carving help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carving help?

I'm having trouble handling some of the steeper slopes, was wondering if y'all had some suggestions

I just started using canon heritages and I can't turn as precisely as I can on my spruce flyers, not sure if this is due to the stiffness of the flyers, or the narrowness of the flyers or the length.

I was on some steep icy trails today, and I had a hard time holding a good edge, Ijust kept sliding downthe mountain.. is that just how it's gonna be since my boards are short, I'm heavy, and the trails are steep and icy?

Is this someting that can be fixed with proper carving technique? I was able to carve a little with my flyers, but I don't think I realy can with the cannons, for both my primary way of getting around is to treat them like short skis and turn in that manner.... I know to carve you lean... but that's really all the knowledge I have.
    any tips?

thx guys

I have the same exact experience with my canons and flyers...I think the flyers are just better at carving cuz that's what they were designed for...the canons are general use boards that excel, in my opinon, in the trees and in parks...
    105cm Revel8 EMPs
    82cm Groove Retros
    Bomber Bindings All The Way!

Comment

If you are on icy steeps you will slide out some on most skiboards. I've discovered the best thing to do is ride until you begin to lose an edge, then make a sharp turn and push your legs out. This will force your edges into the snow and will slow you down so you will stop sliding.
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

so you mean instead of trying to hold one long turn make a lot of short turns?

I bought the canons for park and trees, I don't plan on doing much icy steeps with them, but it'll be good to refine my technique for them anyways. They weren't good in the trees this last time I went, but that's cause the snow was real cruddy. It had rained, and it was deep snow, so it was like stiff deep snow, it was fine when you dind't sink down, but once you sunk you couldn't lift your boards out of it as easy as you can when it's powder

what's the difference between a regular ski turn and a carving turn.. I know there's lean invovled in carving but I lean a little when I turn on skis as well...? Do I lean more on carving turns to make sure that I'm riding on the edges? I feel like I'm going to fall over if Ido that, is that cause I'm going too slow?

thx

Comment

Make a lot of sharp turns, but hold each turn out for a little bit so you turn until you go straight across the run instead of down it. Modern skis can carve to some extent, but you can push skiboards a lot harder. In fact if you're on a somewhat steepish run and are going fast enough you should be able to carve hard enough to drag your hand along the snow. If you are almost falling when you carve it is because you don't have enough speed. One of the best feelings I ever had was carving as hard as I could as I went up a bank on the side of a run and I actually ended up with my feet above my head in the carve.
          I do it because I can.
          I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

so I go real fast, and then I lean.. and do nothing else? the board will turn? can I control the carving radius? or is that determined by the boards themselves, their sidecut, and tips.

Comment

You can change how tight it is, but the sidecut will determine the total range. The main key to carving is just getting up on your edges so they can dig in and catch. I can't really give much more advice than I have, carving is just a feeling that will come naturally as you try it and start learning how to do it.
              I do it because I can.
              I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

what makes some boards carve better on ice than others? is it stiffness? lengthwise, or tortional stiffness?

I have composite risers, do you think it'll help me handle ice on my cannons if I switch to aluminum risers?

thx

Comment

Hugoshi.....you need to try this. Now I am going to try to describe what to do, but it is more awkward to describe than to do. You need to tip your boards up on edge NOT by leaning, but by swinging your knees to the side. Try this at home. Put your boots on, and standing on carpet, bend your knees forward a little, then just swing both knees to one side. You will see your boots tip up on edge, which is what you need for carving, but your weight is still straight down, which makes the edges bite, and stops them sliding out. You only need to lean enough to resist the centrifugal force, which is quite low untill you get going really fast. This will also help you keep your boards close together and fairly evenly weighted, which resists chatter. Also works wonders on icy snow.
                  Crossbow (go to dream board)
                  Most everything else over time.
                  Go Android

Comment

Another option that you could always do (not my preference) is bomb the icy areas until you get back into some snow and slow yourself down and continue from there.
                    >>>This is my Signature.<<<

Comment

If you can get to a corner with better snow do it. Because skiboards have a extreme shap turning area unlike skis. If you make fast hard carvs on ice you will be fine. I kept sliding out on icy steeps, but i found as i went faster and made turns quicker the ice wont cause you to catch edges. Bombing it until good snow is a good suggestion but its all ice try to make tight turns to slow down if you must, this will help you stay in control of obstacles and thin areas.
                      Revel8 ALP 110cm 06-07
                      Bomber Elite Bindings
                      Tecnica Vento 8 Ultra fit 06-07
                      Revel8 Gear bag
                      Anon Figment Rasta Goggles
                      Leedom Scream Helmet (Alpine)

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel
                        Hugoshi.....you need to try this. Now I am going to try to describe what to do, but it is more awkward to describe than to do. You need to tip your boards up on edge NOT by leaning, but by swinging your knees to the side. Try this at home. Put your boots on, and standing on carpet, bend your knees forward a little, then just swing both knees to one side. You will see your boots tip up on edge, which is what you need for carving, but your weight is still straight down, which makes the edges bite, and stops them sliding out. You only need to lean enough to resist the centrifugal force, which is quite low untill you get going really fast. This will also help you keep your boards close together and fairly evenly weighted, which resists chatter. Also works wonders on icy snow.
                        valmorel, thanks. I've been working on this, it's helped, but I'm not great at it yet. I've also had no opportunities to practice because recently, there's been lots of snow, so no ice =)

Comment

Working...
                        X