Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a secondary "hybrid" skiboard - need advice

Greetings.
    First of all thanks to all of you for indirectly making me pick skiboards. Love them.
    This is going to be a little long, so I can explain my desires/issues.
    I currently ride a pair of 2015 KTPs, non release and Tecnica Cochise 110
    Me:
    3 years experience
    2-3 weeks average skiing/season
    1.83 cm (6 foot 0?)
    105 kgs (230 lbs)
    not very muscular, trying to lose some weight until next season

The KTPs are awesome on groomers and I saw Talon having a blast in parks, but the issue is, my skiing friend, snowboarder likes powder a lot and in all the resorts I've been to(Central and Southern Europe), none of the parks were working or were full of powder, unlucky I guess. I was also on a "snowed like hell last night" powder slope and it took me 40 mins to come down because I wasn't able to keep the tips up for a long time. I'm not a speedy guy, I usually take the groomers at slow/med speed to try tricks. I like jumps, small at the moment, looking to improve. Regarding powder, I doubt we'll try deep off piste, usually it's medium.

So I want to buy another set of skiboards for all around use. If I'll ever find a good park, I can ride the KTPs, but until then, I tire fast in powder with them.
    I got my eyes on the DLP because of the rocker, no camber and a bit longer for better landings, butters and grabs. I'm trying to compensate for some of my mobility shortcomings.
    I read people recommending the Blunts XL, but at my weight, can they support me?
    The Condor were also a choice, but they seem to be mostly for powder.

What do you suggest?
    Also, any arguments for picking RVL8 non release bindings over BxB(https://skiboards.eu/en/skiboard-bin...indings.html)? I bought them at first, because I wasn't sure I'd like them. At the moment they hold, wondering if I should change.

Thanks for the help.
    Cheers

edit: one more thing, I want to improve over summer. my buddy said he's looking into a training board and a trampoline, can I do that also? I can do 180s, still afraid of 360s.

The best way to improve your skiboarding in the off season is to get a pair of inline skates and spend as much time on them as you can. Taking them into the local skate park will really challenge and improve your balance.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Lsstefan View Post
      Greetings.
      First of all thanks to all of you for indirectly making me pick skiboards. Love them.....
      Welcome to the sport and the forum!!!

..... So I want to buy another set of skiboards for all around use. If I'll ever find a good park, I can ride the KTPs, but until then, I tire fast in powder with them.
      I got my eyes on the DLP because of the rocker, no camber and a bit longer for better landings, butters and grabs. I'm trying to compensate for some of my mobility shortcomings.
      I read people recommending the Blunts XL, but at my weight, can they support me?
      The Condor were also a choice, but they seem to be mostly for powder......
      First some comments on the boards your are considering and currently riding:

DLPs -- The extra length of the DLPs might help in powder but they are narrower than the KTPs and if you are struggling with the KTPs in powder you'll likely not see improvements by going to the DLPs. Also the DLPs are not rockered. They are a full camber board.

Blunt XLs -- The XLs, which are rockered, are easier in powder but still not great at floating us bigger riders. This is a limitation of all skiboards for tall, heavy riders.

Condors -- The Rockered Condors are great at floating bigger guys in powder. I actually regret selling mine when heavy powder days hit. On hard pack they require a lot of balance but if you are a balanced centered rider you can make them work in all conditions. If you are more likely to get soft deeper snow than icy hardpack these could be a good fit. They would certainly complement the KTPs. (KTPs for hardpack and park days, Rocker Condors for powder days)

KTPs -- Did you try setting back binding to the back set of inserts on the KTPs or are you riding them centered? The setback shifts your weight back and helps keep the tips up in deep snow. If you have not tried that yet I suggest you do.

What do you suggest? .....
      Some suggestions to add to your consideration list:

RVL8 Spliffs -- These are a true hybrid board. Still very wide like the KTPs but they have some rocker that helps keep the tips up and they are 8cm longer than the KTPs. Unlike the Rockered Condors the rocker is very gentle and they have camber underfoot. This makes them suitable for powder and hardpack.

Spruce Crossbows -- These are another hybrid Rocker/Camber/Rocker board but at 115cm they are very well suited for larger riders. These would require you upgrading to release bindings as they have 4x10 inserts and won't work with your BxB non-release bindings. There are several threads on the forum about these.

Spruce Sherpas or Ospreys -- This is taking the leap to a short ski (or at least venturing into the gap between true skiboards and long skis) At 130 cm and with a mix of rocker and camber many bigger riders love these for riding powder. Like the Crossbows these would require a change to release bindings.

