X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here! Hello all and purchace reccomend pls

Hey all,

Whoa! I'm so happy I found this place!!

Here is my story, and how I got here. I grew up on the east coast, Boston, and started skiing from age 5-6. At 14 I got a pair of Solomon Snowblades and never looked back. They were just so so so good for the ice and hard pack. Way more fun! I'm ~30 now so been rocking the blades a long time. I always had a pair of "proper skis" but they were almost never ridden, 2x a season was a lot.

Since Jan of 16, I'm living in SoCal, Long Beach, and so my mountains and home field conditions have changed up big time. My first year out here in early '16 I hit BigBear a bit and the blades did great, very similar to east coast groomers and hard pack as it is almost 100% man made there. 2017 comes along and I'm Mammoth bound. Powder, its awesome, but the blades didn't do the trick... AT ALL.

I bought some 2017 Blizzard Brahmas, 180cm. They handled the powder fine, and are a killer West Coast all mountain, one quiver ski, but F$%& I HATE long skis. I'm indifferent to poles, sometime I use em with the blades, other times I don't. I always take em along when I'm on the big boys for the lift lines, but rarely use em on the way down....

I just got back from a 4 day stint in Whistler Canada as Mammoth is not getting much snow this year. It snowed at least a foot every day and night we were there. Early runs were magical but after lunch was a sloppy slush fest. Still deepest pow I have ever seen/skied.

POW is cool, I want to ski more POW and learn it, but I am sad I needed long skis... or so I thought

All I wish was that I had shorties. I hated the stance I needed and the 180's are a huge huge workout. Turning is like steering a cruise ship...lame. I rocked the blades for a half day and when I wasn't sinking, I was eating shit. Had to go back on the big boys.

I got home and found this place and the RVL8 and boy that made me tingle down under.

Time to get a couple pairs but I could use some help deciding.

About me, 5'9 205, mostly casual, playful, and once in a while hard charge aggressive. I love groomers, glades, and the park mostly little air and lots of boxes n rails. I stay out of the trees. Pow is new to me but it looks like I need to learn to love it as I have no plans of leaving the west coast.

Mountains I will be at
    Mammoth 50-60%
    Big Bear 20-30%
    Whistler - At least one trip a season
    Park City UT - One trip season
    Vail/Jackson hole - 1x season

I'm currently looking at 1-2 pairs, but want some advice from the people on them....

Replace my All mountain Blizzards with some - 2018 Blunt XL's - All mountain, pow, groomers
    Replace my tired Solomon Blades with some - Sticky Icky Icky's or Blunts - groomers, glades, park

Could the blunt XLs be my do it all? I also eyed the RC Condors and the Spliff, If I go for one of these, will I still want something sorter too?

I'm a happy camper with non-release(preferred) on or releases with leashes

Chime in ad help me spend some $$$$ and ditch the long boys, and the Solomons
    Thanks in advance
    ~Pete

Welcome! I've found the Blunt XLs to be an awesome all around board, but they especially shine in the powder. If you're riding Mammoth, you should try to meet up with Tom Bowen (Tom91381 on the forum) - he's got a huge collection and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let you try a few things out!

Comment

Blunt XLs are fantastic for powder. It seems most every west coast rider here has them. They are not as comfortable on groomers as other options, but with an adjustment in technique they do fine. XLs are not the best option in the park - you really need stiff cambered boards for jumps and rails. Raptors are another option to consider for powder - I like them a lot, and they offer a smoother ride on groomers.

Sticky Icky Icky's are great all mountain boards and a fine choice. But this year's new Crossbows are getting rave reviews and seem to edge out SIIs in many ways. Since you love groomers and glades, you may be well served by getting Crossbows as your first boards. You can set them back for powder days. Very versatile and forgiving. They may be the only boards you need even in powder. If they fall short for you in powder, you could get XLs. SIIs and Crossbows are not the best options in the park - they are just too soft for anything more than boxes and tiny jumps.

