Old Blades !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Blades !

Like most of us on the forum, I started on blades and then moved on to skiboards. As much fun as blades are, at some point you realize their limitations and know you need to upgrade. That moment came for me when I got bogged down in just six inches of new, wet snow.

I found my old blades last weekend in a dusty corner of my garage, cleaned them off, sharpened up the edges and gave them a fresh coat of wax. I had a ton of fun riding them up at Snowbowl today on the fresh groomers. After years of wide skiboards, it was like strapping on a pair of racing skis. First off, they are so light. Cheap capped construction and plastic bindings really don't weigh much, it was like having nothing more than skates on your feet. Typically, the non release bindings were a pain to put on, I swear the bales were bending as I snapped the plastic toe pieces into place. Their narrow profile made turns so fast and the edges bit into the snow like glue. Surprisingly fast as well. They really do embody what minimalism is all about in sports. Pure fun.

As much fun as there were on the groomers, I knew that was all I could ever get out of them. Skibaords are so much more versatile in varied conditions. But, it did take me back. Back to that first moment when you realize how easy it can be to have fun on the slopes.

So, if you can find your old blades, dust them off, get nostalgic and rediscover how you got into the sport.

Here they are; the LK Pro Blades from 5th Element. Classic capped construction with composite bindings. But hey, they do have a wood core!

Just these, nothing else !

All so true. Blades are really great as long as they are used as intended. Back in the day, I spent a little time traveling around Switzerland with a pair. So easy to take on buses. Light and compact. Still have them somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Crossbow (go to dream board)
    Most everything else over time.
    Go Android

Comment

I still have mine (at least when my daughters let me have them back). They are fun to revisit every so often when the snow is just right and make great loaners. You never forget your first love!
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I've been looking for a cheap pair at a thirft store or something to add to my quiver. I remember the Salomon Snoblades that got me into skiboarding, those things were still hella fun.
        Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
          I've been looking for a cheap pair at a thirft store or something to add to my quiver. I remember the Salomon Snoblades that got me into skiboarding, those things were still hella fun.
          99 cents US starting bid on eBay -- they look pretty clean -- still have the leashes -- https://www.ebay.com/itm/222351086279

Good, clean, cheap fun just go easy in the park.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

''Does not ship to Canada''

darn!
            Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by roussel View Post
              ''does not ship to canada''

darn!
              doh!
              Boards:
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                I have a pair of line fly's that you can have for the price of shipping from Denver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Working...
                X