Twoowt Skiboards -- Being in Romania you might have better access to Twoowt products than we do in the States. (http://www.twoowt.ru). Check out the SOVA and LION models both of which are wide boards with rocker. I have not ridden these but have heard good things.

Also, any arguments for picking RVL8 non release bindings over BxB(https://skiboards.eu/en/skiboard-bin...indings.html)? I bought them at first, because I wasn't sure I'd like them. At the moment they hold, wondering if I should change. .....
      The BxB bindings are fine. If you end up with two sets of boards you might want a second set of bindings as constant changes are a pain. If you decide to get a second set I would recommend the RVL8 Receptors as an upgrade.

edit: one more thing, I want to improve over summer. my buddy said he's looking into a training board and a trampoline, can I do that also? I can do 180s, still afraid of 360s.
      A balance board and time on a trampoline can certainly improve your skills in the off season. The balance board is good for just improving your core strength and trampoline time can improve your body awareness when in the air. I would also suggest some form of skating (indoor ice skating or rollerblading). Skating skills and muscle usage translate well to skiboarding.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
        The best way to improve your skiboarding in the off season is to get a pair of inline skates and spend as much time on them as you can. Taking them into the local skate park will really challenge and improve your balance.
        Thanks man, after finding out some training boards are 300$ and a decent trampoline is 200 euros more, I gave up on that. 1 hour after posting I went looking for skates. Don't think we have skate park in this small town, but I'll make it work, even if jumping curbs the whole summer, still an improvement.

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
        Welcome to the sport and the forum!!!
        Thanks man, I've been riding skiboards for 3 years, like since I started skiing
        But it's still so nice to read this forum, even if I'm not active. You guys are perfect when it comes to weird stuff, like using snowboard bindings on skis, nobody judges you. Newschoolers is so toxic sometimes. Wish you guys were on car forums where people ask about engine swaps and all they get is bad feedback...

First some comments on the boards your are considering and currently riding:

DLPs -- The extra length of the DLPs might help in powder but they are narrower than the KTPs and if you are struggling with the KTPs in powder you'll likely not see improvements by going to the DLPs. Also the DLPs are not rockered. They are a full camber board.

Blunt XLs -- The XLs, which are rockered, are easier in powder but still not great at floating us bigger riders. This is a limitation of all skiboards for tall, heavy riders.

Condors -- The Rockered Condors are great at floating bigger guys in powder. I actually regret selling mine when heavy powder days hit. On hard pack they require a lot of balance but if you are a balanced centered rider you can make them work in all conditions. If you are more likely to get soft deeper snow than icy hardpack these could be a good fit. They would certainly complement the KTPs. (KTPs for hardpack and park days, Rocker Condors for powder days)

KTPs -- Did you try setting back binding to the back set of inserts on the KTPs or are you riding them centered? The setback shifts your weight back and helps keep the tips up in deep snow. If you have not tried that yet I suggest you do.
        Damn, I didn't even remember I can do that. I think the bindings are center or front, I'll look into that.
        I'll drop the DLPs and XLs then.
        I'm still not sure about the Condors. They sound super great for powder, but man my skiing experiences have been so varied. One day they don't groom and the slopes are powderish, which is super awesome because I don't gain speed fast and the next day they might be flat as the Earth (joke)...

Some suggestions to add to your consideration list:

RVL8 Spliffs -- These are a true hybrid board. Still very wide like the KTPs but they have some rocker that helps keep the tips up and they are 8cm longer than the KTPs. Unlike the Rockered Condors the rocker is very gentle and they have camber underfoot. This makes them suitable for powder and hardpack.

Spruce Crossbows -- These are another hybrid Rocker/Camber/Rocker board but at 115cm they are very well suited for larger riders. These would require you upgrading to release bindings as they have 4x10 inserts and won't work with your BxB non-release bindings. There are several threads on the forum about these.

Spruce Sherpas or Ospreys -- This is taking the leap to a short ski (or at least venturing into the gap between true skiboards and long skis) At 130 cm and with a mix of rocker and camber many bigger riders love these for riding powder. Like the Crossbows these would require a change to release bindings.

Twoowt Skiboards -- Being in Romania you might have better access to Twoowt products than we do in the States. (http://www.twoowt.ru). Check out the SOVA and LION models both of which are wide boards with rocker. I have not ridden these but have heard good things.

The BxB bindings are fine. If you end up with two sets of boards you might want a second set of bindings as constant changes are a pain. If you decide to get a second set I would recommend the RVL8 Receptors as an upgrade.

