"To Detune or not to Detune"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "To Detune or not to Detune"

Hey quick question getting ready for some park riding this summer into next season. do I need to detune my edges like on bigger skis, as to not catch an edge while on features. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What boards do you have? Are they rockered?

Comment

I have some 90cm Tansho, and looking at getting some 110cm DLPs. But neither are rockered.

Comment

Originally posted by Melodhrama View Post
        do I need to detune my edges like on bigger skis
        Detuning softens the "bite" in the tips and tails which tends make transitioning in and out of an edge less harsh. Because skiboards have an exaggerated sidecut compared to skis---making the tips and tails relatively "grabby"---the benefit of detuning is probably even greater with skiboards compared to skis, at least on ice and hardpack. It's less relevant riding on softer snow.

Tanshos and DLP's are relatively stiff, tight sidecut, high camber skiboards. All of these characteristics tend to make detuning more effective. On relaxed sidecut, softer, low/no camber boards ridden in softer snow, detuning won't make much if any difference. How this all interacts with park features, I don't ride park so don't really know. It seems like I've heard park riders comment that they don't mind if their edges are dull full-length, that it doesn't really matter in the park.

Comment

Hey Melo,

I, along with other park riders used to take the time to detune, but what I have found is that the rails take care of the detuning for you after a run or two.
          You can take the time to do it if you want, but I would say it's not necessary
          facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Thank you guy's I appreciate the comments.

Comment

Best advice is to carry a stone with you on the hill. It's easy to knock a edge down if they feel like they are grabbing. Harder to tune them back up when you find you detuned too much before you got them on the hill.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Ok cool, would a gummy stone work?

Comment

Originally posted by Melodhrama View Post
                  Ok cool, would a gummy stone work?
                  Yup. That's what I carry in my bag to detune and deburr while on the hill. I rarely detune my skiboards and typically only do edge maintenance on the hill when one of my kids have buggered up their skis/boards and feel a burr is catching on rails or boxes but it does not hurt to have a stone to make on the fly edge adjustments.
                  Boards:
                  2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                  2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                  2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                  2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                  2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                  2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                  2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                  2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...
                  X