Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Release Binding Mounting Options for KTPs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Release Binding Mounting Options for KTPs?

I am currently riding a pair of KTPs with non-release Receptor Bindings... Didn't realize what a pain in the ass non-release bindings would be. I like how lite weight the receptors are and how I feel really connected to the boards. I would like to install release bindings on them, but I don't really want risers... What are my mounting options? Can I take them to a ski shop and have something fabricated?

Ask Bill, the skiboard MacGyver. (or BILL!!, as I like to call him)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    171cm/190lbs
    Current Favorites:
    RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
    Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
    Other boards I'm trying:
    Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Has anybody checked the new Burton step in snowboard binding yet?

Comment

i doubt that any ski shop would fabricate for you, there is just too much liability in it for them with binding modifications.

Here are some options;

The first question would be, why not risers? The Spruce risers really are the most elegant solution to using release bindings on skiboards. There are pros and cons to them, but they retain the boards flex profile with a small footprint, are easy to remove, easy to step in, and give extra leverage.

You could make your own custom risers. I made my own risers out of HDPE and the Binding Freedom insert system. That way I could customize the height and shape of the riser to keep the weight down, retain the flex profile and use my own bindings.

Although some have done it, direct mounting to skiboards with screws is not recommended as the boards are so much thinner than skis. Some have used junior sizes screws or even helicoils, but you always run the risk of the bindings pulling out. And remember, one of the reasons we don't direct mount is that it affects the flex of the boards, and therefore their designed performance envelope.

You could install a "binding plate" to the top of the skiboard to help secure the screws, similar to Spruce's Dynaplate.

You could consider installing one of the binding rail systems, but again, screw retention may be an issue.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Are your custom risers the ones shown on your SIIs? If yes, I would prefer something like that... they look smaller and lighter than the Spruce risers... I want lite weight and the ability to choose my own bindings. How much did you spend creating your set up, and can you point me in the direction of how to proceed with something like your set up? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
            ......The first question would be, why not risers? The Spruce risers really are the most elegant solution to using release bindings on skiboards. There are pros and cons to them, but they retain the boards flex profile with a small footprint, are easy to remove, easy to step in, and give extra leverage....
            I'll second the positive thoughts on the Spruce Risers. Early on, in my skiboarding experience, I was focused on finding a lighter solution but after years of trying different things I have found that they are an elegant system and the weight has become negligible. If you are looking to mount a particular binding on the riser that is not offered by Spruce I would suggest you reach out to Jeff Singer (who is Spruce) to see if he can accommodate the binding

If you don't care about the release function and are just looking at something that is easier to get in and out of you might want to consider a boot that accepts Fintec heels. This would gives you a "step-in" non-release binding. You might have to change boots and hunt for the binding parts but this set-up has all the lightweight benefits of non-release bindings with the convenience of step-in release bindings. You would essentially be adapting a step-in snowboarding hardboot for use on a skiboard.

Here is Forum Member Crazyboy-1's (Tim) Youtube demo:

The photos from his original thread on how he built these were lost when Photobucket became a pay service but I am sure he would provide his thoughts and tips if you wanted to learn more. Here is the link to that old thread if you want to check it out just for the text:

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=12827
            Boards:
            2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
            2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
            2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
            2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
            2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
            2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
            2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I thought about making a step in, non release set up like that, but I don’t think they sell bomber bindings anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 716robertd View Post
                Are your custom risers the ones shown on your SIIs? If yes, I would prefer something like that... they look smaller and lighter than the Spruce risers... I want lite weight and the ability to choose my own bindings. How much did you spend creating your set up, and can you point me in the direction of how to proceed with something like your set up? Thanks!
                Correct. They are smaller, but not specifically lighter. The next step in the evolution of my bindings was to use a router to take excess weight off the bottom of the risers. I think a lot of material could be removed without challenging the structural integrity of the risers. Maybe up to a third?