A balance board and time on a trampoline can certainly improve your skills in the off season. The balance board is good for just improving your core strength and trampoline time can improve your body awareness when in the air. I would also suggest some form of skating (indoor ice skating or rollerblading). Skating skills and muscle usage translate well to skiboarding.
        Spliffs sound nice, I'll look into them.
        Never heard of TWOOWTs until today when I saw a skiboarding video from here and the guy fell and I saw his under ski. The website looks nice and they are pretty cheap. I see they also have non release bindings, look like RVL8 ones. I'd feel bad not wearing RVL8 skiboards on this forum, but they seem nice.
        Unless I go to the US next year, I think I'll depend on the european rvl8 importer, he sells them at a very good price, me ordering them thru customs means twice the price.

Thank you a lot for all the comments. I'll get into skating asap, full gear because I will fall
        Cheers guys.
        Much love and hope one day I'll get to ski with some of you/future skiboarders, it gets lonely where I'm going.

Comment

Some thoughts. See below .....

Thanks man, after finding out some training boards are 300$ and a decent trampoline is 200 euros more, I gave up on that. ....
          Don't buy a balance board. Some hardware store pipe and some leftover wood and you can make one for a few bucks in an afternoon. I made a pretty rough one for my daughter from scraps but it works fine. Here's a DIY video if you are ambitious enough to try building one:

As far as trampolines go here in the States there are two lower cost options.
          1) Buy used. Lots of people buy backyard trampolines for their kids and then look to get rid of them. If you lived in my neighborhood I know of two that you could like have for free. (Shipping to Romania would be tricky ... )
          2) The other option is trampoline parks. We have these all over the place here and for $10 or so you can bounce on a professional grade trampoline for a couple of hours and work on tricks and such. Not sure if the fad has caught on in Romania but worth searching you local area to see if one exists. With all those great Romanian gymnasts there has to be a trampoline facility somewhere in the country.

... 1 hour after posting I went looking for skates. Don't think we have skate park in this small town, but I'll make it work, even if jumping curbs the whole summer, still an improvement. ....
          Just skating on the flats is good to keep skiboarding muscles in shape during the off season

.... Damn, I didn't even remember I can do that. I think the bindings are center or front, I'll look into that....
          The best part of this fix is the price ... FREE!

.... I'm still not sure about the Condors. They sound super great for powder, but man my skiing experiences have been so varied. One day they don't groom and the slopes are powderish, which is super awesome because I don't gain speed fast and the next day they might be flat as the Earth (joke)...
          The Rockered Condors are tricky. Some guys love them and some hate them. They require a high degree of balance and concentration but if you are they type of rider that rides with a very upright posture it's pretty easy to adjust to.

.... Never heard of TWOOWTs until today when I saw a skiboarding video from here and the guy fell and I saw his under ski. The website looks nice and they are pretty cheap. I see they also have non release bindings, look like RVL8 ones. ....
          If Twoowts were more accessible in the U.S. I am sure plenty of riders would be using them here. The few models that I have seen over here look solid. If you get a pair post your thoughts on them. Would love to hear how they ride.

I'd feel bad not wearing RVL8 skiboards on this forum, but they seem nice. Unless I go to the US next year, I think I'll depend on the european rvl8 importer, he sells them at a very good price, me ordering them thru customs means twice the price.....
          Don't feel bad about riding a non-RVL8 set of boards. There are plenty of riders here that ride non-RVL8 gear. I am sure Greco (RVL8's Owner) would love to have a monopoly on the sport but the reality is more brands thriving and supporting the sport are good for everyone's business. They can feed off each other and help the sport grow.

As far as ordering direct from SBOL/RVL8 I know that SBOL ships worldwide. You might want to reach out to Greco directly ( Info@skiboardsonline.com) to confirm pricing, customs charges, etc. to see what your cost would be. RVL8/SBOL is a global company and may be able to support you directly but he'll also be honest with you if buying through the European importer is the better way to go.

Good luck!!
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I'd vote for the Spliffs, as I've been on them two seasons and they've proved to be an excellent all-mountain board. I rode them Monday in 50 cm of fresh powder and they floated just fine, even when dropped at speed into fresh snow (Spliffs are for cliffs is my motto ). They ride fine on the groomers too, and can be leaned over pretty nicely on the carves when it's soft. Ideal conditions for the Spliffs seem to be in at least a couple of cm of reasonably fresh snow, but it doesn't matter how tracked up or trashed it is. They ride out over rough stuff easily due to the rocker, but still have enough camber to set an edge and carve. I don't like them as much for trying to carve on icy runs at high speed, due to the width, but then again I don't keep my edges as sharp as I should.

