Looking for new skiboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by T.ob17 View Post
    Also do you guys notice much thigh burn with the Ickys or not horrible?

OB
    Thigh burn is more about a person's leg fitness than the boards being ridden. Also the snow conditions play a major part in it. If you're riding powder all day and leaning back on the tails, you're going to get some degree of thigh burn. With that said. I find the Ickys to probably be the most comfortable riding boards in the RVL8 lineup that I've ridden.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      I find the Ickys to probably be the most comfortable riding boards in the RVL8 lineup that I've ridden.
      Sempai,

I have really looked into all of forums and reviews on here by the Ickys and overall been greatly impressed. Talking to other guys about them and they say the same thing you do. I just am having a hard time picking between the length of the Crossbows and the Ickys. Like you said in an earlier reply once they hit the market reviews should start flying in. Just don't want to be left on the short end with them flying off the shelves.

OB

Comment

I find that for me longer boards are actually less tiring than short skiboards. I am less tired skiing full sized Volkl RTM 84 skis in 176cm length and 18m turn radius or skiing the Ospreys than I am skiing the Ickies. And on a wide open slope the long skis could be more fun zooming fast big carving turns or going down a steep slope where having full length under foot is good for controlling your speed. On a small resort, or when skiing with a slow company or kids, I much prefer the shorter skiboards over long skis - make more and tighter turns, less weight, more fun overall I think. But still more tiring than skis

If your dad is riding in the back seat a bit, something that even short but stiff boards allow, he will have to go through a period of adjustment with the Ickies. This is because they are a little less supportive (more flexible andwith rocketed ends) than a chambered stiff board. On the other hand, if he has been riding centered, then no issue.

I had the Revolts and later the Ickies. The Ickies handle the skied off chop and softer conditions that develop in the afternoon on groomed runs very well and I think better than the Revolts. And they retain more of that very short skiboard feel than the Ospreys that I recommended. However, I find longer boards like the Ospreys (or even full length skis) less tiring at the end of a long day than skiboards: they are less nimble, but more stable and more relaxing. The Ospreys can handle a wider range of conditions tha the Stickies too. Yup, they do loose a lot of that short board feel. You can feel the weight and length and you have to slow down your movements a little vs. a 99cm board. The Stickies are more nimble and only hit a limit for me at 200lb in really deep powder (more than ankle deep), where the Ospreys keep going there and are are ton of fun.

The Crossbows, if they indeed ski like slightly bigger Ikkies, I expect will be a great option, keeping more of the short board feel than a 120s and the Ospreys, while giving bigger riders that little bit more performance in softer conditions without sacrificing too much maneuverability and agility of riding. The 120s, I felt were great, but similar to the Ospreys, they are more ski-like than the Ickies and other short boards (in that they reward good ski technique and with the added length are and bit less agile the shorties). The 120s also behave more like the chambered boards they are than the Ickies or the Ospreys - the ends will be felt, especially in less than ideal conditions, where with the Ickies or the Ospreys, even though they are slightly longer, the ends release easier. The 120s are still skiboard-like, just have a bit more long ski DNA in them.

I like having two kinds of boards - one for nice firm groomed conditions (narrower, edgier, carvier) and one for deep, choppy, or powdery conditions (wide, floaty, easy to maneuver in deep conditions). Note that I did not mention length in this choice - lenght is a different dimension and consideration for me - I can enjoy a short fat skiboard on a soft day just as much I might enjoy a long fat ski, just in different ways. And a skinny edgy long ski does not feel good on a soft deep day just like a stiff skinny chambered skiboard doesn't fare well there (but both would excel on a nice groomer where the fat short or long boards will be out of their element).

If you are restricted to one board, and you want it to be on the short side but still easy to ride and versatile, the Ickies or maybe the Crossbow for a heavier rider I think will be the best option.

Comment

Originally posted by T.ob17 View Post
          I just am having a hard time picking between the length of the Crossbows and the Ickys.
          In my opinion and with all due respect I think you may be over analyzing. Sticky's are good, solid, all-around boards. Reviews by most of us are highly favorable and frankly our nit picking about where it might fall short vs other boards is small potatoes for your dad's riding profile. He will be getting a great upgrade from those 99's that the differences between Sticky's and Crossbows are going to be relatively minor for him. And so much will depend upon your dad's style anyway. Several of my older intermediate skier friends who have tried my Slapdashes and Sticky's can't tell them apart. I would personally go with what is proven vs unproven. Nobody (or very few) have ridden the Crossbows. They will likely be great boards. But Stickys are known to be great boards.

Comment

If you are between the two, and because you said you have time, maybe wait on the Crossbow reviews or preorder them. If they do fly off the shelves you'll have a pair if they are great. If they turn out to be not what you are looking for you can sell them on the forums for almost cost (especially if unused), and feel confident the SIIs will be available on SBOL since both graphics are available.

Just my thoughts on an option to approach this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Toro View Post
              If you are between the two, and because you said you have time, maybe wait on the Crossbow reviews or preorder them. If they do fly off the shelves you'll have a pair if they are great. If they turn out to be not what you are looking for you can sell them on the forums for almost cost (especially if unused), and feel confident the SIIs will be available on SBOL since both graphics are available.
              It is a good idea and mentioned earlier is the demo program from SBOL, which I may end up doing just to compare the two. Buy the Crossbows and Spruce set up and then demo the Ickys. Compare and hell if he likes one and I like one I may say screw it and buy them Ickys haha.

Like everyone has said on here best to have 2 sets of boards anyways.

OB

Comment

Working...
              X