Video: East coast back country season on Spliffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video: East coast back country season on Spliffs

This season I found a back country club that was accessible by public transit. One subway ride and two buses. Three hours each way. The club has a propane heated hut at the base with a few ski racks, and in the summer a team of volunteers clears the vegetation. There are 275 memberships sold every year first come first serve, although many people who are not members also ski here as there is no policing, there are no employees, just members and volunteers. Memberships are 40$ for the year. Oh there is no chairlift, skin or snowshoe up.

I really like this kind of model over the regular ski resorts. Does anyone know any other kind of clubs or hills like this?
    Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Very nice. I like.
    Boards/Bindings:
    2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
    2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
    2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
    Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
    Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
      Very nice. I like.
      That's was cool , what a way to spend the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
        ....I really like this kind of model over the regular ski resorts. Does anyone know any other kind of clubs or hills like this?
        Very cool set-up. This season I would be happy with natural snow at a "regular ski" resort, backcountry is a bit out of the question given the lack of snow. I am starting to think snow will just be something I fondly remember and tell my grandkids about.

One question, are you riding solo on these excursions or with a partner/group? If solo aren't you concerned about getting injured and being stranded or is the area frequently traveled by other skiers/riders?
        Boards:
        2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
        2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
        2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
        2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
        2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
        2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
        2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
        2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for posting! That looks like a really nice club. I had never heard of that concept - at least not at that affordable of a price. I know of some private ski areas out West, but they are for people with huge amounts of cash to drop.

Looks like a nice selection of terrain and you had some good snow the day you were filming. Very cool that you snowshoe up and rock Spliffs on the way down.
          In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
          Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
            Very cool set-up. This season I would be happy with natural snow at a "regular ski" resort, backcountry is a bit out of the question given the lack of snow. I am starting to think snow will just be something I fondly remember and tell my grandkids about.

One question, are you riding solo on these excursions or with a partner/group? If solo aren't you concerned about getting injured and being stranded or is the area frequently traveled by other skiers/riders?
            The trips to Alta have been solo. It is a concern for sure. It's one of the reasons I've switched to releasable bindings.

That said there are always a few other people on the hill, the whole area is in cellphone range and there is a ski shop about 15 min away that sort of manages the place, the owner is one of the main volunteers. You can buy memberships there or call them if you are in a pickle, or when the propane tanks are empty in the hut.

Relatively speaking, I think the risk is pretty low here.

Envoyé de mon MotoE2(4G-LTE) en utilisant Tapatalk

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

The trips to Alta have been solo. It is a concern for sure. It's one of the reasons I've switched to releasable bindings.

That said there are always a few other people on the hill, the whole area is in cellphone range and there is a ski shop about 15 min away that sort of manages the place, the owner is one of the main volunteers. You can buy memberships there or call them if you are in a pickle, or when the propane tanks are empty in the hut.

Relatively speaking, I think the risk is pretty low here.
              Sounds like an awesome set-up that gets you some of quiet and solitude of deep backcountry skiing with a lot of the safety and convenience of resort riding. A nice find for sure.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Very cool! You'd love Mount Bohemia. Any chance you'll make it out to join us sometime?

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
                  Very cool! You'd love Mount Bohemia. Any chance you'll make it out to join us sometime?
                  Hopefully within the next few years I will make it out to one of the meet ups. Mount Bohemia looks like a dream!

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Here's a map of the place. It's pretty small. Less than 200m altitude and anything that is not a black is usually not steep enough for powder and skiboard but still lots of fun to be had!

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Here's a map of the place. It's pretty small. Less than 200m altitude and anything that is not a black is usually not steep enough for powder and skiboard but still lots of fun to be had!

I didn't realize it had a lift. How often does the lift run - only on the weekends?

Do they groom any of the runs, especially the flatter runs to help make more terrain skiable due to lack of pitch?

Looks like a great place.
                      In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                      Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                        I didn't realize it had a lift. How often does the lift run - only on the weekends?

Do they groom any of the runs, especially the flatter runs to help make more terrain skiable due to lack of pitch?

Looks like a great place.
                        This is an old map when they had a lift. The ski resort went bankrupt and the lift was taken down. The club has right of passage on the property. Nothing is groomed ever. They trim the vegetation and fallen trees in the fall that's it.

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Very cool ! glad you were able to work an uphill system with snowshoes. I do really think that skiboards lend themselves to that solution . Did a number of trips that way and worked great ! One of our backcountry areas we used to ski was on old abandoned ski area , but over the many years that we have skiied trees and brush have grown back in and made the runs we used to ski pretty unskiable ,, so it is super cool that there is repurposing your old ski area into a club with folks doing thinning in the fall .
                          Very nice ! ps . I agree with you that the Spliffs are a super cool board for riding this kind of snow
                          Boards :
                          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                          Boots
                          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                          Bindings:
                          Zero Pro Non release Binding
                          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
                          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
                          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
                          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Working...
                          X