The Spliffs might not be as good for park, but you'll still have your KTPs for that. I'm not a park rider, so I haven't tried them like that.

I picked up some DLPs this year, and I love them for slushy or icy snow (i.e. where I don't need to float), but they don't have the inherent float that the Spliffs do. As Wookie points out, they probably aren't the board you're looking for.
            BOARDSLAYER
            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Some thoughts. See below .....

Don't buy a balance board. Some hardware store pipe and some leftover wood and you can make one for a few bucks in an afternoon. I made a pretty rough one for my daughter from scraps but it works fine. Here's a DIY video if you are ambitious enough to try building one:

As far as trampolines go here in the States there are two lower cost options.
              1) Buy used. Lots of people buy backyard trampolines for their kids and then look to get rid of them. If you lived in my neighborhood I know of two that you could like have for free. (Shipping to Romania would be tricky ... )
              2) The other option is trampoline parks. We have these all over the place here and for $10 or so you can bounce on a professional grade trampoline for a couple of hours and work on tricks and such. Not sure if the fad has caught on in Romania but worth searching you local area to see if one exists. With all those great Romanian gymnasts there has to be a trampoline facility somewhere in the country.

Just skating on the flats is good to keep skiboarding muscles in shape during the off season

The best part of this fix is the price ... FREE!

The Rockered Condors are tricky. Some guys love them and some hate them. They require a high degree of balance and concentration but if you are they type of rider that rides with a very upright posture it's pretty easy to adjust to.

If Twoowts were more accessible in the U.S. I am sure plenty of riders would be using them here. The few models that I have seen over here look solid. If you get a pair post your thoughts on them. Would love to hear how they ride.

Don't feel bad about riding a non-RVL8 set of boards. There are plenty of riders here that ride non-RVL8 gear. I am sure Greco (RVL8's Owner) would love to have a monopoly on the sport but the reality is more brands thriving and supporting the sport are good for everyone's business. They can feed off each other and help the sport grow.

As far as ordering direct from SBOL/RVL8 I know that SBOL ships worldwide. You might want to reach out to Greco directly ( Info@skiboardsonline.com) to confirm pricing, customs charges, etc. to see what your cost would be. RVL8/SBOL is a global company and may be able to support you directly but he'll also be honest with you if buying through the European importer is the better way to go.

Good luck!!

First is Lion, second Sova. I think Lion is the best overall, Sova looks so juicy for powder though. I'll decide between Spliffs and Lions.
              Usually I ski upright, but that's when I'm slow so I don't tire fast. But when it's aggressive time, I ski very down low.
              I'm sort of like an ice skaters

Maybe not that low, but still not straight. And even when I go downhill speeding, the same stance as they have

Not sure it's the best, but I don't really have a good balance sitting straight, I like to feel the ground close to me.
              I don't tilt forward too much, never fallen by edge clipping the slope.

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
              I'd vote for the Spliffs, as I've been on them two seasons and they've proved to be an excellent all-mountain board. I rode them Monday in 50 cm of fresh powder and they floated just fine, even when dropped at speed into fresh snow (Spliffs are for cliffs is my motto ). They ride fine on the groomers too, and can be leaned over pretty nicely on the carves when it's soft. Ideal conditions for the Spliffs seem to be in at least a couple of cm of reasonably fresh snow, but it doesn't matter how tracked up or trashed it is. They ride out over rough stuff easily due to the rocker, but still have enough camber to set an edge and carve. I don't like them as much for trying to carve on icy runs at high speed, due to the width, but then again I don't keep my edges as sharp as I should.

The Spliffs might not be as good for park, but you'll still have your KTPs for that. I'm not a park rider, so I haven't tried them like that.

I picked up some DLPs this year, and I love them for slushy or icy snow (i.e. where I don't need to float), but they don't have the inherent float that the Spliffs do. As Wookie points out, they probably aren't the board you're looking for.
              Thanks for your input bro. Will ask the EU importer if he'll get some, though I saw the twoowt wesbite has rvl8 boards also.

Thank you again for your help, much appreciated.

Always trying to make RVL8 known Landing a jump on my back so I don't hurt the skiboards :O

Comment

Someone say speed skating?????

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tom91381 View Post
                  Someone say speed skating?????

Haha ! Weird part is I ice skated 1 time and in a rink...
                  I actually watched some ice skating, not boring at all to be honest.
                  Btw, did you casually read the whole thread or do you have a setting to get notification when someone says skating?

Comment

I did read it. I was a roller speed skater, then a in-line one but never hit the ice

Comment

Working...
                    X