RIP Mihail Popov (Kocho)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Mihail Popov (Kocho)

Friends - This post will be short as I am still in shock of this news. Sadly, our friend and tremendous contributor to this forum and the sport of skiboarding, Mihail Popov, has passed away. There are limited details at this time, but apparently he died in a skiing accident early on December 31 at Whitetail Ski Resort. Mihail leaves behind his wife Dora and a 13 year old daughter, who loved to ski together as a family.

You can read the limited information here:
    http://www.dcski.com/articles/1530
    http://www.publicopiniononline.com/s...ail/993546001/

His wife Dora is trying to find anyone who witnessed the accident here:
    https://www.facebook.com/dora.iakova
    Last edited by macrophotog; 01-05-2018, 07:26 PM. Reason: Added photo of Mihail

Terrible, terrible news. May he rest in peace, and prayers for his family.

Comment

Macro shared this with me shortly before posting and other than shock its tough to express how sad this is. Mihale was a great guy, loved skiing/skiboarding, and loved sharing his passion with friends, family and even strangers. He is gone way too soon and will certainly be missed.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Really awful to hear this. Never had the pleasure of riding with him since I moved back to Colorado but talked about skiboarding with him often.

Will be missed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        The Skiboard Connection
        https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheSkiboardConnection/

Comment

Very, very sad news. Our prayers are with his family and friends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Wow! No way! This is crazy sad! I watched the videos of him riding the Sherpas that he posted on Christmas. He looked like a very safe and skilled skier. I hope they're able to find out what happened.
            Boards/Bindings:
            2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
            2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
            2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
            Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
            Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Sad news.
              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Very, very sad to hear this. I keep waiting for the 'gotcha!'. I've not had the opportunity to meet him, but we've messaged and emailed quite a bit over the last year or so and, based on that and the many vids he's posted, came to think he was a pretty nice fella. I'm really sorry I'll not get the chance to meet him. My family will be praying for his.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                171cm/190lbs
                Current Favorites:
                RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                Other boards I'm trying:
                Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

Very heartbreaking

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely shocking. RIP Kocho, we often forget that our next trip to the hill or mountain may very well be our last. Sending my condolences to the family. This community is small and any loss is felt deep within it.

Comment

This is a real shock. He will be missed. He was a great addition to our skiboarding community. He shared a lot of his good ideas and technical solutions. I learned a lot from watching his video on how to install inserts. This is a huge loss.
                      Now: 08 Sherpa's (2), Atomic 120's, 2013 125 Protos, 125 LEs, 2014 Sherpas, Osprey protos, 2015 Blunt XL's, 2016 Ospreys, Ethan Too twintip skis,2017 Shredfest One of kind Spliffs, 2018 Crossbows
                      Bindings: Spruce Risers and Tyrolia LD12's
                      Boots: Full Tilt Booters, Tecnica Agent 110
                      History: Atomic shorty's, Sporten, Groove Taxis, Head 94's, ALPs, Spruce 120 Blue boards, Custom Lacroixs, Rocker Condors, 08 Summit 110's, Hagan offlimits 133's, Rossi 130's, 2011 Summit Marauders

Comment

Very sad. I skied with him a few years ago at a small place in VA while on the way to Charlottesville and we spent a few hours using each others boards. He was a very capable skier and boarder and above all else a very nice guy. My condolences to his family.

Comment

This is the sort of shocking and heartbreaking news that leaves you at a loss for words. Our sympathies and prayers go out to Mihail’s friends and family. I always looked forward to his thoughtful forum contributions, and (along with a handful of other forum regulars who we haven’t yet had a chance to visit in person) looked forward to meeting him some day. He will be missed.

Comment

Wow.... I don't even know what to say.
                            facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

My condolences to his family, friends and forum buddies.
                              BOARDSLAYER
                              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                              X