Here is the link to the Binding Freedom project;

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...hlight=freedom
                Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I thought about making a step in, non release set up like that, but I don’t think they sell bomber bindings anymore.
                  You should probably be able to find some used. If not, I reached out to Bomber directly last year and they still had some you just have to contact them directly. Also codaboards.com sells them. Keep in mind buying them new is not cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since you are putting these on KTPs you may have an alternative option to go with an F2 Intech Binding. These wont work on a narrower skiboards but KTPs may be wide enough to accommodate these. I don't think these would be a robust at a converted Bomber and Fintec heels but it's an option to look at.

http://www.f2.com/snow/bindings.php
                    Boards:
                    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Hi Rob, this is also in reply to your PM.

As other folks have pointed out, the only practical step-in nonrelease setup is Crazyboy-1 (Tim’s) Bomber setup with fin-tec heels using intec-compatable hardshell Snowboard boots. A bonus with this system is an even stouter and more direct connection than the nonrelease bindings you enjoy using now. Unfortunately though it’s true, Bomber hasn’t made a run of skiboard bindings (that you could directly bole the correct heel-piece to) for several years. With their ownership change, etc., they probably never will. It shouldn’t be too hard, though, to find a used set by posting a WTB notice here in the buy/sell section. While a good solution, all these parts in addition to buying a pair of hardshell snowboard boots would be pricey.

The chances of finding a ski shop helpful with this project is somewhere between zero and none. It’s more likely they would behave like you came from outer space. If you did want to try it though, there are plenty of folks here (especially Tim) who would bend over backwards to help.

Valmorel (and Slow) here on the forum have experimented with a modified nonrelease binding using a spring-loaded heel piece that doesn’t make it exactly step-in, but does make the binding a lot easier to clamp into. Unfortunately, this is a pretty intense shop project.

The Tyrolia Attack series bindings mounted on Spruce risers is super-secure and approaches the performance of nonrelease bindings. Of the release binding options, that’s probably what will come closest to the performance you like in your receptors.

One of these days, maybe someone will come up with a binding that’s light, secure and easy-in as Tim’s Fin-tec setup AND works with regular ski boots, but that hasn’t happened yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        Since you are putting these on KTPs you may have an alternative option to go with an F2 Intech Binding. These wont work on a narrower skiboards but KTPs may be wide enough to accommodate these. I don't think these would be a robust at a converted Bomber and Fintec heels but it's an option to look at.

http://www.f2.com/snow/bindings.php
                        There are several pin-type step-in hardboot systems out there for alpine snowboarding. Any of them could be adapted or modified to work with skiboards, and some of them have been. What makes Tim's deal so elegant is A) the Fin-tec heels are super-cool and B)The binding heel pieces are a drop-in fit to Bomber skiboard bindings.

Wookie's makes a good point, a lot of these binding baseplates intended for alpine snowboards might work more-or-less as-is with super-wide boards like KTP's.

Comment

Thank you all for taking time to post on this topic... very insightful!

Comment

I am currently riding a pair of KTPs with non-release Receptor Bindings... Didn't realize what a pain in the ass non-release bindings would be. I like how lite weight the receptors are and how I feel really connected to the boards. I would like to install release bindings on them, but I don't really want risers... What are my mounting options? Can I take them to a ski shop and have something fabricated?
                            Sorry if I'm a bit late to the thread, but you must ride at a hill with a gondola. I find non-releasable bindings super convenient for hills with chairlifts and never thought twice about them once my boards were on. Last year it was a mandatory gondola every second run, which meant mucking about constantly with the bindings and leashes, which were heavily enforced.
                            umm... I prefer to ride unleashed if I can get away with it, they're a hazard IMO
                            BOARDSLAYER
                            Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                            Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                              Sorry if I'm a bit late to the thread, but you must ride at a hill with a gondola. I find non-releasable bindings super convenient for hills with chairlifts and never thought twice about them once my boards were on. Last year it was a mandatory gondola every second run, which meant mucking about constantly with the bindings and leashes, which were heavily enforced.
                              umm... I prefer to ride unleashed if I can get away with it, they're a hazard IMO
                              Leashes are a hazard? Really? Why?
                              Next time that you ride on a chairlift, watch how close other folk's skis/snowboards often get to your non-release binding's toe release catches. Think of the consequences if they accidentally got flipped wide open and the skiboard wasn't attached to your leg via a leash.
                              Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                              Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                              Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Working...
                              X