Carnage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carnage

It's been a rough few days for my boards... the hill's been pretty snow deficient so far this year, so I've stuck to my old Canon M7s to save rock damage to my new (last season) Spliffs. I figured I'd bring the Spliffs out when we got some decent snow accumulation.

Until Sunday, when I cracked one of my Canons bad just behind the binding.

It took me a few turns to figure it out; I thought I was just having a really terrible run because I kept falling on my butt every second turn... had to limp down. At least it was the end of the day.

The good news? It snowed 23 cm overnight and I had a day of great joy on Monday rocking out on the Spliffs. There were a few hidden rocks out there for sure, but I didn't really hit any. Spent a good portion of the day bouncing down boulder-strewn slopes in deep delicious powder.

Today, I didn't bother getting up the hill too early; there was only 1 cm overnight and everyone's been buzzing about Wednesday as a big snowstorm has socked itself in. It's been dumping nonstop since this morning. I finally hauled my butt up the hill for a few afternoon runs, figuring it had only been getting better all day. And hey, they'd opened up some new terrain! Headed down through the trees and found some fresh lines with some nice little powder mounds to bounce off of... then CRUNCH! CRASH! BOOM! Smacked into three 'sharks' (hidden boulders) hard and fast. Stayed on my feet, but was feeling sick about what I'd just done to my poor Spliffs. Managed to scrub over a couple of garden-variety early season rocks on my way back to the chair, just to add insult to injury.

I was afraid to look until I got to the top of the chair, but when I did, it turns out I bent the crap out of one of my edges, pushing it upward and a bit out. The camber isn't supposed to look like this:

(yes, that's the edge of the base ptex you can see below the metal edge)

Didn't even notice the core shot on the other edge until I got home.

Not sure I should be riding on that edge, but tomorrow's shaping up to be an absolutely epic powder day, so damn the torpedoes! I did patch up the core shot with some ptex to keep the edge on that side from blowing out. I'll get it into the shop for repairs over the holidays, if they can fix it.

At least the Canons had the excuse of being 20 years old, but the Spliffs have only about 20 days of riding on them. Should have stayed home today. :P
    BOARDSLAYER
    Base / Edge Destruction X X X
    Cores Snapped X X X

It's always frustrating to damage your gear, but riding is what it's all about. I've had a cracked sidewall on my KTPs for years and it surprisingly hasn't gotten worse. Fix what you reasonably can and get back out there! We can always replace gear, but time is limited

Comment

Thanks.

Rode a good day on them yesterday, then dropped them off at the shop. They're not going to be able to get the edge back into place (looks like some core damage on that side), but will at least get the base sealed up in that area and make them ridable again.

Will be putting in an order for another pair of Spliffs soon to make sure I don't get stuck without a viable pair, but I guess I've got a good pair of rock boards again. I'll also have a decent pair of loaners now for people who what to try the sport.
      BOARDSLAYER
      Base / Edge Destruction X X X
      Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
      X