For park riding the most popular options seem to be DLPs and KTPs. Your size suggests DLPs may be a better fit due to its extra length - this gives you added stability on landings. Also DLPs are just great on hard pack carving and ice, and I find them a little more nimble side-to-side than KTPs.

I second the suggestion to meet up with a rider to try out some boards before buying them.

Edit - Also there are a lot of videos here of riders on XLs, Stickys, and Crossbows. They are worth a look. The pro rider videos on DLPs and KTPs are great, too.

Comment

Originally posted by botticelli View Post
        Hey all,

Here is my story, and how I got here. I grew up on the east coast, Boston, and started skiing from age 5-6. At 14 I got a pair of Solomon Snowblades and never looked back. They were just so so so good for the ice and hard pack. Way more fun! I'm ~30 now so been rocking the blades a long time. I always had a pair of "proper skis" but they were almost never ridden, 2x a season was a lot.

Since Jan of 16, I'm living in SoCal, Long Beach, and so my mountains and home field conditions have changed up big time. My first year out here in early '16 I hit BigBear a bit and the blades did great, very similar to east coast groomers and hard pack as it is almost 100% man made there. 2017 comes along and I'm Mammoth bound. Powder, its awesome, but the blades didn't do the trick... AT ALL.

I bought some 2017 Blizzard Brahmas, 180cm. They handled the powder fine, and are a killer West Coast all mountain, one quiver ski, but F$%& I HATE long skis. I'm indifferent to poles, sometime I use em with the blades, other times I don't. I always take em along when I'm on the big boys for the lift lines, but rarely use em on the way down....

I just got back from a 4 day stint in Whistler Canada as Mammoth is not getting much snow this year. It snowed at least a foot every day and night we were there. Early runs were magical but after lunch was a sloppy slush fest. Still deepest pow I have ever seen/skied.

POW is cool, I want to ski more POW and learn it, but I am sad I needed long skis... or so I thought

All I wish was that I had shorties. I hated the stance I needed and the 180's are a huge huge workout. Turning is like steering a cruise ship...lame. I rocked the blades for a half day and when I wasn't sinking, I was eating shit. Had to go back on the big boys.

I got home and found this place and the RVL8 and boy that made me tingle down under.

About me, 5'9 205, mostly casual, playful, and once in a while hard charge aggressive. I love groomers, glades, and the park mostly little air and lots of boxes n rails. I stay out of the trees. Pow is new to me but it looks like I need to learn to love it as I have no plans of leaving the west coast.

Mountains I will be at
        Mammoth 50-60%
        Big Bear 20-30%

I'm currently looking at 1-2 pairs, but want some advice from the people on them....

Replace my All mountain Blizzards with some - 2018 Blunt XL's - All mountain, pow, groomers
        Replace my tired Solomon Blades with some - Sticky Icky Icky's or Blunts - groomers, glades, park

Could the blunt XLs be my do it all? I also eyed the RC Condors and the Spliff, If I go for one of these, will I still want something sorter too?

Thanks in advance
        ~Pete
        Hi Pete,

I'm in Mammoth this week if you want to hook up. I've got every Skiboard you want here in my garage. I'm trying the New Crossbow today.

Pm me and I'll give my cell phone number.

R

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
        rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
        ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Originally posted by rickylink View Post
          Hi Pete,

I'm in Mammoth this week if you want to hook up. I've got every Skiboard you want here in my garage. I'm trying the New Crossbow today.

Pm me and I'll give my cell phone number.

R

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
          Come out to Shredfest this!

Rick ><)))°>
          rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
          ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Definitely take Rick up on that offer. Having the opportunity to get time on boards before buying is almost priceless.

I will add that I recommend going for the bigger boards, if you want to be able to float well in powder. I'm about 6'3" 190lbs, and I rely on my Rockered Condors for powder days. I've also had good success riding them all over the mountain, once I got used to the uniqueness of the rockered ride. The regular Condors are also a good option, but they do require a bit more work in powder. For groomers and park, the traditional cambered boards are my preference. KTP's, DLP's, or Revolts all work really well.

