , you can ride center mount boards very well in pow without a need to set back your bindings and without burning out your quads by assuming a way rearward stance . One of the best things for me about the new generation of big floatier skiboards , is that there are boards now that allow us to ride comfortably center mount in all conditions with a neutral stance with just subtle changes in weight distribution and without having to assume awkward stances or fiddling with binding locations .
                              Boards :
                              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                              Boots
                              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                              Bindings:
                              Zero Pro Non release Binding
                              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hey guys! I ski in Massachusetts where conditions are often pretty icy. I was wondering something: are skiboards made to handle icier conditions better than normal skis? How similar are they to the way a snowboard can carve and does that have anything to do with ice? Do they do better in powder or on icier slopes?

Also,
                                I just got my Mary Janes this past December but I didn't wax them or get them waxed. Is this important? What does wax do? And how can I fix that if I need to?
                                Skiing combines outdoor fun with knocking down trees with your face. ~Dave Barry

The sensual caress of waist deep cold smoke.... glory in skiing virgin snow, in being the first to mark the powder with the signature of their run. ~Tim Cahill

Skiing is a dance, and the mountain always leads. ~Author Unknown

<3 <3 <3

Comment

Working...
                                X