Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping

Hi guys

i recently got into skiboarding after having experience with skis and snow blades. I also was an aggressive inline skater in the 90s, was on rails, flips etc.. Im excited to begin my venture again in the snow world. Im currently using ski boots because quite frankly safety is priority for me and im a bit weary with the none release for now. Also the none release banned in Quebec (im in canada) and i want to use them there too..

My question thus is jumping. It seems really really hard to jump with ski boots holy shit.. is this the same with those hard or soft snowboard boots too? im just curious if the way a skiboarder in skiboots jumps is very different to the others i guess is what im trying to get at.. like WOW this is something else.. ive looked up the ski boots jump technique and im actively practicing and progressing fast but yea just curious . I can jump high and im in good shape.. this is so difficult lol!

thanks for your thoughts
    Skiboards :

Rvl8 Blunt XL & STicky Ickys 2019's with Spruce Riser Pro Prime Plus

Summit Carbon 99 CM with Atom FFG 12 Bindings

Boots:

Alpina X-Track 70

What do you find hardest about jumping? Is it mostly the landing? Are you doing tricks too?

I don't do a lot of tricks, but when I jump I try to land with my weight over my heels. You have to keep your weight very centred on the landing, or else you'll fall forward or backwards. I ride with my boots set far back on my bindings (non release bindings with hard ski boots).

Landing jumps into soft snow takes a lot of practice... I left a lot of face marks on the hill before I mastered it.
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

It is really hard to jump on skiboards (and on skis too), because when you would jump off the ground in your shoes, you would naturally release your heels and jump of your toes, which gives you a lot of pop. In ski boots (or snowboard boots attached to a binding) this is not possible, so that is why we use kickers to give you a bit of air time. It is very important to still try to jump and fully extend your body when you get to the lip. There are great video's about this on youtube (any ski good freestyle ski tutorial works fine) that teach you how to pop and how to approach jumps. You will however find it very hard to jump more than 1-2 foot in the air on flat ground. That is nothing strange, that's just the way skiboards and skis work.

If you want to practice this in your living room, focus on jumping while releasing your whole foot from the ground at the same time (not the heels before the toes).

Snowboarders have a little advantage in jumping, because they can release their front foot before their back foot. That's why they can tackle some improperly built rough bumps/jumps more easily.

Comment

Working...
      X