Super-wide brakes on narrow boards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super-wide brakes on narrow boards?

Will release bindings w/ "super" wide brakes work on both narrow boards (Revolts) and wide boards (Spliffs)? I'd like to have a single riser/binding set up with brakes that works well on both types.
    '16 Spliffs, Spruce Risers w/ Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings
    '08 Revolt Trees, Spruce Risers w/ Salomon 610 bindings

Jack Frost PA, Big Boulder PA, Blue Mountain PA, Camelback Mountain PA,
    Mountain Creek NJ, Breckenridge CO, Winter Park CO, Eldora CO

sigpic

Originally posted by mfbuckland View Post
    Will release bindings w/ "super" wide brakes work on both narrow boards (Revolts) and wide boards (Spliffs)? I'd like to have a single riser/binding set up with brakes that works well on both types.
    In the past, I've used my 145mm wide brakes (set up for RC's and BluntXL's) on narrower boards like the Revolt, Spruce 120's, etc. It seems the industry says never to go more than 15mm wider than the boards waist because you risk the extra wide arms getting tangled. I never personally had that problem, but know others that have. Last year, I bought a used riser/binding setup and put narrower brakes on it, so now it definitely won't be a problem. You could always give it a try and see what you think.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
      In the past, I've used my 145mm wide brakes (set up for RC's and BluntXL's) on narrower boards like the Revolt, Spruce 120's, etc. It seems the industry says never to go more than 15mm wider than the boards waist because you risk the extra wide arms getting tangled. I never personally had that problem, but know others that have. Last year, I bought a used riser/binding setup and put narrower brakes on it, so now it definitely won't be a problem. You could always give it a try and see what you think.

I have Revolts now with sport risers (Salomon 610 bindings from 2007ish) and leashes. I'm done w/ leashes, I want to step in and go. I also want to pick up some Blunt XLs with Pro risers & the super wide brakes and be able to move the risers onto the Revolts. From your reply it sounds like there is a way to just swap different brakes in and out of the bindings.

sigpic

Comment

I have Revolts now with sport risers (Salomon 610 bindings from 2007ish) and leashes. I'm done w/ leashes, I want to step in and go. I also want to pick up some Blunt XLs with Pro risers & the super wide brakes and be able to move the risers onto the Revolts. From your reply it sounds like there is a way to just swap different brakes in and out of the bindings.
        The brakes on most bindings are removable and interchangeable, so you can choose the brake width to suit your boards. But...........in order to change them out you have to unscrew the rear binding off the riser, or the ski if it is a direct mount. This is not recommended on the risers you have, as the screws are self tapping. The brake arms do have a little adjustment in them, they can be squeezed together to make them a little narrower.
        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

From your reply it sounds like there is a way to just swap different brakes in and out of the bindings.
          As BadWolf indicated, you could change the brake width on your bindings to a wider brake, but you should not consider them as interchangeable or contuously swappable. The self tapping screws really should not be removed and replacedrepeatedly because the aluminum of the riser is a softer metal and cross threading is easy - you don't want to have your bindings pull out of the riser when riding. I do not know if there are wide brakes available for your current salomon bindings but you could look into that first before purchasing a whole new set-up.

Comment

Some bindings have the brakes retract inwards when they are in the raised position, making them considerably narrower and out of the way. Some Markers I have do it as do the Knee bindings. It is a nice feature. So even wider brakes will be less in the way and mostly inside the board's width. Unfortunately, the Tyrolia ones that I have at hand don't do that.

Comment

Just remove the brakes all together and go with leashes. All last year I rode one set of Spruce Risers with SL100 bindings with no brakes but with leashes to satisfy the safety requirements of most mountains. The only drawbacks to this are: 1)the brakes aren't there to hold the skiboards in place while you step in and 2) your have to bend over to connect and disconnect the leashes. The benefits are 1) no brakes to get caught or swap out, 2)with leashes you never lose a board that pops off in powder or while you are on the lift, and 3) the leashes can act as a convenient carry handle when you are not riding the boards.

