Early Season 2018 - Who's Riding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^^^^^ Agreed.

Although the FB page has created a much larger reaching community of skiboarders, for now, SBOL has seen a reduction in traffic. But I think we all knew this would happen. There are many FB members that would never have found their way here, so in that sense, it is helping to grow the sport. And so far, I think it's fair to say that the tone has been just as helpful and cordial as here.

I think for many, the encyclopedia of threads on SBOL have become the definitive research tool when it comes to our sport. Almost any subject you can name, from boards to bindings to technique, can be researched here. Just look at the wealth of knowledge on soft boot set ups alone for instance. In contrast, the conversations on FB are fleeting and impossible to archive for future reference. In fact, when the same old questions are asked, like the safety of non release bindings, people are directed here. Based on that alone, I think are forum will persevere.

There is still room for both, but I do wish we could find a solution to uploading media to the forum. The ability to directly upload images and video directly to FB ,from any device,is a huge advantage, and the inability to do so here puts us at a huge disadvantage.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      ^^^^^ Agreed.

Although the FB page has created a much larger reaching community of skiboarders, for now, SBOL has seen a reduction in traffic. But I think we all knew this would happen. There are many FB members that would never have found their way here, so in that sense, it is helping to grow the sport. And so far, I think it's fair to say that the tone has been just as helpful and cordial as here.

I think for many, the encyclopedia of threads on SBOL have become the definitive research tool when it comes to our sport. Almost any subject you can name, from boards to bindings to technique, can be researched here. Just look at the wealth of knowledge on soft boot set ups alone for instance. In contrast, the conversations on FB are fleeting and impossible to archive for future reference. In fact, when the same old questions are asked, like the safety of non release bindings, people are directed here. Based on that alone, I think are forum will persevere.

There is still room for both, but I do wish we could find a solution to uploading media to the forum. The ability to directly upload images and video directly to FB ,from any device,is a huge advantage, and the inability to do so here puts us at a huge disadvantage.
      I agree all round with this. Have NEVER had a Facebook presence and have always felt the image kludge here put off new members and those less computer literate. There have been many times I have simply not bothered to insert images. I understand the reasoning, but times have changed and cloud space is now cheaper than ever.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
      Crossbow (go to dream board)
      Most everything else over time.
      Go Android

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
        Have NEVER had a Facebook presence and have always felt the image kludge here put off new members and those less computer literate. There have been many times I have simply not bothered to insert images.
        Like Dave, I don't (and won't) participate in Facebook.

Re: photo-posting. Years ago, I used a photo-posting service (I forget the name) which went defunct. Then I signed up with Photobucket. Just about the time I got comfortable using that service they went south, too, so starting over (again) from scratch is discouraging when your computer skills are at Jethro Bodine level. That's exactly why I have not posted any photos in a while.

Comment

FWIIW: Posting pictures on this forum within Tapatalk is simple and does not require a photo hosting service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Yeah, I don't do facebook, so I'm glad this forum is as lively as it is. I've seen other forums go the way of the dodo.But hey... this is exactly the right crowd to stick with something that works, right?

I don't do smartphones either, but have been using imgur.com for photos. More or less the same deal as Photobucket and previous services, easy to upload and you can even make some edits right on the page.

-----

More importantly, the snow came this week so I'm back on the Spliffs and crushing runs again! Getting my strength back, too... pulled my first 25,000 vertical ft day today, and it felt about right.

Supposed to be powder all week, but I'll be working, then travelling for Christmas. Probably won't get to ride again for 10 days or more, but will try to bag 5 days in a row when I get back.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

I agree all round with this. Have NEVER had a Facebook presence and have always felt the image kludge here put off new members and those less computer literate. There have been many times I have simply not bothered to insert images. I understand the reasoning, but times have changed and cloud space is now cheaper than ever.

The lack of the ability to upload images wasn't on purpose, anyone know of a vbulletin expert?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                The lack of the ability to upload images wasn't on purpose, anyone know of a vbulletin expert?

If you use the Tapatalk app to access the Forum it very easy to insert photos from any smartphone.

Rick ><)))°>
                rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
                  If you use the Tapatalk app to access the Forum it very easy to insert photos from any smartphone.

Rick ><)))°>
                  From my Samsung S8

Rick ><)))°>
                  rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
                  ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

Agreeing with everyone. Times have changed. In the end, it's about the health of the Skiboard industry. We need to promote Skiboarding in a positive way and buy new product from the manufacturers as often as we can...
                    Happy Holidays from Rick, Barb, Chels & Gill

Rick ><)))°>
                    rickylink

~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Comment

I rode twice already since november! Snow Valley at barrie ontario, and Horshoeresort also in ontario.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
                        How's your hosting plan? I'm no expert (and the little I know is phBB), but I think the downside to uploading images is that you are now hosting that data on your site instead of remotely. On a high-traffic site this could end up costing a fair bit, but we're not really that big in the scheme of things. Limiting attachment sizes can help, if it's a reasonable enough size to post a web-sized picture.

I always thought it was a file size issue here, but I can get neither the image-from-computer or the attachment function to work at all now, with Firefox.

The hosting-site workaround was always good enough for the old internet, but as noted the hosting keeps changing and getting more difficult, while the new media makes things too easy. Hell with FB, viva la forum, and damn the corporate torpedoes! Thanks for keeping this going, Greco.
                        BOARDSLAYER
                        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Forum Support

Greco,

I'm not familiar with vBulletin in particular but do work within the IT space and would do what I can to contribute if you'd like. This space along with the FB group have been an awesome community for gathering information and simply getting to read about others experiences.

Matt

Comment

Not sure if it still counts as early season, but the usual Christmas break snow drought is upon us. I've been away from the mountain for a few days and got back out today. A bit of chopped powder here and there, but the lower hill's getting pretty hard-packed. Good excuse to get the DLPs out tomorrow, especially since I ripped the ptex patch out of my injured Spliff (from last season) and need to fix it up before I blow out the edge.
                            BOARDSLAYER
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                              Not sure if it still counts as early season, but the usual Christmas break snow drought is upon us. I've been away from the mountain for a few days and got back out today. A bit of chopped powder here and there, but the lower hill's getting pretty hard-packed. Good excuse to get the DLPs out tomorrow, especially since I ripped the ptex patch out of my injured Spliff (from last season) and need to fix it up before I blow out the edge.
                              Rode Rockered Condors at Mt. Bachelor today. It was awesome. Been dumping for weeks and it was bluebird today.

Comment

I think we are on day 7, Opened up Fernie, Kicking Horse and Kimberley this year. in the middle of selling our house but i have 5 more days off so hopefully We get out 3 or 4 of those days! not much new snow over here I think we had 11cm sat night that helped a lot!.

Any day on snow is a good day, if you ask me.

Comment

Working...
                                X