Spliffs may also work for you, but i haven't had the chance to ride those yet, so I can't say for sure.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
              ....Spliffs may also work for you, but i haven't had the chance to ride those yet, so I can't say for sure.
              These would be my suggestion. Spliffs for the park and powder. SIIs for groomer days.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post

I will add that I recommend going for the bigger boards, if you want to be able to float well in powder. I'm about 6'3" 190lbs, and I rely on my Rockered Condors for powder days. I've also had good success riding them all over the mountain, once I got used to the uniqueness of the rockered ride.
                For a "real" nonrelease-compliant powder board, I'm totally with Tim here, nothing does the job like Rockered Condors. It's a totally unique skiboard and (with little fore-aft support) they can take some getting used to, but these things do all the work for you 3-D powder. With a little practice they're good---and big fun--- in any conditions. Honest to goodness...in knee-deep sticky powder they'll turn as easily as your blades will on hardpack...it's so cool.

For a general resort-ride all-purpose nonrelease skiboard, personally I'm a fan of the SII, but everyone has different riding styles and it's tricky to generalize. The BluntXL's are excellent, too. If you get a chance to meet up with Rick and ride different boards, that's the smart play. Rick's a great guy and he'll have a copy of any skiboard worth trying out.

Comment

Originally posted by botticelli View Post
                  Hey all,

Mountains I will be at
                  Mammoth 50-60%
                  Big Bear 20-30%

Thanks in advance
                  ~Pete
                  I will be heading to Mammoth this coming Sat.
                  I live in Santa Clarita, and usually just do a day trip to there as the hotel prices have gone up beyond my comfort.
                  And like Courtney said
                  Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                  Welcome! I've found the Blunt XLs to be an awesome all around board, but they especially shine in the powder. If you're riding Mammoth, you should try to meet up with Tom Bowen (Tom91381 on the forum) - he's got a huge collection and I'm sure he'd be more than happy to let you try a few things out!
                  I have a few your welcome to try.
                  Crossbows, Stickys, condors, revolts, slapdash,DLP's , spruce 120's, summit carbons

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I think almost any combination of a cambered board and a rockered board should make a nice two board quiver for you with a significant overlap. For the park you really should get one of the pro boards; KTP, DLP, BWP or Revolts. For softer days you have the XLs, RCs, Spliffs and Ickys. And that is without considering the long board options.

I like shorties, so my quiver would be Ickys and BWPs.

If you are more aggressive, I don't think you could go wrong with Courtney's wider KTP and XL quiver.
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Spliffs for powder days, and especially the afternoon and day-after chopped up powder remnants. They transition really well between different snow depths, and are a breeze to land into deep powder. I don't like them for hardpack or groomers, but as long as there's a little bit of soft stuff, they shine. I've never tried the RCs but it sounds like they'd be better on the 25 cm and up powder days (I still like a bit of camber in my ride, though). When it gets that deep, the Spliffs float fine but I need to stay on pretty steep terrain to keep speed.

I picked up a pair of DLPs this year and they work awesome for everything the Spliffs don't do, with a little bit of overlap. I find them harder to ride in fresh powder or variable conditions, but they do work great for those days when you get a small amount of fresh snow over a harder base. Absolutely awesome for carving the groomers with full control.

I'm 6'1", 165 lb, charge double blacks most of the time and prefer longer boards for stability, so those two models seem to cover the full range of what I ride quite nicely. Pretty much what Bad Wolf is recommending, but around that 109/110 cm mark. I love my non-releasable bindings so that's as long as I'll go for now.
                      BOARDSLAYER
                      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

WhazzUp, Pete! Welcome to SBOL.

I can't add much more about board selection. But, I will add a suggestion that in Utah stay on the SLC side of the mountain. The resorts on that side get much better snow than Park City.

Comment

Working...
                        X