There are some that have a concern that the boards, when attached to you, might flail around in a fall and hit you but I have not found that to be the case. And crash tested it a few times.

Some guys prefer coil leashes but I like plain straps as they work better as a carry handle.
              Boards:
              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                Just remove the brakes all together and go with leashes.
                OP said "I have Revolts now with sport risers (Salomon 610 bindings from 2007ish) and leashes. I'm done w/ leashes"

Comment

Just remove the brakes all together and go with leashes. All last year I rode one set of Spruce Risers with SL100 bindings with no brakes but with leashes to satisfy the safety requirements of most mountains. The only drawbacks to this are: 1)the brakes aren't there to hold the skiboards in place while you step in and 2) your have to bend over to connect and disconnect the leashes. The benefits are 1) no brakes to get caught or swap out, 2)with leashes you never lose a board that pops off in powder or while you are on the lift, and 3) the leashes can act as a convenient carry handle when you are not riding the boards.

There are some that have a concern that the boards, when attached to you, might flail around in a fall and hit you but I have not found that to be the case. And crash tested it a few times.

Some guys prefer coil leashes but I like plain straps as they work better as a carry handle.
                  My current setup does have leashes (no brakes) and I never thought deciding on leashes or brakes would be harder than choosing new boards. I've never had a problem with them flailing either, they usually just end up hanging down-slope and you just drag them back up buy the leash. I love the built in carry handles by looping the leash around the front of the riser and I'm hoping the brakes will lock the boards together like normal length skis. I hate having to be like "hold on guys lemme strap up". I swear my snowboard friends take less time to strap in and my skier friends are already on the lift. I think I'm gonna keep the set up I have now on the Revolts w/ leashes and try to modify the leashes with carabiners (should be easy to clip one handed w/ mittens) on the end which I can just clip to the loop on the back of the boot. That also gives me an excuse to buy new boards w/ the Pro Prime risers w/ brakes.

sigpic

Comment

OP said "I have Revolts now with sport risers (Salomon 610 bindings from 2007ish) and leashes. I'm done w/ leashes"

My bad.
                    Boards:
                    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

My bad.
                      You're allowed one bad every now and then [emoji56]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm just a rookie OP and a semi-terrible ski-boarder so I wasn't gonna correct Wookie lol!

sigpic

Comment

I'm just a rookie OP and a semi-terrible ski-boarder so I wasn't gonna correct Wookie lol!
                          Nah, I need to be smacked around every so often. Besides Macrophotog usually scores me good deals to ski at his home mountain so he has pass to give me a little abuse/corrective discipline. If he goes too far it will be reflected when I tally the results of the 2017 Fastest Skiboarder contest.

mfbuckland -- BTW -- where are located? I see CO under your avatar but PA - Pocono resorts in your signature. I ask because I my ski base is the Poconos but we do a week in CO every March. We need to connect if we are riding the same snow at the same time!
                          Boards:
                          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

Nah, I need to be smacked around every so often. Besides Macrophotog usually scores me good deals to ski at his home mountain so he has pass to give me a little abuse/corrective discipline. If he goes too far it will be reflected when I tally the results of the 2017 Fastest Skiboarder contest.

mfbuckland -- BTW -- where are located? I see CO under your avatar but PA - Pocono resorts in your signature. I ask because I my ski base is the Poconos but we do a week in CO every March. We need to connect if we are riding the same snow at the same time!
                            I'm in Colorado now. I learned to ski as a teenager in CO, then to FL for 4 years and never saw snow. The military took me to NJ from '06-12 and I could ski again. Rented blades first time back out cuz it had been so long since I skied and heard it was a small learning curve, liked them, found SBOL that night and had Revolts in the mail the next day. Spent the next 6 years ski-boarding the Poconos and moved back to CO 3 years ago.

sigpic

Comment

Do you ski with your feet shoulder width apart gorilla style or are your ankles locked together when you ski?

As long as you have a gorilla stance, wide brakes shouldn't be a problem.

Comment

Working...
                              X