Last question for a bit...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last question for a bit...

So I have gotten some recommendations lately for a few boards. I have an opportunity to purchase a set of RVL8 slapdash. They fit what I am looking for as in size <100 and increased maneuvering in many types of snow. I didn’t mention previously that I’m 280lbs. My Heads I am using now I have really no problems with as far as riding, etc. I just wanted to have a second set that I could hit a little more powderish conditions with. I had bariatric surgery in August and am down 120lbs already and project to be down to 250ish lbs by next season. Should still work with the Slapdashs right?

Thanks everyone for helping the newbie!
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

If you're looking for something more powder focused, the Slapdashes probably aren't your best bet. They're quite stiff, so riding powder you'd still have to work pretty hard and lean back. You'd probably have a better time in powder on something rockered, allowing you to ride more naturally in powder and work less when it comes to staying afloat and turning.

If you're looking for something on the shorter side, I can't recommend the Blunt XLs enough. They're a blast to ride, especially in powder. A good chunk of our Utah crew ends up on the XLs when we're in the powder and trees.

Here's a shot Cindy shared from our day at Solitude this year:

Comment

Last question for a bit...

Duplicated
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I am not looking for a powder board per say. I am looking for a groomer board that wouldn't kill me if there was fresh snow out there as well. Im really leaning at just stepping back and kicking it with the Heads until they are dead. I was just interested in having a secondary set that would be a little better in softer, fresher, choppier snow that what mine are now.
        Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
        2012 Salomon SPK 90
        2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
          I am not looking for a powder board per say. I am looking for a groomer board that wouldn't kill me if there was fresh snow out there as well. Im really leaning at just stepping back and kicking it with the Heads until they are dead. I was just interested in having a secondary set that would be a little better in softer, fresher, choppier snow that what mine are now.
          By “powder” most of us just mean new snow, and it really doesn’t take much new snow to bog down short, cambered boards like this Slapdashes. Courtney is correct, you will have so much more fun, with a lot less work, on a rockered board like the XLs. She knows!

Comment

Mike - What size is the Boot Sole Length of your ski boots (should be imprinted on, or near, the heels of your boots)? If you are close to my boot size, then you can try out my BluntXLs and Crossbows sometime when we meet up. These would both be good options for what you are looking for. The Sticky Icky would also be something to consider.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
              Mike - What size is the Boot Sole Length of your ski boots (should be imprinted on, or near, the heels of your boots)? If you are close to my boot size, then you can try out my BluntXLs and Crossbows sometime when we meet up. These would both be good options for what you are looking for. The Sticky Icky would also be something to consider.
              That would be great. Thanks man. 305 for my boots
              Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
              2012 Salomon SPK 90
              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

That would be great. Thanks man. 305 for my boots
                I have a 329, but according to my chart, if I move my heel piece forward all the way it should just accommodate your boot at 305.

Comment

I have a 329, but according to my chart, if I move my heel piece forward all the way it should just accommodate your boot at 305.
                  I was wrong. 349 on the boot. I don’t know what the heck I was looking at.
                  Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                  2012 Salomon SPK 90
                  2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I was wrong. 349 on the boot. I don’t know what the heck I was looking at.
                    Bummer - moving my heel piece all the way back can only get to a 337. There are several other guys that ride up here occasionally that might have an option for you to try some of these boards - either in non-release or a release binding. You might have to be willing to test them with a non-release that has more on mountain adjustability.

Comment

Bummer - moving my heel piece all the way back can only get to a 337. There are several other guys that ride up here occasionally that might have an option for you to try some of these boards - either in non-release or a release binding. You might have to be willing to test them with a non-release that has more on mountain adjustability.
                      No worries I will get to try others out at some point. For now I’m happy with what I have. I may buy the set of Slapdash just to have them. Something different to look at. I’ll probably end up at Montage on Sunday if you’re around.
                      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I may buy the set of Slapdash just to have them. Something different to look at. I’ll probably end up at Montage on Sunday if you’re around.
                        I think everyone should own a a pair of Slapdashes, or the equivalent of them. At less than 100cm in length, stiff, cambered, not too wide and 4x4 mounted, they are the classic skiboard. I know we have skiboards now that ride better and are more versatile, but the Slapdashes represent the minimalist feel that the sport is all about. For me, it's only at less than 100cm that skiboards really disappear, and I can ride without any thought of technique. With a non release binding, the connection to the snow is absolute and response immediate. True fun and freedom!

I still take mine out once or twice a season to remind me of what made me first enjoy shorties.

Comment

No worries I will get to try others out at some point. For now I’m happy with what I have. I may buy the set of Slapdash just to have them. Something different to look at. I’ll probably end up at Montage on Sunday if you’re around.
                          Slapdashes are great groomer boards and if you have a good deal with bindings it's a good place to start even if you just keep the bindings and upgrade the boards later. They will be as good if not better than your head blades.

Depending on what bindings you get between Macro and myself we have a good quiver for you to try and I think I have a set of Bomber non release bindings you could borrow for the day.

The Bombers will allow you to try Macro's BluntXLs and my Spliffs and Stickies

If you get a pair of Spruce release bindings with the Slapdashes you can try the boards above plus our Crossbows or my 120s (I have several sets of 120s and could be convinced to part with a set next season).

I am not sure if I'll be around Montage the remainder of this season. I have a season pass to JFBB and as conditions get crappy I would rather ski where I've already paid rather add more cost for lift tickets.
                          Boards:
                          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                            Slapdashes are great groomer boards and if you have a good deal with bindings it's a good place to start even if you just keep the bindings and upgrade the boards later. They will be as good if not better than your head blades.

Depending on what bindings you get between Macro and myself we have a good quiver for you to try and I think I have a set of Bomber non release bindings you could borrow for the day.

The Bombers will allow you to try Macro's BluntXLs and my Spliffs and Stickies

If you get a pair of Spruce release bindings with the Slapdashes you can try the boards above plus our Crossbows or my 120s (I have several sets of 120s and could be convinced to part with a set next season).

I am not sure if I'll be around Montage the remainder of this season. I have a season pass to JFBB and as conditions get crappy I would rather ski where I've already paid rather add more cost for lift tickets.
                            We will definitely have to meet up at some point. I will be up Montage tonight probably but may hit up JFBB once more this season. I would like to try some different offerings before purchasing something that's for sure. Seems like between you guys I would be able to try a variation of different boards before making a decision. Cant thank everyone enough for reaching out and helping me with the ton of questions that I have had so far. I'm sure there will be more down the line.
                            Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                            2012 Salomon SPK 90
                            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

We will definitely have to meet up at some point. I will be up Montage tonight probably but may hit up JFBB once more this season. I would like to try some different offerings before purchasing something that's for sure. Seems like between you guys I would be able to try a variation of different boards before making a decision. Cant thank everyone enough for reaching out and helping me with the ton of questions that I have had so far. I'm sure there will be more down the line.
                              Cool. If there is something in my quiver you are interested in trying let me know so I have it with me. I typically only get to ride on the weekends and much of my gear is stored and not at our cabin so a heads up a few days before will allow me to throw things in car for the weekend. Anything in my quiver is up for grabs with the exception of my yellow 120s and Revolt Cities .... they have too much sentimental value to be loaned out and spend most of their time as wall art these day. I dropped you my cell number in a PM or you can hit me up through the forum.

For JFBB they have announced that both hills will be open through 4/1 with BB staying open weekends after that as long as they have snow and staff to run the place.
                              Boards:
                              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...
                              X