No announcement yet.

Why must you be Tall for Longer Boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why must you be Tall for Longer Boards?

On SBOL the minimum height for non-release is pretty high for all boards 105 and up.
    What's the reasoning behind that?

Hi Synn,

I believe this is due to safety issues with non-release bindings. The smallerthe ratio between your height and the skiboard height, the greater the risk of a lower leg injury with a non-release binding. If you're 5 feet tall, a 105cm board is more likely to cause and injury in a fall than if you are 6 feet tall.

This of course does not apply to release bindings. You would be safe riding a board (or ski) of any reasonable length with properly set up release bindings.

Another thing to note is that there has never been any real research done of what constitutes the threshold between reasonably safe and unsafe with respect to non-release bindings. We just know that the longer the board, the greater the risk. You could use a board longer than recommended for your height with non-release bindings, but that would be up to your individual risk tolerance. I certainly wouldn't do it or recommend it myself.

Greco could surely speak in more detail about how he arrives at those numbers.

Comment

Working...
    X